BUG!... ??   [SOLVED] - View the solution

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: BUG!... ??

by mediavets » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:29 am

Destiny wrote:... and here too, with half an EV lower from RAW, stitched this time using PTGui.. Perfect.. Beautiful..! My new shooting pattern has made all the difference.. =D
Destiny..

Can you remind me what your new shooting pattern is for 14-24 at 14?

And what pattern do you use at 24?

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 227 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:38 am

Its on the previous page..." I settled with a shooting pattern of + 40 Degrees X 6 and -30 Degrees X6.."

I have yet to try Aaron's suggestion of... +/-39° x 6, but I will try. APG still has some small issues at my shooting pattern above.. So perhaps Aaron's option will fix it completely...

Some have said to me that the 14-24mm is not the move appropriate lens for Spheres.. But this proves it can be.. I have yet to try 24mm focal.. but I am sure it will be fine.. I will test that over this coming week...

Destiny...

klausesser

Liked in: 63 posts
Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Destiny wrote:Hi I shot some new Pans of my local Antique Centre using my brand new shooting patter and new Tripod..

The stitching quality using PGTui as far as i can see is perfect.. So is the blending..

The stitching using APG has a couple of very small issues towards the Zenith.. Thats all I think but I will have to look closely later. The big issue now is, the blending. Just horrible.!!. Its all patchy. I will have to check the settings.. When opened APG his morning it prompted me to download the latest version. I think something has gone wrong with this new build.. :rolleyes: =(

Destiny - just for clearing things: did you shoot with your manual head or did you use theVR2 for that?

Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:14 pm

Destiny wrote:
The VR Drive also generates XML code but this code is the settings for the VR Drive that users add to save the settings put in....

I´m afraid to not understand what that means in particular . . .

You need to "add code for saving settings you put in"???

Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:37 pm

Destiny wrote:When I purchased LightRoom I bought V3, a week later V4 came out.

Well - first hand you should purchase from another dealer . . . Not teling you that a new version will come in a weeks time is a no-go.
Btw.: OF COURSE you can gat a free update for a software you bought hist a week before an updated version comes out . . (guess that´s comon behavior even in Australia ;) )

Destiny wrote:Many Adobe products have inherent bugs.. I have told them about the bugs but I never receive a response.

I can understand their reaction, Destiny. 99% of all "BUG"-alerts in the end reveal as user-errors - as we learned several times . .

Destiny wrote:Adobe needs to begin to listen to its customers to provide basic function like Batch HDR and to fix bugs that have been apparent for years.. I have tried to use a Macro and create a Droplet to process HDR but that does not work.. Adobe have sent .. wasted a heap of time with 3D options in Photoshop that simply are issue related rather than fix old bugs which are more important...

Besides i cannot agree relating to "bugs that have been apparent for years" (which bugs at all, btw?):
Please do not forget that LR first hand is an app for organizing images. They add very much and very usefull tools over the years - which btw. i use with each and every big Job i do, because they´re simple, reliable and fast . . . and they work very fine by providing the vital things regarding panorama-series: processing RAWs, edit tone-ranges and correct CAs as well as sharpeing.

Rather demanding Jobs with single shots instead of panorama-series i still prefer to do in C1.

Regarding batch-processing: Adobe has Photoshop for that, you know . . ;) :cool: - would be
really dumb providing ALL vital features from Photoshop also in LR . . for a fraction of the price.

Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:53 pm

Destiny wrote:Some have said to me that the 14-24mm is not the move appropriate lens for Spheres..

I believe it was just me, Destiny. I didn´t read it from somebody else.

Destiny wrote:But this proves it can be..

Yes it CAN be. But i experienced over two years shooting architectural panoramas with the lens it wasn´t an optimal choice because of very uneven distortions at 14mm which can´t get compensated good enough for critical architectural panoramas.
I also know it´s very different with landscapes - for that it´s a phantastic lens (if you can manage to avoid strong direct lights falling onto the front-lens :cool: )

Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:56 pm

Destiny wrote:Its on the previous page..." I settled with a shooting pattern of + 40 Degrees X 6 and -30 Degrees X6..

