APG 3.6.2-generated JPG pano's do not import in Lightroom 4  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
benzht

APG 3.6.2-generated JPG pano's do not import in Lightroom 4

by benzht » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:19 am

I am using APG 3.6.2 on OS X 10.9.4 with LR 4.4.

Since the last update of APG, I keep getting panoramas that LR is simply not importing (Synchronize Folder).
It shows the JPGs in the 'what to import' view all right, but when asked to actually do it, either the import finishes more or less immediately showing 'Nothing imported', or LR stays with 'Importing ....' forever.
In other applications, the pano shows up OK.

Size does not seem to be an issue (I have rendered as small as possible). For illustration, I attach one pano that does not import.

Any suggestions?
/Hartmut
Attachments
20140718-Rapallo-01_p.jpg
Example pano not importable in LR4.4

Lionel Laissus
Kolor Team

Re: APG 3.6.2-generated JPG pano's do not import in Lightroo

by Lionel Laissus » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Right now I have no idea about your problem..
Is your MAC up-to-date ? Is everything works as it supposed to work but LR with panorama from APG?
Could you tried on another computer ? THX

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:15 am

Are the JPSs created using a Mac.. Then opened in Windows Lightroom.. If so.. Mac generates heaps of hidden files.. More so with Mavericks.. Not sure why... There might be an issue with hidden data... If you are using Window and the JPGs have been generated using a Mac, set to view hidden files in Windows and remove all... Then try again..

Destiny..

no avatar
benzht

by benzht » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Lionel Laissus wrote:Right now I have no idea about your problem..
Is your MAC up-to-date ? Is everything works as it supposed to work but LR with panorama from APG?
Could you tried on another computer ? THX

Hi Lionel,

thanks for the suggestion. My MAC is up-to-date with all Apple updates and the latest APG; Just Lightroom itself is from the last generation. All files have been handled exclusively on the MAC - Windows is not involved at any moment. So far, I do not have another MAC with LR/APG available to test.
What I did test is: open the generated JPG in Preview, export it again as JPG, and sync folder in LR - the exported JPG is imported, the original from APP not.

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Suggestion : generate psb or other format, does that import?

no avatar
benzht

by benzht » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:46 pm

@HansKeesom: No, it does not import that, either....

BUT: I am an important step forward. First I discovered, that stitching from (Lightroom-generated) TIFFs works almost all of the time that generating from DNG does not - but not always.

But the main problem seems to be Lightroom, which has at least one known bug that causes a hang during import (https://forums.adobe.com/message/6642501; solved in LR5 but perhaps not in LR4). Starting from that, I started playing with exiftool removing metadata. So far, I could determine that the culprit is in the XMP data. When I remove 'just' all XMP data:
Code: Select all
exiftool −overwrite_original -xmp= pano.jpg

then the image imports correctly.
So far I have not been able to find out how to remove individual XMP entries to determine, which specific one causes the problem.

My guess is, that APG some time ago has changed something minor in how the XMP is copied from one/several of the source images to the stitched image, and that now is tripping the bug in LR4.

no avatar
benzht

by benzht » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:07 pm

The problematic entry is Hierarchical Subject.

For reasons I do not yet understand, APG 'translates' certain keywords/keyword structures to 'empty', and LR4 cannot deal with this. My current working guess is that LR 'sometimes' puts Hierarchical Subject (=keywords) into the image in the form Child | Parent | Grandparent and APG converts that wrongly somehow.
All my non-importable panos (that I have checked so far) show more or less this in exiftool -q -H -G -U -a pano.jpg |grep XMP
[XMP]                - Subject                         : , , , , ,
[XMP]                - Hierarchical Subject            : , ,

If I delete just the Hierarchical Subject entry using this command:
exiftool   -XMP:HierarchicalSubject= file.jpg -o fileNew.jpg

the newPano.jpg imports into LR4 without any problem.

I am not sure, when I will find the time to analyse which keyword input produces the problematic subject.
Maybe someone from APP can have a look at the hierarchical-keyword generation if there is an exception case causing what looks to me like a list of empty elements.

Greetings and thank you to everyone for the time and suggestions

no avatar
benzht

Re: APG 3.7.0-generated JPG pano's do not import in Lightroo

by benzht » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:21 am

Just tried some pano's with the 3.7.0 version and, very disappointingly, it still produces the XMP-entries that prevent importing into LR4
[XMP]                - Subject                         : , , , , , , , ,
[XMP]                - Hierarchical Subject            : , , , ,

Strange enough, it does not seem to be directly related to the keywords assigned to the originals (DNGs), because I get both importing and not-importing panos from image sources with identical sets of LR-keywords

Return to Autopano bug & discussion