3.0.6 - new "GPU Texture Size"  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
gkaefer

3.0.6 - new "GPU Texture Size"

by gkaefer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:38 pm

source: http://www.kolor.com/forum/t18044-autopano-3.0.6

it is said:

GPU texture size

We added a new option in the general settings to be able to use a reduced texture size while editing a panorama. It betters the experience while using the GPU in the case it hasn't much RAM. Nowadays, cameras produce huge pictures and the GPUs don't always accept the full size because it requests a lot of GPU RAM. This option is here to help you work with GPU on smaller configurations.

so far so good. I only find "GPU quality" I can set to "full, medium, low".

so "low GPU quality" implies less pano quality. even if I can work on moe panos at the same time, I dont wanna loose quality...
Georg

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:45 pm

It says Texture quality under the header of GPU processing. So I find it acceptable to call that GPU texture size, even though it should be GPU texture quality.

Now what it does, I am not sure. The result is however that my GPU memory seems to stay under 2 GB while editing 6 panoramas where it used to be that it would go for the total of 4 GB while editing only 2 panoramas.
Now more crashes also so I am happy....but what it really does....... o well I don't care. The quality does not seem to influence the preview quality nor the render quality.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

ThomasV
Kolor Team

by ThomasV » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:08 am

Hello Georg and Hans,

Thanks for your feedback on this option.
This option only limits the resolution of the picture we store in the GPU for the realtime preview only, and so no impact in 'Quick preview' or 'Final rendering'. The only goal of this option is to reduce the amount of gpu memory used. It could make the editor more responsive.

@Hans:
Now more crashes also so I am happy...

Sorry Hans, but I do not understand. Do you find the software more stable by reducing texture quality or do you find it worse ?

Thanks,
Thomas

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:42 am

Yes it seems more stable and it seems to be caused by reducing the texture quality. In 3.0.5. GPU memory used would go up when opening more panoramas in editor and doing more previewing. Once it would hit 4 GB, the amount memory on the GPU-card, it would crash sooner (within seconds) or later (within minutes).

I now run the lowest settings and yes I notice the photos itself show in lower resolution when in marking mode.
GPU-Z show me the GPU-processor is used a lot less, most of time 0% while the CPU is at 100% all the time.

I also noticed that in highest settings the editor it horrible slow n my machine, but I guess that is caused by cheap 80 euro GPU-card I use, great for its 4 GB, but slow otherwise.

Conclusion for the moment is that with a cheap GPU card with 4 GB or more you can work rather well with version 3.0.6. so that is an improvement compared with 3.0.5.

My CPU is an i7 3930 with 64 GB RAM
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:22 pm

ThomasV wrote:Hello Georg and Hans,

This option only limits the resolution of the picture we store in the GPU for the realtime preview only, and so no impact in 'Quick preview' or 'Final rendering'. The only goal of this option is to reduce the amount of gpu memory used. It could make the editor more responsive.

@Hans:

Sorry Hans, but I do not understand. Do you find the software more stable by reducing texture quality or do you find it worse ?

Thanks,
Thomas

than I really would advocate for renaming the "Texture Quality" Option in apg to
"Texture size used for realtime preview:" or
"GPU Memory used:"

Georg

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:56 pm

gkaefer wrote:

@Hans:

Thanks,
Thomas

than I really would advocate for renaming the "Texture Quality" Option in apg to

Georg

It is not easy to shorten something like "the resolution of the picture we store in the GPU for the realtime preview ". The most important thing though is that it seems to be very effective when GPU memory is limited, which is mostly is*
What I am also interested in is whether it would be possible to make this parameter dynamicly change itself depending on the amount of the free GPU-memory. So lowering itself when less free GPU-memory is available and increasing it when more GPU-memory is free again. Already I noticed I can change this setting and it has an effect without the need to restart APG. COOL!!!

Also "the realtime preview only, and so no impact in 'Quick preview'" makes me realize I never knew there were two of those :-) Where can I find them?

