Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:17 pm 

I am stitching about 8-20 Jpeg frames from a Nikon D800, rarely a few more, but it can occur with all sizes of panorama even half a dozen frames.

This is what the machine tells me it has inside:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 2
Memory: 4 GB

2.6.4 works well on the default settings even 30-40 frames. 3.0.5 simply doesn't work properly. Some panoramas come up in the editor as very distorted, often a tiny thin vertical crescent of an image bearing no relationship I can see to the intended picture. More often than not the stitch looks OK in the editor but the whole system grinds to a halt in either the detection or stitching modes. I can see some reports of 3.0.5 using lots of memory and being slow but on my system (which I'll admit isn't a hugely powerful machine) it in effect hangs the machine. I am seeing similar on an AMD machine (roughly similar power and memory) - 2.6.4 runs and 3.0.5 doesn't. I'm seeing the odd detections as well. I cannot find anything in the fora (apologies if it is there) but I'd really like to use 3.0.5 which currently is of no use to me at all. 2.4.6 is back on both my machines.

I am not a techie and I'd value any advice about how to proceed. Is it the large number of pixels in each frame?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Skinner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:10 pm 

a_c_skinner wrote:
I am stitching about 8-20 Jpeg frames from a Nikon D800, rarely a few more, but it can occur with all sizes of panorama even half a dozen frames.

This is what the machine tells me it has inside:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 2
Memory: 4 GB

2.6.4 works well on the default settings even 30-40 frames. 3.0.5 simply doesn't work properly. Some panoramas come up in the editor as very distorted, often a tiny thin vertical crescent of an image bearing no relationship I can see to the intended picture. More often than not the stitch looks OK in the editor but the whole system grinds to a halt in either the detection or stitching modes. I can see some reports of 3.0.5 using lots of memory and being slow but on my system (which I'll admit isn't a hugely powerful machine) it in effect hangs the machine. I am seeing similar on an AMD machine (roughly similar power and memory) - 2.6.4 runs and 3.0.5 doesn't. I'm seeing the odd detections as well. I cannot find anything in the fora (apologies if it is there) but I'd really like to use 3.0.5 which currently is of no use to me at all. 2.4.6 is back on both my machines.

I am not a techie and I'd value any advice about how to proceed. Is it the large number of pixels in each frame?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew Skinner

I think 3.0.5 is MUCH more demanding of hardware than 2.6.4.

Most likely your problems relate mostly to insufficient RAM for 3.0.5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:00 pm 

I can understand that for the effective "hang" and the poor performance (though my hardware is OK, so I think this isn't a satisfactory state of affairs) but the faulty detections makes me wonder. Have I the lowest spec machines running 3.0.5 in the world? I doubt this so I cannot see that as the whole story.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:14 am 
Administrator

Are you running the OS in 64bits of 32bits ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:50 am 

Mountain Lion is 64 bit only I think but the Ubuntu is 32 bit as their www site darkly hints that 32 bit is easier to get working. I've looked again at the detection on the Mac. Curiously if you change the projection in "edit" to anything but the default you get a recognisable scene in two halves with the blank check pattern separating them. When I've got a bit of time I'll get screen shots and work out how to post them. And work out how to do screenshots in OS-X. I'll also look out some big D200 panos and see if smaller JPGs make a difference.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:48 am 

a_c_skinner wrote:
Mountain Lion is 64 bit only I think but the Ubuntu is 32 bit as their www site darkly hints that 32 bit is easier to get working. I've looked again at the detection on the Mac. Curiously if you change the projection in "edit" to anything but the default you get a recognisable scene in two halves with the blank check pattern separating them. When I've got a bit of time I'll get screen shots and work out how to post them. And work out how to do screenshots in OS-X. I'll also look out some big D200 panos and see if smaller JPGs make a difference.

Andrew

That sounds as though you need to go through a more rigorous edit procedure now that you've got a reasonable projection and forced every image into one panorama

Look at the individual pairs of images in edit to check either whether there is a pair with no or insufficient overlap or a pair with no matching control points then use the CP editor to put them in (may need "strong" detection setting in the settings file).