Again: are you talking of your manual head or the VR2?

Klaus

aaronpriest

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by aaronpriest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Hehe, lots of comments to reply to. I'll attempt it with a single long comment. ;-)

At 24mm, shooting on a manual head, I use 3 rows of 12 photos, turning every 30° horizontally, and +55°, 0°, -55° for vertical. This has a lot of horizontal overlap at 43% for deghosting / moving objects, and 25% vertical overlap. It's also easy to use PTGui's "align to grid" feature.

A more complicated pattern at 24mm requiring less photos for robotic heads or using a template with PTGui or APG is a 3 rows of 8 photos every 45° vertically at +50°, 0°, and -55°vertically, plus a dedicated zenith and nadir shot, for a total of 26 photos.

Nikon's 14-24mm f/2.8 is a beautiful lens for both spheres and architecture shooting. I've seen it used for many architectural shots. The very little distortion it has at 14-16mm is easily corrected with a lens profile. Of course, most serious architecture is shot with a tilt shift lens or medium format anyway. It also has very good nano-crystal lens coating for reducing glare and shooting into strong light sources. I have very little trouble with this, considering how wide an angle it is. Any wide angle makes this more challenging of course, but this lens is less prone to flaring than most others in it's focal range.

Photoshop has batching power, yes, but even Photoshop's Merge to HDR cannot be easily batched or scripted. Adobe really needs to add this to Lightroom as the whole point of Lightroom is to have a workflow that allows managing many images at the same time. Now that Lightroom has a panorama feature that saves as .DNG, and an HDR feature that also saves as .DNG, it only makes sense to make it easier to use them together.

Regarding Photoshop blending, I'm referring to moving clouds and water more than anything else, things that cannot be simply cloned out from an adjacent frame. I have a lot of trouble with even-looking sky and water from APG and PTGui. I tried clicking on your link, but I got a 404 Not Found.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:04 pm

aaronpriest wrote:Hehe, lots of comments to reply to. I'll attempt it with a single long comment. ;-)

At 24mm, shooting on a manual head, I use 3 rows of 12 photos, turning every 30° horizontally, and +55°, 0°, -55° for vertical. This has a lot of horizontal overlap at 43% for deghosting / moving objects, and 25% vertical overlap. It's also easy to use PTGui's "align to grid" feature.

A more complicated pattern at 24mm requiring less photos for robotic heads or using a template with PTGui or APG is a 3 rows of 8 photos every 45° vertically at +50°, 0°, and -55°vertically, plus a dedicated zenith and nadir shot, for a total of 26 photos.

Nikon's 14-24mm f/2.8 is a beautiful lens for both spheres and architecture shooting. I've seen it used for many architectural shots. The very little distortion it has at 14-16mm is easily corrected with a lens profile. Of course, most serious architecture is shot with a tilt shift lens or medium format anyway. It also has very good nano-crystal lens coating for reducing glare and shooting into strong light sources. I have very little trouble with this, considering how wide an angle it is. Any wide angle makes this more challenging of course, but this lens is less prone to flaring than most others in it's focal range.

Photoshop has batching power, yes, but even Photoshop's Merge to HDR cannot be easily batched or scripted. Adobe really needs to add this to Lightroom as the whole point of Lightroom is to have a workflow that allows managing many images at the same time. Now that Lightroom has a panorama feature that saves as .DNG, and an HDR feature that also saves as .DNG, it only makes sense to make it easier to use them together.

Regarding Photoshop blending, I'm referring to moving clouds and water more than anything else, things that cannot be simply cloned out from an adjacent frame. I have a lot of trouble with even-looking sky and water from APG and PTGui. I tried clicking on your link, but I got a 404 Not Found.

Was an error - sorry - try again: http://www.klausesser.de/AdanzeNachtPan

The church i shot at 20:15, the rest around 23:00.

best, Klaus

P.S.: the shot is about the painting - zoom in on it!

aaronpriest likes this post.

aaronpriest

Info

by aaronpriest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:37 pm

Yup, that worked! That's a prime example of the banding and uneven sky I'm referring to. The rest of the pano is great though!

