Impoer Wizard for Roundshot VRDrive2 do not detect fisheye lens type  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
turismosw

Impoer Wizard for Roundshot VRDrive2 do not detect fisheye lens type

by turismosw » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:37 pm

I am using Import Wizard with xml file generated by Roundshot VRDrive2 for a 5.6mm fisheye with Canon EOS 60D.

Import wizard is ignoring the <lens type="fisheye"> in xml and detection start as standard lens type.
I have to edit manually images to set lens type as fisheye to have a correct detection.

Please note that the fisheye lens is fully manual and exif data is not set to proper lenght but to 50mm. But also if I force the Import Wizard to use the xml focal lenght the fisheye setting is ignored.

Any solution?

Thanks
Marco

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:07 pm

turismosw wrote:I am using Import Wizard with xml file generated by Roundshot VRDrive2 for a 5.6mm fisheye with Canon EOS 60D.

Import wizard is ignoring the <lens type="fisheye"> in xml and detection start as standard lens type.
I have to edit manually images to set lens type as fisheye to have a correct detection.

Please note that the fisheye lens is fully manual and exif data is not set to proper lenght but to 50mm. But also if I force the Import Wizard to use the xml focal lenght the fisheye setting is ignored.

Any solution?

Thanks
Marco

Is this a Sunex fisheye?

What is your shooting pattern?

Is there any point or need to use an XML file with such a fisheye?

Is there any pioint in using a VRDrive2 robotic head with such a fisheye?
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
turismosw

by turismosw » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:24 pm

1) Yes is Sunex

2) pattern is 3 shots 0°, 120°, 240° single row

3) automation of the process

4) is what I have

Please, I would like to understand why "fisheye" parameter is not taken in account when using Import Wizard and if there is a solution

Regards
Marco

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:37 pm

turismosw wrote:1) Yes is Sunex

2) pattern is 3 shots 0°, 120°, 240° single row

3) automation of the process

Seems to me that using the XML just makes things more complex in this instance. I wouldn't bother.

The XML file recordng shooting position co-ordinates is of real benefit when you have 'featureless' images in the image set that would otherwise be omitted from the stitch. I doubt you'll ever have featureless images when shooting with a Sunex fishsye.

With just three around you should get a good stitch without the Import process. Try it and see..

You can force the focal length and lens type in the APG settings to overcome lack of EXIF data.

You can always change the Layout settings to single row or column to assist the stucher a little if you wish, it may make a little difference.

Or get a good stitch and then save that as a template and apply it on later image sets.

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
turismosw

by turismosw » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for suggestion, I agree with you about general consideration and I know setting you suggest.

The need to use Import Wizard is because the process has to be performed by non expert operator and I prefer do not modify the Autopano settings (these setting will be applied to any project if not previously modified by an expert operator).

I was assuming that using Import wizard could make the process easy and flexible for both fisheye and standard lens, that is my requirement.

I can use Import wizard without problems with 20mm lens and 57 shots sequence, and I would like to use the same procedure also with the Sunex fisheye.

Marco

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:55 pm

turismosw wrote:Thanks for suggestion, I agree with you about general consideration and I know setting you suggest.

The need to use Import Wizard is because the process has to be performed by non expert operator and I prefer do not modify the Autopano settings (these setting will be applied to any project if not previously modified by an expert operator).

I was assuming that using Import wizard could make the process easy and flexible for both fisheye and standard lens, that is my requirement.

I can use Import wizard without problems with 20mm lens and 57 shots sequence, and I would like to use the same procedure also with the Sunex fisheye.

Marco

So....it sounds as if you will need Kolor to modify the VRDrive2 Import Wizard .....good luck with that.....how long are you willing to wait before you decide that it might be quicker to train the operator?
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:02 pm

turismosw wrote:Please, I would like to understand why "fisheye" parameter is not taken in account when using Import Wizard and if there is a solution

Regards
Marco

Because it seems that the VRDrive 2 Import wizard doesn't read/use all the parameters in the XML file - also true of all the other robotic pano head Import wizards that use XML files as as far as I know.

Why not? Don't know, only Kolor can tell you. Perhaps it never occurred to them that anyone would use a Sunex fisheye on a VRDrive2?

I don't know of any documentation that states which parameters are used by APP/APG from the XML files created by various robotioc pao heads.

Is there a solution? Yes, if Kolor will modify the VRDrive2 Import Wizard.
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
turismosw

by turismosw » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:22 pm

It would be usefull to know if any other user of import wizard has never experienced the same issue of the fisheye parameter in xml file.

I will notify this issue as a bug to Kolor and, hopefully, they will do something to fix it in the next release or, at least, remove the lens type parameter from the xml file, if not supported.

I agree with you that, meanwhile, I need to find a short term workaround.

