Upload Panorama to Facebook  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
dbehr

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Upload Panorama to Facebook

by dbehr » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:04 pm

Trying to upload a Autopano stiched image to Facebook, but FB dosen't recognize the image as 360 degrees, and only loads it as a regular image. From Autopano documentation, it seems that the Panorama image (*.jpg) can be uploaded directly to FB. What can be done ?

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

Re: Upload Panorama to Facebook

by marzipano » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:59 pm

Facebook has specific requiremets for treating uploaded jpg files as 360 panos

They have to be equirectangular (360 x 180) and the exif metadata must conform

This article explains it quite well

http://www.whitakerstudio.co.uk/blog/2016/6/15/facebook-360-photographs-tutorial

best
Martin

no avatar
dbehr

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by dbehr » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:55 am

Thx. But how to change in the Autopano Renderer ?. It dosen't allow to set a 1:2 aspect ratio.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:10 am

dbehr wrote:Thx. But how to change in the Autopano Renderer ?. It dosen't allow to set a 1:2 aspect ratio.

I would create the panorama as a spherical 360 x N panorama using APG.

Using the stats on APG to read off the width in pixels and create a blank jpg file of width x width/2 to get the outline of the equirectangular jpg and copy and paste your panorama into the middle of this blank file making sure the edges line up properly

Then use something like Irfanview to resize the pano to 6000 x 3000 (max allowed by Facebook)

Finally use something like exiftoolgui to set the exif entries for MAKE and MODEL to RICOH and RICOH THETA S as advised by Facebook as acceptable 360x180 cameras

Sounds a bit fiddly but I just did it myself to see if it works ( I normally link from Facebook straight across to my own website via Panotour/html) and it only took a few minutes

You cannot avoid ending up with a strip along the top and bottom the size of which depends on your original pano dimensions because Facebook does not have a way to restrict vertical FOV

This is an example of what got when I tested it just now. I happened to use a pano that was taken with a steep camera angle (29 degrees) hence the distorted appearance
Attachments
360 facebook.jpg

dbehr likes this post.