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:55 pm

aaronpriest wrote:Yup, that worked! That's a prime example of the banding and uneven sky I'm referring to. The rest of the pano is great though!

Who cares much for the sky-blending @ 90° up? The theme was the artwork.

Lots of moving cars and crowds. Masking them out worked very well in APG.
Try that in Photoshop . . =D :cool:

I used APG 3.7 - 4.0 provides "anti vignetting" . . . should work better!

Klaus

aaronpriest

Info

by aaronpriest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Well, I'm not going to get into a debate, LOL! I'm simply stating that for MY work, the sky is very much a major part of the image, being mostly nature / scenic, and everything but Photoshop's blending fails miserably at it. I've used every version of APG from 1.x to 4.2 RC3. PTGui is not much better in this regard either, in fact 9.x was better than 10.x, though certainly not as fast.

I mask things in and out of Photoshop very easily, PTGui's masking is the easiest of all of them. APG isn't masking so much as choosing certain elements to include or not, you really have no control over the mask itself, though I find it does a remarkable job with it most of the time. I often blend with all three programs and manually mask the best parts of each in Photoshop later.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:52 pm

aaronpriest wrote:. . for MY work, the sky is very much a major part of the image,. . .

Yes - definitely . . =D And it´s nothing but beautiful and most impressing!! Whis we had such kind of skies over here . .

Well - sky-blending is a long and usually unpleasant story in APG . .

But i tried APG 4.0 and it´s "vignetting" feature in the ColorCorrection. Makes things a lot better - all in all i mean blending generally improved in 4.0. . . :cool:

Usually blending the sky in PTGui Pro seemed the cleanest!

best, Klaus

aaronpriest

Info

by aaronpriest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:45 pm

I really like APG's color correction, it's very good.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:53 pm

The recent update I did over the weekend, suggests it even better....

Destiny...

aaronpriest wrote:I really like APG's color correction, it's very good.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:55 pm

Klaus, I always use my VR Drive for spheres.. I have not used my NN4 for a very long time fro spheres...

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:
Destiny - just for clearing things: did you shoot with your manual head or did you use theVR2 for that?

Klaus

aaronpriest

Info

by aaronpriest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:11 pm

I just finished this one today:
http://www.aaronpriestphoto.com/panoram ... agleLodge/

Shot with a Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, Panoneed, Promote Control, and Really Right Stuff TVC-34L tripod w/ leveling base @ 14mm, f/11, ISO 64, and 1/5 to 1/50 shutter speeds; 2 rows of 7 columns plus 1 dedicated zenith shot, times 3 brackets of 1.7 EV stops, for a total of 45 photos. HDR blending to 16-bit DNGs was done with Lightroom, stitching of 16-bit TIFFs with PTGui Pro, and final blending with Photoshop. The finished panorama is 169 megapixels and measures 61” x 30”.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:22 am

Hi Aaron... I will look at your work when I get home... Since this Topic is about APG and its use of Hard Links how does APG cope with your images... Also, can you plwase test to see if your XML code works with the Pappy Wizard plugin... Is it better, same or worse???

Your shooting pattern is way different to mine... I will try the 24mm focal soon with the same shooting pattern as I did before, that will double my images to 24 x 5 for brackeded shots.. I have set my D800 to capture the smallest image, but as you know, that is still quite big..

Destiny..

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:25 am

Nice.. To be honest, I would never had thought that a Zenith image would stitch correctly.... But you have proof it does..

Destiny...

aaronpriest wrote:I just finished this one today:
http://www.aaronpriestphoto.com/panoram ... agleLodge/

Shot with a Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, Panoneed, Promote Control, and Really Right Stuff TVC-34L tripod w/ leveling base @ 14mm, f/11, ISO 64, and 1/5 to 1/50 shutter speeds; 2 rows of 7 columns plus 1 dedicated zenith shot, times 3 brackets of 1.7 EV stops, for a total of 45 photos. HDR blending to 16-bit DNGs was done with Lightroom, stitching of 16-bit TIFFs with PTGui Pro, and final blending with Photoshop. The finished panorama is 169 megapixels and measures 61” x 30”.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:28 am

I can see your point about the main feature not being the sky but to be honest, I hate seeing banding in the sky, no matter if its the main feature or not. But there again, who cares about the zenith which is a statement I have made with those One Shot VR cameras when they focus more on providing a huge Nadir.. The Nadir is much more important but not it seems with those one shot cameras.. I would rather patch the sky but.. I would still not like to see banding..