* I run a i7 3930 machine with 64 GB RAM but "only" 4 GB of GPU RAM on a cheap 80 euro card. Within that 4 GB I can open at the lower setting about 6-8 panoramas of 46 to 60 photos in their editor. Do I change the setting to "half" I can only have 3 editors open at the same time. I have tested the full setting and it brings me back to 1 panorama only.
If only I can buy a GPU-card with 32 GB ;-) 16 GB is available I found http://www.nvidia.com/object/grid-boards.html, would they work with APG. As the board has no connector for a display, you need to use a nother GPU for that. Would APG be able to run on a different card then the one it displays on. Let's wait what 3.0.7. brings us.
Last edited by HansKeesom on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:22 pm

HansKeesom wrote:
gkaefer wrote:

@Hans:

Thanks,
Thomas

Georg

It is not easy to shorten something like "the resolution of the picture we store in the GPU for the realtime preview ". The most important thing though is that it seems to be very effective when GPU memory is limited, which is mostly is*
What I am also interested in is whether it would be possible to make this parameter dynamicly change itself depending on the amount of the free GPU-memory. So lowering itself when less free GPU-memory is available and increasing it when more GPU-memory is free again. Already I noticed I can change this setting and it has an effect without the need to restart APG. COOL!!!

Also "the realtime preview only, and so no impact in 'Quick preview'" makes me realize I never knew there were two of those :-) Where can I find them?

* I run a i7 3930 machine with 64 GB RAM but "only" 4 GB of GPU RAM on a cheap 80 euro card. Within that 4 GB I can open at the lower setting about 6-8 panoramas of 46 to 60 photos in their editor. Do I change the setting to "half" I can only have 3 editors open at the same time. I have tested the full setting and it brings me back to 1 panorama only.
If only I can buy a GPU-card with 32 GB ;-) 16 GB is available I found http://www.nvidia.com/object/grid-boards.html, would they work with APG. As the board has no connector for a display, you need to use a nother GPU for that. Would APG be able to run on a different card then the one it displays on. Let's wait what 3.0.7. brings us.

your 16GB example ;-( it is onyl DDR3 Memory... and it has 4 cores internal with 16GB, so 4GB per core, so I expect apg can only occupy 1 core using 4GB. The Grid K1+2 are only make sense to share the GPU power to virtual mashines...

but basically what I really wanna too see in near furture apg Versions is the Support fo more than one GPU Card. so lets asume the nvidia Titan is somehow affordable for 900€ and it has 6GB GDDR5 Memory on board. So 2 such Cards would also make sense - if apg could handle the 12GB Memory...
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:57 pm

gkaefer wrote:....so lets asume the nvidia Titan is somehow affordable for 900€ and it has 6GB GDDR5 Memory on board. So 2 such Cards would also make sense - if apg could handle the 12GB Memory...
Georg

I have been looking at the Titan also. It's a single processor it seems therefore the best thing for APG at the moment. But as we could read 3.0.7. promises a lot regarding GPU so I will wait on that before investing in a GPU.

APG using multiple GPU-processors would be great. Even if it would be a matter of one editor using one processor and another editor using the other one.
Regards, Hans Keesom

Christian Stüben

by Christian Stüben » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:41 am

gkaefer wrote:I only find "GPU quality" I can set to "full, medium, low".

so "low GPU quality" implies less pano quality. even if I can work on moe panos at the same time, I dont wanna loose quality...
Georg

Yes, medium and low means lower visible quality. But dont´t worry, we all know that gpu is used for screen editing only. The rendering is always done "full quality" by cpu only.

I think i will like the new feature too. My grafic card (old laptop) has 1 gb ram, sloooow ram. So screen editing is a pain. Just installed the 306, i am eager to do the next pano to see how far it really helps...

greetings from gemany
Chris
---
always remember, the world is a flat disk.

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Unfortunately the new modes/version still do nothing to solve the problem in http://www.kolor.com/forum/t17813-at-which-zoom-level-can-i-be-sure-that-the-preview-shows-me

Maybe a double-full version?
Last edited by HansKeesom on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

Return to Autopano bug & discussion