[APG 3.0.2 64bit Windows]memory is not returned when editor closes  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
HansKeesom

[APG 3.0.2 64bit Windows]memory is not returned when editor closes

by HansKeesom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm

I am working with multiple editor which went fine with especialiy version 3.0.0.

with 3.0.3 I get the impression that after doing many previews I loose more and more (GPU) memory which means I have to restart APG before I can edit and preview any more panoramas.

Not sure exactly how and when, will add that later.

Hope others that have same experiences can share theirs.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:04 pm

with GPU turned off I can start previewing multiple panoramas very easily. Slowly RAM fills up and when that is full the pagefile kicks in. While scrolling at 150% things get slower and slower and more and more pagefile traffic happens. Tested it on a 16 GB machine but saw the same on a 64 GB one, just took a bit longer to fill the 64 GB and start the pagefile.

Closing all editors brings back the RAM usage to 9 GB from 16. Opening only two panoramas bring me back to 16 GB RAM used. closing these two bring me to 8 GB . Opening one to 13,5 GB again. Closing it to back to 8 GB again. Closing the programm bring me to 2 GB memory used.
Opening the programm again and loading all 6 panoramas but not in editor bring me to 3,43 GB used. This situation is the same as after I closed all 6 editors, the difference however is 5,4 GB, almost a GB for each panorama. Opening all panoramas in their own editor and then closing all of them again bring me to 3,93 GB RAM used to half a GB lost on just opening and closing 6 editors. Closing the programm totally bring me under 2 GB of RAM used again.

Seems like closing an editor does not remove all RAM that was used for that panorama. When working through a large number of panoramas this is a problem.
Also it seams that zooming and panning in the editor with preview is also waisting lots of memory.

Don't know what has changed between 3.0.0. and 3.0.3. regarding the memory used by the editor (doing preview) but I think I don't like it.

How is memory cleanup done while editors are open? After they have closed? Is it garbagecollection methodoly in the sense that you need to give the programm some time/computer cycles to clean up after itself? Don't see that happening actually.
Last edited by HansKeesom on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:58 pm

more research done. If you open a panorama and zoom to 150%. Then press preview. Noticy more memory is used. Pan the panoram and press preview for that area. Notice more memory being used.
Each time you pan to a different area and press preview, more memory is used. Until you hit memory max on your computer and pagefile kicks in.
Closing the editor bring back lots of the memory lost but not all of it.

Conclusion : Preview ing part of panorama is using memory that is not returned when panning to a different aread and also not when editor is closed. Seems like a big bug to me.
Regards, Hans Keesom

ThomasV
Kolor Team

by ThomasV » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 am

Hello,

I indeed reproduce a such behavior. Thanks for pointing that.
Issue 1742.

Regards,
Thomas

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:51 am

Thanks. Hope you can solve it soon and release a version without this bug. I am loosing lots of time due to this.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Michael Ezra

by Michael Ezra » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:01 pm

I am confused - could anyone clearly state to which exact versionS of APG does this apply to?

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:29 pm

3.0.3. tittle was a copy-paste error
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Michael Ezra

by Michael Ezra » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks. I am still using 3.0.0 should I move to 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 or is it more reliable to use 3.0.0 for now?

ThomasV
Kolor Team

by ThomasV » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:27 am

Hello miachael,

To my mind, this bug has not been introduced in 3.0.2 or 3.0.3, it might be there since 3.0. So, you can use 3.0.3 version since there was many bug fixed since 3.0.0.

Regards,
Thomas

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Sorry Thomas,

but I am rather sure it was. I am previewing panoramas all the time and only noticed it at 3.0.3. I used all version that existed. If I could I would gladly return to 3.0.2.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:47 pm

HansKeesom wrote:If I could I would gladly return to 3.0.2.

Here you are:

http://download.kolor.com/apg/stable/history
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:58 am

Thanks,

Just finished testing 3.0.1. and no experienced no memoryloss in that version. Hope to do 3.0.2. tomorrow.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:20 pm

just tested 3.0.2. problem IS there. so since 3.0.2. the problem is there. I am going back to 3.0.1.
Last edited by HansKeesom on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:44 pm

in 3.05. the problem is still there. Have to close the programm totally to get all the memory back (32 GB) When loading all the groups again only 2 GB is used. After opening 4 editors I have used 3.5 GB.
Then I start doing previewing at different resolutions and see memory used growing again to 32 GB. The programm will then cause the pagefile to be used a lot

If I then close all 4 editors does not solve the problem. The whole programm needs to be closed to be able to have normal use of memory again, starting at 2 GB again.

This is very annoying when working myself through a big multipanorama project.
Regards, Hans Keesom

no avatar
Jeremiahscott

by Jeremiahscott » Thu May 09, 2013 5:12 am

Yep, we are experiencing the same issues on all machines we have.

Return to Autopano bug & discussion