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:Who cares much for the sky-blending @ 90° up? The theme was the artwork.

Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:42 am

Well, bit off topic... If you use Recorded Macros.. Try this.. Record anything.. Try to recored changing the size of your images.. Then press the play to apply it to say 30 images in the folder.. Now at the end of Playing the Recorded Macro, count the final number of images.. Just one very long term bug, you will find there are only 29 images.. John has chatted to a guy on Linked, a senior engineer from Adobe, who confirmed the bug.. I have not updated from CS6 so I do not know if it was fixed.. There are others..

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:Besides i cannot agree relating to "bugs that have been apparent for years" (which bugs at all, btw?):

Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Destiny wrote:Well, bit off topic... If you use Recorded Macros.. Try this.. Record anything.. Try to recored changing the size of your images.. Then press the play to apply it to say 30 images in the folder.. Now at the end of Playing the Recorded Macro, count the final number of images.. Just one very long term bug, you will find there are only 29 images..

No - i found 30 images just as expected . . checked it just minutes ago. CS6.

Destiny wrote:John has chatted to a guy on Linked, a senior engineer from Adobe, who confirmed the bug..

Mmmhh . . .

Klaus

aaronpriest

Info

by aaronpriest » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:21 pm

I have used macros in Photoshop for thousands of images for many of my stacked star trails, etc. It never skips an image. This one in particular was 86,400 images that required recording a macro and batching it out.

Regarding APG, PapyWizard XML, and hard links with HDR brackets, I've yet to get a good HDR image out of APG without severe ghosting. Maybe someone could give me some tips there. Maybe it's the type of outdoor nature subjects I shoot with leaves, etc. and it just can't handle it. I don't seem to have any trouble with the Panoneed's XML file in particular, whether I use one bracket or multiple brackets (it creates XML files for both in case you want to do your HDR tonemapping in another program before stitching, which is my typical workflow). But I can't find a rendering option that looks acceptable for HDR brackets. I've tried about every combination of anti-ghost, exposure fusion, HDR ghosts, etc. They all look horrible. PTGui isn't much better with moving objects honestly. Lightroom and Photomatix are the only two that can handle something like that in my opinion.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Well, we tried a few times on a computer at school just last week...it always leaves one image out... Resizing kids photos... Didn't matter what macro we record, it always missed one image. But if I turned the macro into a droplet, it works fine...

Destiny...

klausesser wrote:
Destiny wrote:Well, bit off topic... If you use Recorded Macros.. Try this.. Record anything.. Try to recored changing the size of your images.. Then press the play to apply it to say 30 images in the folder.. Now at the end of Playing the Recorded Macro, count the final number of images.. Just one very long term bug, you will find there are only 29 images..

No - i found 30 images just as expected . . checked it just minutes ago. CS6.

Destiny wrote:John has chatted to a guy on Linked, a senior engineer from Adobe, who confirmed the bug..

Mmmhh . . .

Klaus

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:09 am

Back to the Topic of this Post. Using Hard Links, setting different Reference Images, this is what I get.. Therefore, its impossible to use Hard Links with my 14-24mm lens at 14mm focal as I have achieved with my 10.5mm fisheye....

I would say that as with my Title Post here, this is a bug.. or at least Buggy.. Now I will try to use the XML. Not that I will use the APG HDR/LDR options since its not that great, but.. I have some still images with a guy walking into the frame so he is now a Ghost.. How can I remove him without using APG... I use the Anti Ghost in Photomatix but he is there still ...

Destiny..
Attachments
HardLinksRefernceImages.jpg

PreviousNext