APG 3.7 Win 7 memory usage  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
gdavidson

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

APG 3.7 Win 7 memory usage

by gdavidson » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:54 am

Whilst rendering little planet projections, I've noticed that APG 3.7 consumes (understandably) a lot of memory during rendering but after the render is complete, the memory is not released until APG is completely closed. it makes looking at the final render in Photoshop rather a problem as all my memory (48GB) is in use, mainly by APG.

After the render is complete, is there any reason APG should not release the memory used during the render?

--
Graeme

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Liked in: 134 posts
Info

Re: APG 3.7 Win 7 memory usage

by olivierbo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Hello Graeme,

Have you had a look at our page on memory management? http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... management

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
gdavidson

Topic author
Info

by gdavidson » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:08 pm

Thank you for your reply Olivier. I had read the memory management article but my only workaround was to set APG not to use more than about 30GB.

According to the article, Cache 1 is used to store images in RAM to save time if the same images are used for another render in the current work session. Cache 1 can never be bigger than 2GB.
Cache 2 is used during the actual rendering process so that antighost etc can be performed and this can consume the rest of the RAM that APG is configured to use and can be very large.

I can understand that after a project is rendered , Cache 1 memory is not released but I'm not sure why Cache 2 is not released after the project has rendered.

If another project (different set of images) is loaded into APG after rendering the 1st project (without closing APG), does the Cache 2 memory from the 1st project get used by the second project? The reason I ask is that I have had performance/disk thrashing problems when I have two or more projects loaded in APG in the past.

Thanks again.

Graeme

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Hello Greame,

Second cache is released as soon as the 1st rendering is over (memory is flagged as unused), so the 2nd project can consume all available RAM.
That said, if you work on huge projects, APG may use a pagefile, which is the HDD!

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
gdavidson

Topic author
Info

by gdavidson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Thank you Olivier,

That's how I thought it should work too but on my system, after rendering a little planet consisting of 22 tiffs from a D810, APG uses all memory available to it and does not release it until APG is completely closed. (According to task manager).

Is this the way APG is meant to work or is it an issue with my particular system?

Thanks again for your replies.

Graeme

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:12 pm

@Graeme: in above posted Memory link you can find the line

"If free memory is larger than 6Gb, Autopano will reserve all but 2Gb."

this is what you do describe. All but 2 GB should be reserved by APG; in windows tools the Memory is shown as used. On other postings kolor stated that this Memory is allocated but internally freed (for further usage by apg not by other application) if no longer used. the Memory is available for new renders/Projects etc but it remains as used by apg in Task mananger etc.

see also my screenshots in posting&thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23834#p149557
here 88GB Memory "are kept"... if I Close the Project the Memory remains displayed as used but I've no Problem to start/open new Projects and render my next pano.

Kolor does say ist a Feature. I rather tend to see it as bug even if I know by Definition its not...
... it would be clearer for humans if apg would release the Memory and later if new one is needed again to Claim the Memory again.... and yes I would accept the 1 or two hundrets of ms this would take. ;-)
Georg

no avatar
leifs

Info

by leifs » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:17 pm

I have just finished rendering two panos, closed the rendering window and was going to edit them i PS. Then I had a look at the resource monitor, and guess what ! APG is still holding 107 GB of my RAM !!
To release this memory I have to exit APG. In my opinion APG should have released most of the RAM when the rendering was finished.

leifs
Attachments
memory.jpg

no avatar
gdavidson

Topic author
Info

by gdavidson » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:18 am

Thank you Georg and leifs,

Glad to know it's not just me that is seeing this behaviour!

--
Graeme

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:12 am

Dear all,

As you said, this is a conscious choice, a feature, and not a bug.

I wish you a nice and successful day.

Kind regards,
Olivier

no avatar
leifs

Info

by leifs » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:33 am

If this is a feature then I have a feature request:

a way to release most of the used RAM without exiting APG

leifs

olivierbo
Kolor Team

Info

by olivierbo » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:46 am

Dear all,

I want to point out that we have added in our FAQ a clarification about memory management: http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... _memory.3F

That point was discussed with the developers, and we will talk about it again if necessary.

Kind regards,
Olivier