Repeatable crash when opening a folder to select images - APP 3.0.5  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
karma mechanic

Repeatable crash when opening a folder to select images - APP 3.0.5

by karma mechanic » Sun May 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Mostly repeatable anyway... Windows 8 Pro.

I can open APP, then use the 'Select images' button, navigate to a folder containing the files. At this point for most folders it simply opens them, but in some cases and with some folders in particular it crashes APP.

The folders where it does this usually contain DNG files plus the xmp files from Aftershot Pro. Generally the crash happens if I switch to the 'large icons' view and there are more thumbnails than fit in one screen. When I scroll down APP crashes, I can repeat it after a few tries. My impression is that scrolling while the thumbnails are being rendered is when this happens. *edited to add* I can force it to crash simply by rotating round the different views.

When it crashes there is the 'Autopano Pro (Build 12/03/2013) has stopped working' popup, with only the 'Close program' button. Nothing else happens until I press that button, however long I leave it.

In Action Center I can open the Reliability Record and open the details for such crashes, always the same details:
-----------------------------------------------
Source
Autopano Pro (Build 12/03/2013 )

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎12/‎05/‎2013 16:04

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\Kolor\Autopano Pro 3.0\AutopanoPro_x64.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: AutopanoPro_x64.exe
Application Version: 3.0.5.400
Application Timestamp: 513f04c4
Fault Module Name: StackHash_58b1
Fault Module Version: 6.2.9200.16420
Fault Module Timestamp: 505ab405
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: PCH_1B_FROM_ntdll+0x0000000000002C2A
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 58b1
Additional Information 2: 58b107ff772738b9d40473f199a9bbac
Additional Information 3: 398f
Additional Information 4: 398ffb97eb84e25cb020526ceb62d673

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: dae2bdc92438601f1b7abf5ca3a5c973 (104288499)
---------------------------------

What isn't evident is where there might be a more complete dump. The system is set to do full dumps, but I can't see anything more than the above.

*edit* I have located a dump file and uploaded it to the FTP site along with some details.

Last edited by karma mechanic on Sun May 12, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun May 12, 2013 7:15 pm

karma mechanic wrote:The folders where it does this usually contain DNG files plus the xmp files from Aftershot Pro.

let away the xmp files, i´d say.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
karma mechanic

by karma mechanic » Sun May 12, 2013 10:22 pm

klausesser wrote:
karma mechanic wrote:The folders where it does this usually contain DNG files plus the xmp files from Aftershot Pro.

best, Klaus

Just tried a folder with a mixture of JPEG and PSD files, no XMP files. Scrolling while the thumbnails were being filled-in caused the same crash.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon May 13, 2013 6:39 am

karma mechanic wrote:
klausesser wrote:

best, Klaus

Just tried a folder with a mixture of JPEG and PSD files, no XMP files. Scrolling while the thumbnails were being filled-in caused the same crash.

Never experienced such a behavior. Guess it´s the OS or the hardware!?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
karma mechanic

by karma mechanic » Mon May 13, 2013 8:42 am

I just made a copy of the data on an SSD. (Not all of it, but a selection).
Opening the folders worked exactly as expected. Thumbnail creation is a bit faster.

Then I erased the originals and copied the data back to the HDD. I also scanned the HDD for file system errors, nothing found.

Then after opening a few folders at random I encountered the crash when opening one of the ones that had been moved.

Still experimenting... I'm trying to establish a case which involves fewer files.

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Mon May 13, 2013 9:59 am

maybe also some Special characters in filenames and/or foldernames are causing the trouble.
so filenames by Default should contain no spaces only a-z,A-Z,0-9, underscore and minus...
Georg

no avatar
karma mechanic

by karma mechanic » Mon May 13, 2013 10:19 am

Although the problem is repeatable it isn't completely repeatable, in that some folders will open perfectly well a few times. Changing the view of the folder can trigger it, and that seems to be particularly the case if it has just been opened and the thumbnails are still catching up.

At the moment I have formatted the 500 GB data drive and I'm copying all the data back onto it. Be a while yet...