I have a similar config to you although I'm using Win7 but don't recognise the problems in 3.0.5 you describe . I'm sure there are plenty of people who are using 3.0.5 with Win XP where you are restricted to less RAM then you have

good luck
Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:15 am 

Thanks, I can appreciate that, but it doesn't answer why 2.4.6 works perfectly on the same machine with the same files. If it is true then 3.0.5 is a downgrade. 2.4.6 tells me the links are good and high quality. Are your files from a big sensor? I've still not had chance to experiment with old D200 10meg files as opposed to 36meg D800 files.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:40 pm 

a_c_skinner wrote:
Thanks, I can appreciate that, but it doesn't answer why 2.4.6 works perfectly on the same machine with the same files. If it is true then 3.0.5 is a downgrade. 2.4.6 tells me the links are good and high quality. Are your files from a big sensor? I've still not had chance to experiment with old D200 10meg files as opposed to 36meg D800 files.

Andrew

I wish :)

No mine come from a 12MP Pocket Canon Powershot S100 so you're right I can't compare like with like - although I am struggling to see why your high-res images (36MP isn't it ?) should cause problems with APG 3.0.5

I guess the next step would be for you to bite the bullet and upload a few to the forum ftp inbox and let some of the stichmeisters on here have a play around with them

best
Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:40 pm 

I have uploaded 7 jpgs, a description and screen shots to the FTP dropbox.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:22 am 

a_c_skinner wrote:
I have uploaded 7 jpgs, a description and screen shots to the FTP dropbox.

Andrew

Excuse my ignorance in such matters but I was interested in having a look at this problem. Is there a url to pick up this data ?

I tried to look in "incoming" on the official Kolor inbox but it is empty and the documentation suggests that only Kolor personnel have access to this data anyway

How do other registered non-Kolor members access each others samples usually ?

best
Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:27 am 

Don't know, but if anyone from Kolor is reading this I've no objection to the file being shared, though it is 130Mb. I am band width limited on my site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:13 am 

marzipano wrote:
How do other registered non-Kolor members access each others samples usually ?

best
Martin

Some use Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:47 am 

a_c_skinner wrote:
Don't know, but if anyone from Kolor is reading this I've no objection to the file being shared, though it is 130Mb. I am band width limited on my site.

It would seem only Kolor staff can access that upload as it sounds as though you put the samples in the Kolor ftp "incoming" collection area. As that was what I suggested in my earlier post I humbly apologise :( (although I hadn't appreciated that restriction at the time !!)

To get other members to help with the problem it looks as though you have to use Dropbox or similar and publish the link address within this thread

As an aside it might be worth having a "Kolor staff only" or "Any registered member" selection on the ftp incoming inbox as I'm sure that many/most people would be happy for other members to help resolve the problems

best
Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:59 am 

For completeness sake I have now installed 3.0.7 on my Ubuntu machine and it seems to be working properly.

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:19 am 

Hi Andrew.. Can you please try this an see what you get..

Load panos, detect and render at 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 and so on until you get to max render size...

Thanks

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:53 pm 

Sorry, I don't follow that. I've not got 3.0.5 installed anywhere so I can only do it on 3.0.7 which seems to be working.

When you say load panos, you mean the constituent files? Then render at 2000 (etc) what? DPI? %?

I'll happily try this but need more direction. Did anyone look at the screenshots I uploaded?

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:49 am 

Ok Andrew..

This is needed since you have D800 which provides for a huge images size so therefore any discrepancies are more apparent...

Firstly, you would be better off to upgrade to 3.0.7 even using Trail Version if you are able to... 3.0.8 will be available very soon...

All you need to do is load your images, detect at default settings... After that use the 1 to setup for Rendering.. At 2, Render at Max, then slide it down to 10,000 will do as the next and render again, naming your pano's at 3.. Keep doing that until you get down to 2000px..

If you have Photoshop, or any other image editing software, edit all images to be all the same size 72dpi, 1000 X 500 save as jpg and name them accordingly, 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000, 10,000 and Max..

Zip and send the images to me at dps@westnet.com.au I will then make the images available to Kolor after I have further processed them..

Thank you

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)