APG chokes on these images, can't figure out why, please help  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
DrSlony

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

APG chokes on these images, can't figure out why, please help

by DrSlony » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 pm

Hey!

APG is giving me hell trying to stitch a pano. It refuses to automatically create CPs between images that obviously overlap. I've uploaded a zip with 9 photos from this pano to your FTP, drslony_apg_stitch_problem.zip

You can see in the first screenshot that APG finds CPs between only two of the three stacks.
If I force all images to be in the same pano, then manually link two photos between the unmatched stacks, optimize pano, then right-click on the photo I just manually linked and choose 'geometric analysis' and then optimize pano again, it turns out APG can stitch them, as you see in the second screenshot... so why doesn't it do that from the beginning?

I can do this manual-linking and geometric analysis thing on these 9 photos, but doing that on the whole >100 photo bracketed pano, especially when the photos are full-sized, is practically impossible.

I've tried APG 2.6.4 and 3.0-beta2, no difference.
Gentoo Linux 64bit, 8GB RAM, nvidia drivers.

DrSlony

Topic author
Info

by DrSlony » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:31 pm

The full-sized images are automatically stitched together fine (oof!) but I'm still curious why APG would choke on the 900px-wide downscaled ones...

DrSlony

Topic author
Info

by DrSlony » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 pm

It had no trouble stitching the whole bracketed pano when I downscaled the photos to 1200px wide, but chokes on 900px...

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:51 am

With low resolution images, autopano can have problem to find relation between images. The reason is quite simple :
- a relation for us, is the fact that two images has over a certain number of CP in common. The value depends on the quality of detection but not only.
- with a low resolution, because CP are more rare, the total number of cp between a given pair can drop under this needed minimal cp value and no link is created. The fact that you have a bigger resolution, you'll get automatically more cp and so the link is kept.

no avatar
marek.garamszegi

Info

by marek.garamszegi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi DrSlony !

Nice to see using this app on Gentoo ! I love this distro, because its working how do you make it !
Maybe I ask You later for system config and optimizations if You share me it ! I tried autopano in Ubuntu and it was very slow and I didnt try on different Linux distros...

Marek