The folder view is always set to 'all files'. Is there a way to make it default to image files, or a user-specified list such as DNG, JPG, TIF etc?

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

by AlexandreJ » Mon May 13, 2013 1:18 pm

We had such crash when parsing some images files that were corrupted ( some empty gif, some corrupted jpeg, etc ).
So probably you have one file somewhere that didn't decode well and crash autopano.
Using dichotomy, you should be able to isolate that file. Then sent it to us for analysis and we'll find the issue.

no avatar
karma mechanic

by karma mechanic » Mon May 13, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I've moved all the data back.

After browsing through the reliability history I saw this one, for explorer.exe but with a lot of similarity:

Source
Windows Explorer

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎11/‎05/‎2013 09:02

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.2.9200.16433
Application Timestamp: 50763312
Fault Module Name: StackHash_58b1
Fault Module Version: 6.2.9200.16420
Fault Module Timestamp: 505ab405
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: PCH_43_FROM_ntdll+0x0000000000002C2A
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 58b1
Additional Information 2: 58b107ff772738b9d40473f199a9bbac
Additional Information 3: 398f
Additional Information 4: 398ffb97eb84e25cb020526ceb62d673

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: b580a4a6a7c292c5d36288585025615f (83237873)

From what I recall that one was when I was moving files from an SD card to the data directory, APP was not involved. Lots of c0000374 hits on Google.

no avatar
karma mechanic

by karma mechanic » Mon May 13, 2013 4:33 pm

All the data is now back on the disk. I have uninstalled FastPictureViewer codec so that thumbnails are built natively - this means that PSD files show an icon instead of a thumbnail but the population of thumbnails into a view is faster.

Opening 'select images' against a folder that normally gives trouble gave the predictable crash when I scrolled the view with the slider, with half the thumbnails in the view showing and half still blank. So then I tried opening it and then scrolling slowly down a line at a time, and watched the thumbnails fill in as each line came into view. It got to the end. At this point it was possible to scroll rapidly up and down the 'large icon' view using the slider - it would appear that if the thumbnails are fully-populated then there is no crash.

Then I tried again, going into that folder and sliding the slider rapidly down - it crashed with a few thumbnails on screen but mostly blanks.

I strongly suspect that the error only occurs when scrolling large amounts while the thumbnails are being populated. Windows doesn't seem to be able to remember them for long due to a limit on the size of the database, it tends to flush it and start again on a whim.

Does this let APP off the hook? I guess it depends on how it is calling the system file browser. Using APP's own browser it has no problem at all, so again this points to thumbnails.
It was harder to make it crash with FastPictureViewer disabled, but it still crashed. FastPictureViewer does slow it down since it builds thumbnails for PSD files, and that slowing down is probably why it crashes more - it is easier to scroll while the thumbnails are still being generated.

I'll see if I get any thoughts from Windows experts elsewhere...

no avatar
karma mechanic

by karma mechanic » Mon May 13, 2013 7:09 pm

I just had one with a different outcome - the popup about sending files to Microsoft. I have zipped the files and dropped them off in the FTP incoming folder.

no avatar
karma mechanic

by karma mechanic » Tue May 14, 2013 4:47 pm

Finally...
My original Windows 8 install was an upgrade from 7 with the user data and applications preserved.

Today I decided to try a completely clean install, after imaging the current one.

I installed from DVD, and tried to keep everything as slim as possible. Just Photoshop, Autopano, Aftershot Pro, Picasa and some other odds and ends. In order to see thumbnails for DNG and PSD files in the file system I installed the FastPictureViewer codecs as before.

So far everything is working fine. Thumbnails still take a while to populate, and indeed it seems to forget them and start again at the drop of a hat, but the symptoms relating to the original post are absent.

I was quite surprised at how different a vanilla install looks - I guess I'd got used to my machine over three years of Windows 7 and then 8 with it looking the way it did. I've put Start8 back on, naturally

So, at the moment I'm jut putting things back the way they were, but without all the rubbish. And hopefully without whatever was upsetting explorer and programs that use it.

Return to Autopano bug & discussion