Detecting process bug  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

Re: Detecting process bug

by HansKeesom » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Carine wrote:Hanskeesom, I will wait for your explanation on how to fix our stitching problems, hopefully you can help!

Hi Carine,

I am honoured by your request to explain your stitching problems. Most has already been said here, so I will skip that. My results are rather the same as Mediavets, so no point in repeating that.

I have used some panorama apps on the iPhone and so might have you. They all are very precise about the exact direction the camera needs to be before you shoot a single photo. There needs to be enough overlap.

It is unfortunate that these programms never give us the individuall photos because then it would be much easier to stich them.

I guess you want to continue using the Iphone. You then need something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-wBLgNuUQ or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-wBLgNuUQ

the gymbal allows you to vertically adjust the angle so you will create panoramas with a larger vertical angle.

You already make photos with the iPhone, but I think you should look for an app that allows for total manuall controll so each photo is made with the same paramaters like shutter time, ISO, aperture etc.
Also you might want the option to make brackets, multiple photos of the same direction but with a diiferent shuttertime, later to be fused into one photo that is part of the panoram

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:31 pm

no avatar
Carine

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Carine » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:09 am

I give it another try

Mediavets, please explain how exactly you fixed the stitching problems on the bedroom (slaapkamer) - step by step like open edit tab, hit .... etc?

What distance is needed between camera and objects so that featureless images and very variable exposure and parallax issues are avoided? 1m, 1,5m, 2m...?

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:20 am

Avoiding featureless images can only be avoided by placing with details into the photos.
Avoiding variable exposure can only be done by using an app that allows settings to be set to a fixed value. Seems this app does so https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/manual- ... 46276?mt=8

Regarding the distance, the more the better. So inside, try to find a spot where you are as far as possible from all objects or at least even close to the closest objects.

Parallax can be avoided by using something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-wBLgNuUQ

no avatar
Carine

Topic author
Info

by Carine » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:40 am

Hanskeesom, Thanks a bunch for your reply, I am not there yet i am afraid

The panoramic head is a good idea, we want our clients to make quality sphericals without having to ship accessories though so i am afraid this won't work for us. Is there an App available that allows total manuall controll so each photo is made with the same paramaters (same height, same distance to abjects) and panoramas with a larger vertical angle can be created (include top and bottom of a spherical pano)? I am not getting how shutter time, ISO or aperture can help here.

We are still searching for a way to avoid that images taken with a mobile device cannot be stitched. Can you help us out here?

Also you might want to explain the option to make brackets, multiple photos of the same direction but with a diiferent shuttertime, later to be fused into one photo that is part of the panorama

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:47 am

Carine wrote:The panoramic head is a good idea, we want our clients to make quality sphericals without having to ship accessories though so i am afraid this won't work for us.

Please accept that it is just not possible to create quality spherical panoramas shooting handheld using a smartphone camera.

no avatar
Carine

Topic author
Info

by Carine » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:05 am

Hanskeesom,

"Avoiding featureless images can only be avoided by placing with details into the photos."
So can featureless images be avoided by putting for example a post-it on empty walls?
How can you delete the post-it from the image afterwards? I am using panotour 2.2 (not the pro version). Can you clarify step-by-step?

"Avoiding variable exposure can only be done by using an app that allows settings to be set to a fixed value."
So if the same shutter, white balance and focus are set for every taken picture variable distances from the mobile device to the object will be avoided? The manual App has received bad reviews though and it only works on IOS. Isn't there another great App that also works on Android to set the exposure?

"Parallax"
Is there an App available that allows total manuall controll so each photo is made with the same paramaters (same height, same distance to abjects) and panoramas with a larger vertical angle can be created (include top and bottom of a spherical pano)?

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Carine,

First of all by being honest to you. If you want good quality panoramas in every situation (so also indoors with limited light) without to many stitching errors, blur problems or exposure problems, using nothing but a iphone/smartphone, you are asking for the impossible.

But with that in the back of your mind you can find some apps. These apps will guide the user through the whole process of making the whole panorama and will also stitch them. So no need to have autopano ;-) The quality of the panorama will depend on the discipline of the user. see http://iphonephotographyschool.com/panorama-photos. You can also think of the spheres app of google.

All these apps are rather automatic when it comes to exposure etc.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 pm

Carine wrote:Hanskeesom,

"Avoiding featureless images can only be avoided by placing with details into the photos."
So can featureless images be avoided by putting for example a post-it on empty walls?
How can you delete the post-it from the image afterwards? I am using panotour 2.2 (not the pro version). Can you clarify step-by-step?

Best way to aviod featureless image is to use a wide-angel lens. Even for iphone you can buy these for 10 euro/dollar

Carine wrote:"Avoiding variable exposure can only be done by using an app that allows settings to be set to a fixed value."
So if the same shutter, white balance and focus are set for every taken picture variable distances from the mobile device to the object will be avoided?

We need to find an app that does that......haven't found it. I think however that focus distance is fixed with iPhone.
Carine wrote:"Parallax"
Is there an App available that allows total manuall controll so each photo is made with the same paramaters (same height, same distance to abjects) and panoramas with a larger vertical angle can be created (include top and bottom of a spherical pano)?

Good question, have not found it yet.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:11 pm

I assume you have looked at Google's own Smartphone App for spherical panos (Android 4.2)

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/4623343664/hand-on-with-the-android-photosphere-camera

no avatar
Carine

Topic author
Info

by Carine » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:23 pm

Hanskeesom, would you mind helping me find those apps?

no avatar
Carine

Topic author
Info

by Carine » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:29 pm

Marzipano, we are looking for a valuable solution, photo sphere does not process the kind of quality spherical panos we are searching for

no avatar
HansKeesom

Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:47 pm

Carine, if you really want better quality then google spheres, I doubt if you will find it for a smartphone. You will have to move to dslr. For a thousand euro one can create a complete package for anyone to be able to use.

But if you really want smartphone apps, look here for three http://iphone.appstorm.net/general/opin ... -compared/

There is no point for me to do more research in this because I know it does not work good enough or at least not better then google spheres.

I will give this one a test, but do believe it really needs a panohead to make it really work for panoramas. http://www.cameraawesome.com/

no avatar
Panoram1x

Liked in: 41 posts
Info

by Panoram1x » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Carline, with a bit of manual control points placement, a little of pitch, yaw and roll (also manually) and a fairly Photoshop (Layer Masks)...
...this is all I've achieved without spending more time than is reasonable.
Attachments
Slaapkamer1.jpg
Living1.jpg

Previous