Thanks for support
Marco

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Well, the only workaround is what Andrew said....train your people to use the program....or use a screen macro recorder to flick the switches. But I have no idea how to do that....(at least not with freeware). As a tester I've used programs like that in order to test automated.

Greets, Ed.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:25 pm

turismosw wrote:I am using Import Wizard with xml file generated by Roundshot VRDrive2 for a 5.6mm fisheye with Canon EOS 60D.

Any solution?

Thanks
Marco

Hi!

Did you use the "crop circle" to set your kind of fisheye? It´s a quite unusual focal length.

So maybeyou need to set the parameters for THIS lens once and store it as preset/pattern.

The i guess it should run automated then. But contact Seitz nevertheless and ask whether this lens needs a dedicated head-preset. I don´t know much about the Seitz-setups - with Panoneed you´d need just to enter the focal-lenght/sensor-size and it calculates the rest.

Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Klaus, can't you read....the lenses are recognised by the VRDrive as being FishEye and that is stated in the actual .xml. Unfortunatly I can state in the .xml that lenses are "octogohedronal" if I which. The import wizard of Kolor APP/APG ignores this fact since it takes it's lens focal que not from the .xml but from exif information in the file. I have a SamYang FE and since it is a fully mechanical lens (no contact between camera and lens) the Olympus does not know what lens it is dealing with (or if it is dealing with a lens alltogether). So I can write in the .xml that I used a Fisheye but Kolor will still ask me wether or not I've used a FE and declare the lens as a standard lens when running the import wizard (now I use Papywizard import) but I suspect (or better read as in interpret written text with my eyes and brain into conceptual meaning) that the Zeits import wizard does the same. Is that a bug.....I don't know, it's certainly anoying (as in a minnor inconveiniance since I have to set the focal length to 7,5 and the lenstype to FE by hand although this is spelled out in the .xml). But there is reason to the mayhem....APP/APG checks focal length in the .xml against the focal lenght in the exif and if that is different it asks for user imput. If there is nada/zip/zilch in the exif it assumes a manual lens since there is nothing to check agains....the check failes and the user is at play (and since a manual lens is by no means an error, no error is displayed as well).

Greets, Ed.
Olympus OM-D with HLD-6, Fuji GX680, Samyang 7.5, Olympus 9-18, Sigma 19, Panasonic 14-45, Nikon 50 1.4 on Novoflex with tripod mount, Nikon 80-200, Panasonic 45-200, Fujinon 135, Fujinon 80, Fujinon 65, Fujinon 50, Gitzo Gilux Reporter 2, Sirui Ballhead and Panosaurus 2.0 NNP adapter, Motorized Panohead of Canadian (ironware)/Dutch (electronics and software) construction.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Artisan New wrote:Klaus, can't you read....the lenses are recognised by the VRDrive as being FishEye and that is stated in the actual .xml. Unfortunatly I can state in the .xml that lenses are "octogohedronal" if I which. The import wizard of Kolor APP/APG ignores this fact since it takes it's lens focal que not from the .xml but from exif information in the file.

(i didn´t read further from that point on)

well - yes Ed: i CAN read. Thank you :D But i also can understand what´s written.

That´s why i suggested to check the crop-tool to evaluate whether the lens is correctly interpreted. The same is with the VR-Drive´s pattern generated for that specific focal-length.
This is a somewhat exotic lens and focal-length, you know . . .

You can "state in the xml" what you like - it must be interpreted.

Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:12 am

klausesser wrote:This is a somewhat exotic lens and focal-length, you know . . .

But not unique - it appears that it would be any issue with any fisheye that is unable to 'contribute' to the EXIF - the Samyang and it's many clones would also be affected.

Klaus

And that's just what the OP is complaining about, and what Ed discussed above in some detail. The Import Wizards do not seem to read/interpret the lenstype value in the XML file.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:09 am

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:This is a somewhat exotic lens and focal-length, you know . . .

But not unique - it appears that it would be any issue with any fisheye that is unable to 'contribute' to the EXIF - the Samyang and it's many clones would also be affected.

Klaus

And that's just what the OP is complaining about, and what Ed discussed above in some detail. The Import Wizards do not seem to read/interpret the lenstype value in the XML file.

Andrew - i´m dealing with no-EXIFs all the time: NONE of my 8 Nikon-lenses provide EXIFs when i use them
on the Canon 5D2.

I also use some rather exotic lenses like two Hasselblad V lenses with a shift/tilt-adapter on the 5D2 - no EXIFs at all of course.

I tested an old and very big and very expensive 2,8/8mm Nikon fisheye - no Exifs no something:

I set my head to the focal-length (8mm) and the lens-model (fisheye) and i tell APG that i used an 8mm fisheye. I opened the lens-settings in APG and checked
the fisheye-circle settings.
Some fisheyes are more or less a bit off-centered - not really rare. That can be corrected in the fisheye-settings. Also a somewhat uncommon focal-length which there are no EXIFs about can be set by adjusting the circle´s diameter and it´s center.

