32 bit tiff read  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
kimaldis

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

32 bit tiff read

by kimaldis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm having trouble reading 32 bit floating point tiff files into Autopano Giga. The read but they're a flat grey with a slight ghost of the image showin. Should this be working?

(tiffs generated by Photomatix merge to 32 bit Lightroom plugin)

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 pm

32bit images... so HDR. do you have an HDR capable screen? if not some sort of tonemapping must take place.
try to open the detected pano and use the preview option. does this change what is displayed?
I did actually test it by ignoring what I do see and finally rendered to .exr pano. opening with photomatix again let me apply tonemapping....

Georg

no avatar
kimaldis

Topic author
Info

by kimaldis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Possibly, but it deals better with 16 bit images. I'll run some tests and come back

To be honest I'm not that impressed with the way Autopano deals with HDR. It's a bit all over the place.

Thanks.

no avatar
kimaldis

Topic author
Info

by kimaldis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 am

OK, some thoughts. 1. it handles 16 bit images OK so obviously it can do some form of mapping. 2. The imported 32 bit images look nothing at all like I'd expect a 32 bit image to look, be it crushed, clamped or more carefully remapped. 3. Stitching fails miserably.

So I'd say 32 bit tiff reads are bust, as far as I can see from this end.

Personally I'd have preferred to stitch each EV pass first and do the merge and tone mapping on the stitched results but that's never going to happen because the stitching process isn't repeatable, you can't stitch any set identically to any previous. So it looks like, as far as I can tell, there's not way to do a stitch and have the result turn out in HDR. The best you can get is MDR. Unless anyone has any suggestions?

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 am

Use OpenEXR or RadianceRGBE. The former is more space efficient.

no avatar
kimaldis

Topic author
Info

by kimaldis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:34 pm

That much is obvious but I don't see how that solves the problem being discussed here.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:40 pm

kimaldis wrote:I'm having trouble reading 32 bit floating point tiff files into Autopano Giga. The read but they're a flat grey with a slight ghost of the image showin. Should this be working?

(tiffs generated by Photomatix merge to 32 bit Lightroom plugin)

For what reason do you want to read 32bit/ch fp TIFs into APG?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
kimaldis

Topic author
Info

by kimaldis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 pm

It's the fastest and most convenient way to shoehorn it into my pipeline.
Last edited by kimaldis on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 pm

kimaldis wrote:It's the fastest and most convenient way to shoehorn it into my pipeline.

Whatever that means . . . :cool:

In fact there is little reason to act this way - that´s why i´m curious.

no avatar
kimaldis

Topic author
Info

by kimaldis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:14 pm

It means that it's currently the best way for me to work. I'm not sure how that bears on the question either.

It was a simple question and all I wanted was a simple confirmation, yes it works or no it doesn't. Instead I had one 'it does work' - it doesn't, one 'use another format' - without any indication that that might work - and one questioning of my working methods. But no answer. Forgive my tetchiness but I think we've all got better things to do than run around in circles.

The answer, by the way, is that it doesn't work. It's completely bust.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm

kimaldis wrote:Forgive my tetchiness but I think we've all got better things to do than run around in circles.

You´re absolutely right: i guess we all have better things to do than answering senseless questions.

I´m doing a lot panos and composings to be used for IBL in Maya or Max. The use for IBL is the only
reason making sense to stitch HDR-images instead of going another way.

It works - but i guess you are too clever to accept advises. So find out yourself.

:cool:

Klaus

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Please Klaus, here, I think that kimaldis has a workflow that works well for him/her and we shoud not comment that but what can be done for autopano to integrate into it.
There are many reason for which tiff 32bits could be needed in a workflow ( we have several customers in CG, all majors FX companies in fact, so this is a topic I saw a lot and some workflow were that way and you cannot do anything against that ... or you should recode a full render farm with cluster software, just to do a little better. That's a waste of time and money ).

Now to kimaldis : yes, we are aware that we don't support yet tiff 32bits. I'll add that to the todo list ( we got the same request with PSD/PSB 32bits too BTW ).

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:19 pm

AlexandreJ wrote:Please Klaus, here, I think that kimaldis has a workflow that works well for him/her and we shoud not comment that but what can be done for autopano to integrate into it.
There are many reason for which tiff 32bits could be needed in a workflow ( we have several customers in CG, all majors FX companies in fact, so this is a topic I saw a lot and some workflow were that way and you cannot do anything against that ... or you should recode a full render farm with cluster software, just to do a little better. That's a waste of time and money ).

Now to kimaldis : yes, we are aware that we don't support yet tiff 32bits. I'll add that to the todo list ( we got the same request with PSD/PSB 32bits too BTW ).

Hi Alexandre!

Yes. But i had no chance to correct myself in this thread because it was closed . . . :rolleyes:;)

In the new thread which i opened i hope i was more precise. I know very well that 32bit TIF can be needed. I only questioned it related to the needs for Kim to get his image done - no FX, no IBL, no use in 3D apps and so son.
Regarding his hardware my intention was to show him alternatives.

best, Klaus

no avatar
mattmerk

Info

by mattmerk » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:48 am

Here's just one example reason that one may want to preassemble their brackets into 32 bit photos: Maybe they are shooting on a gigapan head with an 8mm focal length lens that has such a wide FOV that it actually captures part of the robotic rig. By preassembling the brackets into 32 bit float they can automate embedding alpha channels into their source images for Autopano Giga to ignore during the pano rendering. It makes the whole process automatic.

I'm still waiting to hear back about APG not actually rendering true HDR but instead generating EXRs and .hdr images with values that only go from zero to one, which is NOT HDRI, just LDRI wrapped in a 32 bit file format.