BUG!... ??   [SOLVED] - View the solution

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: BUG!... ??

by Destiny » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:21 am

I put my stacked images into APG from my new shooting pattern. APG is sooooo in tensely resource hungry.. My new iMac really struggled. Took a long time. I will never ever ever agree that stacking the entire pano sets and expecting software to support hardware and process images in this manner is an acceptable way of doing things.. Surprisingly enough, the final rendered pano looks quite nice.. but Photomatix processed still looks heaps better and is a heap quicker.. With APG using stacks and no hard links and no xml, there are heaps of small stitching errors.. Unacceptable really.. Same images into PTGui and the final render is about the same but, heap quicker, less resource hungry and no sticking errors.. I will still try XML to assist with stitching with APG to do a final test and put this topic to bed... The final render by rights should be perfect.. but I very much doubt that will be the case..

It will always remain the better option to prepress bracketed shots.. Its just a matter of choosing which software is best suited for your needs...

Destiny..

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:24 am

Destiny wrote:Back to the Topic of this Post. Using Hard Links, setting different Reference Images, this is what I get.. Therefore, its impossible to use Hard Links with my 14-24mm lens at 14mm focal as I have achieved with my 10.5mm fisheye....

I would say that as with my Title Post here, this is a bug.. or at least Buggy.. Now I will try to use the XML. Not that I will use the APG HDR/LDR options since its not that great, but.. I have some still images with a guy walking into the frame so he is now a Ghost.. How can I remove him without using APG... I use the Anti Ghost in Photomatix but he is there still ...

Destiny..

1) i suggest to use manual ghost-remove in Photomatix. Pro.
2) you can use masking in APG - works on layers also.
3) you can edit the shot with the guy in Photoshop prior to stitching. But take care of the adjacent images - you need background behind the guy.
4) you can use the perfectly working masking in PTGui.

One of the conditions with masking: don´t use short delays between shots! The moving objects need to move
along way enough to not overlap with the previous shot!
For masking you need an adjacent image which shows the background behind the object in the previous shot!
Using a short delay between shots this is not guaranteed. So 2 - 3 sec. between shots should be the minimum delay with
moving objects of average speed. Slow moving objects need more delay.

You see - there almost always exist several options. :cool:

Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:36 am

Yes, thank you..

Destiny...

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:49 am

Destiny wrote:I put my stacked images into APG from my new shooting pattern. APG is sooooo in tensely resource hungry.. My new iMac really struggled. Took a long time. I will never ever ever agree that stacking the entire pano sets and expecting software to support hardware and process images in this manner is an acceptable way of doing things..

Destiny - this definitely are neither a new findings nor surprising findings . . SOME people are stating this for YEARS
already . . . . :rolleyes: :cool:

We have a saying here: "Eulen nach Athen tragen" - the English say "Carrying coals to Newcastle" ;-) .

Destiny wrote:Surprisingly enough, the final rendered pano looks quite nice.. but Photomatix processed still looks heaps better and is a heap quicker..

This also was being stated for years now. But there´s at least one user who nevertheless constantly stated that Photomatix´s images provide nothing but issues with stitching in APG . . ;)

I mean this thread deserves to find it´s rest after coming such a long way.

Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:05 pm

I will put it to rest as soon as I test the XML. After all, that was my original issue.. I just hate the fact that APG has so many known issues with bracketed shots, yet they have gone unaddressed for years.. There is no doubt that the current version of APG is the best its ever been but... I main BUT!!!.. Why are there just so many issues relating to bracketed images..???

This Post has been a bit higgledy-piggledy but I got a lot out of it.. After all, I managed to achieve a perfect result using my 14-24mm at 14mm focal. So I am very happy.. I still need to test out Aaron's shooting pattern which I will do over the weekend.. I leant that the NPP is important but so is the shooting pattern..

Destiny...

aaronpriest

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by aaronpriest » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:13 pm

For really tricky deghosting you might have to use manual selections with Lightroom and Photomatix.

aaronpriest

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by aaronpriest » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:16 pm

Just noticed I missed a page of more comments and Klaus already mentioned that. Late to the party! ;-)

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

Re: BUG!... ??  [SOLVED]

by Destiny » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:17 am

FINAL CONCLUSOIN..: :cool:

My final conclusion has a happy ending.. =D

Using Hard Links without XML with APG V4 does not work using a 14-24mm lens at 14mm Focal, it just makes a mess of the iamges... Not tried 24mm Focal yet..

Adding the stacked images into APG, setting Fusion NO Hard Links and NO XML, RMS suggest "Excellent" @ 2.66.. But the final render has more stitching errors than I can count.. terrible in fact.. But... the Fusion Rendered results are really quite nice at default settings. Far too hard to play about with the APG Fusion settings. Far to Hit and Miss.. The entire process needs a rethink.. Trying to process the entire pano with stacks is ridiculous.. Even using my new iMac its far too slow..

Now for the good news.. My new stitching patten has achieved a great, its made all the difference .. PERFECT stitching result in fact with APG, in both pano test, using the XML Roundshot Wizard. The final renders are very nice but.. Photomatix is still better for window areas where there is a scene.. I guess I could achieve the same results with APG but.. with no presets makes it a Hit and Miss method of editing the Fusion, sometimes I wonder what setting controls I am suppose to use.. And even if I got the desired results, there is no way to save that preset for the next pano..

Strangely enough, the RMS are higher at 3.54, suggesting "Very Good".. Yet the final render is 'Excellent', perfect in fact. No errors at all.. I really do not understand the RMS since to me it has no meaning at all. I have stated that in a separate post and I stick with that statement..

So.. My conclusion is.. APG CAN use XML as along as the Shooting Pattern is correct.. The Shooting Pattern is as important as the NPP settings.. So my topic title, BUG! Question Question, is not true.. There is no bug with APG. But there are still issues which I have just made comment on..

So, I am now happy I can use APG with my images.. I look forward to the day where the entire Fusion/HDR method is user friendly and not so hardware dependent.

Thank you to all those who participated here and provided positive support on this Post. I could not have done it without you. I still need to try out Aaron's suggested shooting pattern but I will probably stick with the one I have now for future pano photography.. I am really happy I finally managed to achieve a great result using my beautiful 14-24mm lens. My VR Drive is the most awesome motorised pano head, which makes capturing HDR/Fusion panos really easy.. I just love it.!!

Here are my two final Rendered panos from APG V4 using Roundshot XML wizard with Hard Links ticked..

Destiny...

The End..... =D
Attachments
FrontDeskWithXMLOPP.jpg
BackPanoWithXMLOPP.jpg

Previous