You see: there IS a way - almost always. You just cannot always expect that it´s all automated . . . ;):cool:

Klaus

no avatar
Artisan New

by Artisan New » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:35 am

"I have to edit manually images to set lens type as fisheye to have a correct detection."

So what do we learn from this simple centence?

1) Our probably Russian freind has a correct detection so if he sets the parameters right he's satisfied with the result as is discibed by the words "correct detection".....

2) Our probably Russian freind has a problem since his lens (great deduction Andrew, nice product Sunex) though being made for panorama detection (and I think the lads and lasses at Sunex are smart enough to realise they have to test their claims with PTGui and APP/APG software), does no transmit EXIF data and is therefore not recognised as a FE lens.

3) Our probably Russian freind wants his people (who are no photographers of course) to use the product in a hassle free way (probably exploring the booming Moscow property market). Put camera on tripod shoot three or two pictures drop them into a directory, start APP, load the images, press the freindly green arrow and press the cogwheel and drop the panorama into an KRPANO droplet to publish (can be scripted by a monkey).

4) This may I say, brilliant scheme (think of what Einstein said about simplicity)....since real estate agents should be real estate agents and no computer engineers or photographers, is frauded by the way APP thinks about his 800 euro investment (without the camera of course).

5) The only way to get his scheme back on track is using Screen Automation Software. That could be used to:

A) Rename all the files in a certain directory to Klaus1.jpg, Klaus2.jpg and Klaus3.jpg
B) Start up Autopano
C) Load all the files in a directory (all being 3)
D) Start up the Image Properties tab
E) Enter the correct Focal Length in the Focal Length field
F) Enter the correct Lenstype in the Lenstype field
G) Press the OK button
H) Press the green Cogwheel
I) Rename the resulting [Group1]-_Klaus1__Klaus3-3images.jpg into something nice like "Vasily Kandinsky Boulevard 13 Kitchen" via a user input request....

Greets, Ed.

P.S. a nice overview of ATT's that can be used.....I've worked with Rationel and the HP software but these are far to expensive, you should check out the Open Source software and I'll bet a few Roebels and a visit to the local tech campus will get you what you want....BTW am I right that you are Russian (I think I can detect that in the way you use you English grammar, no offense i have Russian freinds that use sort of the same).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_automation

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:32 am

klausesser wrote:You see: there IS a way - almost always. You just cannot always expect that it´s all automated . . . ;):cool:

Klaus

Of course you can add the correct settings manually - but the OP would like not to have to do that using an unskilled operator, and hoped to be able to use the automation offered by the VRDrive2 and the APP/APG VRDrive2 Import wizard.

He can''t because the Sunex doesn't 'contribute' data to the EXIF and the Import wizard doesn't read the lenstype value from the XML.

Whether that's a viable approach is another matter.
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
turismosw

by turismosw » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:53 am

Thank to all for suggestions

I will try to use ExifTool to set the correct EXIF parameters in the images before to import in APG with import wizard.
I hope this will fix the issue.
I will post results of the test.

(by the way Artisan New I am not russian but italian, may be our grammars are the same or both me and your friends do not know english well enough?)

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:29 pm

turismosw wrote:Thank to all for suggestions

I will try to use ExifTool to set the correct EXIF parameters in the images before to import in APG with import wizard.
I hope this will fix the issue.
I will post results of the test.

(by the way Artisan New I am not russian but italian, may be our grammars are the same or both me and your friends do not know english well enough?)

Hi!

You do not need to edit the EXIFs at all. You just need to set a fix preference in APG: "force to use . . " (see my screenshot).

From this oint on APG will ONLY use the Parameters you type in here: focal length and lens model.

When you use the XML-import you need to tell the VR2 the same parameters of course. I guess it should be intelligent enough to calculate the proper values
and write them into the EXIFs.

All this values work then automatically.

Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:35 pm

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:You see: there IS a way - almost always. You just cannot always expect that it´s all automated . . . ;):cool:

Klaus

Of course you can add the correct settings manually - but the OP would like not to have to do that using an unskilled operator, and hoped to be able to use the automation offered by the VRDrive2 and the APP/APG VRDrive2 Import wizard.

He can''t because the Sunex doesn't 'contribute' data to the EXIF and the Import wizard doesn't read the lenstype value from the XML.

Andrew - as i answered already to the OT:

There´s no need at all to edit the EXIFs. Once you set the correct preferences in APG it will use these values for all shootings.
Until you set other values.

best, Klaus

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:36 pm

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:

Klaus

There´s no need at all to edit the EXIFs. Once you set the correct preferences in APG it will use these values for all shootings.

