Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:35 am 

I will first acknowledge that I did not originally purchase Autopano Giga for this purpose and it is perhaps slightly out of scope for the product BUT I really wish AP could successfully stitch flat images (with multiple repeated patterns).

For example, I have taken about 40 screen captures of an enormous map (from my iPhone) and I would like to automatically stitch them together. This map is not available in any other format (other than in small segments on my iPhone screen).

Unfortunately, AutoPano has extreme difficulty piecing these images together. Yes, I have selected Multiple Viewpoints and tried many iterations of settings and none result in a successful stitch. I have tried similar images in the past, so I wasn't expecting a success this time.

My questions:
- Is there a special trick, to stitch such images together, that I am not aware of?
- Will Kolor consider adding such capability in a future version?
- Must I force my lazy self to manually stitch all 40 images together in Photoshop?

Update:
WOW!

Microsoft ICE stitched these images together PERFECTLY!

New question: If the FREE ICE can do this by simply a drag and drop to the software and 15 seconds later result in a perfect stitching, why can't my $200 + AutoPano Giga do this? LOL

NOTE: I am not angry (just curious)... b/c I figure that AutoPano Giga has literally saved me from 1000's of hours of manual image stitching. The program was well worth the money!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:29 am 

sdconnelly wrote:
Update:
WOW!

Microsoft ICE stitched these images together PERFECTLY!

New question: If the FREE ICE can do this by simply a drag and drop to the software and 15 seconds later result in a perfect stitching, why can't my $200 + AutoPano Giga do this?

Probably because ICE claims to be able to handle orthogonal projections....APP/APG doesn't.

AFAIK this sort of stitching is not 'slightly out of scope for the product' ...my understanding is that APP/APG is not designed for this type of stitching at all.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat May 11, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:55 am 

did you try changing focal length to 1000 and up top 10.000mm?
Manual Placement, Setting Manual CPs with local optimazation followed and when all Images placed finally an global optimazation?
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:15 am 

play with multiple viewpoint setting.

Manual placement is a good idea if pictures are made on regular distance