And he needs of course to set up the VR2 accordingly.

best, Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:31 pm

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:

Klaus

best, Klaus

I suggested that - http://www.kolor.com/forum/p120438-2013-08-16-15-37-22#p120438 - but he didn't want to do that.

And I'm not sure that those settings affect the Import Wizards, do they?
Last edited by mediavets on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:41 pm

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:Of course you can add the correct settings manually - but the OP would like not to have to do that using an unskilled operator, and hoped to be able to use the automation offered by the VRDrive2 and the APP/APG VRDrive2 Import wizard.

best, Klaus

I suggested that - http://www.kolor.com/forum/p120438-2013-08-16-15-37-22#p120438 - but he didn't want to do that.

And I'm not sure that those settings affect the Import Wizards, do they?

Pre-setting APG effects the optimizer. And you definitely need to optimize after the import.

The import tells APG where the images must be placed - HOW they´re placed is the task of the optimizer.

Sometimes it´s better to de-activate the optimizer in the import - this way thje images are placed strictly and only following the pattern which the head has shot.

The shots need to be optimized manually then. Either using the optimizer´s CP-finding or by manually generating connections between images.

I can only speak about my Panoneed-head: even the most exotic lenses, far from providing ANY kind of EXIFs like my Hasselblad V lenses (6x6), 150mm Sonnar, 50mm Distagon for example, work very well with the import after i tell the head the relative focal-length of 233mm for the 150mm Sonnar and the crop-factor of 1.55 and i tell APG the same values in the prefs.

No problem at all.

Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:03 pm

klausesser wrote:I can only speak about my Panoneed-head: even the most exotic lenses, far from providing ANY kind of EXIFs like my Hasselblad V lenses (6x6), 150mm Sonnar, 50mm Distagon for example, work very well with the import after i tell the head the relative focal-length of 233mm for the 150mm Sonnar and the crop-factor of 1.55 and i tell APG the same values in the prefs.

No problem at all.

Klaus

And do you have fisheye lenses that provide no data in the EXIF?

Does APP/APG then properly identify them as FE lenses using the Import Wizard? This was the OP's original complaint - that it doesn't.
Andrew Stephens

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:33 pm

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:I can only speak about my Panoneed-head: even the most exotic lenses, far from providing ANY kind of EXIFs like my Hasselblad V lenses (6x6), 150mm Sonnar, 50mm Distagon for example, work very well with the import after i tell the head the relative focal-length of 233mm for the 150mm Sonnar and the crop-factor of 1.55 and i tell APG the same values in the prefs.

No problem at all.

Klaus

And do you have fisheye lenses that provide no data in the EXIF?

As is told already: I used a 40 years old 2,8/8mm Nikon fisheye on my Canon 5D2 - coming from a time Exifs didn´t exist at all. I also used a 2,8/10,5mm Nikon fisheye on my Canon - providing no EXIFs because of the Novoflex adapter-ring.
I also used some other brands of lenses on my Canon providing no EXIFs. For example Schneider and Rodenstock large-format lenses in a Zà–RK T/S adapter and another Hasselblad lens in a KIPON T/S adapter on Canon 5D2.
mediavets wrote:Does APP/APG then properly identify them as FE lenses using the Import Wizard? This was the OP's original complaint - that it doesn't.

I couldn´t clearly identify what´s the OP´s original complaint was exactly about. The import-module doesn NEED to identify a lens being a fisheye - it needs to read from the XML where to place the images
according to the focal-length/sensorsize and whether they are in portrait- or in landscape-orientation.

The lens-model comes into play when the optimizer works.

So we have TWO items:
1) the head sets the shooting-location according to the informations about focal-length, sensorsize and lensmodel you tell it in the head´s settigs for the camera. From that it calculates the shooting-locations.
and writes them into the XML.
2) the importer imports the xml - here it definitely would be very much appreciated to learn about the way it does interprete the XML . . .

Nevertheless it works ok without ANY EXIFs if you tell APG in the prefs what it needs to know.

best, Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:01 pm

klausesser wrote:I couldn´t clearly identify what´s the OP´s original complaint was exactly about.

As I understood it, it was that he wanted to make the stitching/renedering process as automatic as possible because he was using unsklilled operators to do the work.

So he didn't want the operator to have to check and set/reset the APP/APG global settings to overcome the lack of lens EXIF data from his Samyang FE.

Instead he wanted the APP/APG Import wizard to read the lenstype value from the XML data file.

It seems to me that the latter is not an unreasonable request/expectation.

Although whether it's really credible to use totally untrained/unskilled operators to do the work is a different matter.

The import-module doesn NEED to identify a lens being a fisheye ............

Nevertheless it works ok without ANY EXIFs if you tell APG in the prefs what it needs to know.

best, Klaus

And that's just what he didn't want (his unskilled operators) to have to do.
Last edited by mediavets on Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens

Next

Return to Autopano bug & discussion