Autopano Giga 3.0.0 Beta 2 (Win) - Geometry analysis  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
marek.garamszegi

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Autopano Giga 3.0.0 Beta 2 (Win) - Geometry analysis

by marek.garamszegi » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Geometry analysis in APG 3.0.0 Beta 2 is extremely slow, i think freezes, because on APG 3.0.0 B2 i did not finsh any Geometry analysis. Yesterday I try to add into 102 16Mpix pictures panorama controlpoints using Geometry analysis, and after 10 hours nothing change, but Autopano process still work (11% CPU usage). Today I want only Local Geometry analysis on one picture, and after 3 hours same. I Think it freezes in about 20% because after all night i see same result as olny local geometry.

Machine:
Dell XPS Studio 435 MT
i7 920 CPU
32GB RAM
ATI Radeon 4850 (dell branded)
WIndows 7 SP1 64bit
Autopano Giga 3.0.0 Beta 2 for Windows 64bit

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Geometry analysis and some other parts runs on one processor only. Therefore I alwasy work on 4 to 6 editors in round robin style, alt tabbing between them. Had to shut of GPU processing for that though and pause bath processing untill all editing has been done.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
marek.garamszegi

Topic author
Info

by marek.garamszegi » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Hans, thanks for quick reply.

Now I tested same workflow with same APG 3 Beta 2... My motebook was:

Dell Precision M4500
i7 Q720
16 GB RAM
nVidia FX880M
Windows 7 SP1 64bit
Autopano Giga 3.0.0 Beta 2 for Windows 64bit

And Geometry analysis is minimallly 10x faster !!!
Difference is in source files - on Deskop (XPS) i am usimg TIFF files and on laptop (Precision) i am using JPG files.
It is interresting...

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:54 pm

Of course jpeg goed faster....just look at size difference
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 pm

HansKeesom I don't think source image makes a difference, for two reasons:
1- when read into memory they are just arrays of pixel color values, their original format makes no difference here,
2- AP converts all images to TIFF anyways, check your temp folder.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:54 am

Geometric analysis won't last longer if you use tiff or jpeg.
It does take long when there are a lot of overlapping. Imagine a 20 images panorama, which are all stacked. In this case, we need to check for CP for any image with any other because any image is covering any other. For 20 images, that's 20 * 19 / 2 = 190 pairs of image to check ... Definitively long.

no avatar
marek.garamszegi

Topic author
Info

by marek.garamszegi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks all for replies !

1. I was taked this panorama with 35% overlaping, because with my experience APG sometimes cant properly merge pictures on white walls and ceilings. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Propably it is reason, why geometric analysis is very long - i have lot of overlapping.
2. What i dont understand, why on more power and faster machine is Geometric analysis much slower than on notebook with slower CPU and half of RAM if input files format doesnt matter... Will Geometry analysis use GPU ?

Marek

no avatar
marek.garamszegi

Topic author
Info

by marek.garamszegi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Hello all again...

What hardware affect Geometry analysis ? Size and speed of RAM and speed of only one core of CPU ? Is better for geometry analysis to have 4core CPU with more speed ? I want in near future replace my workstation and this information is critical for good component selection.
Marek

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:22 pm

One key information that I should have said. Geometric analysis is a good tool, but not the right way to create control point ( it is not optimized and won't be optimize as the workflow is not the one recommended ).

If you have images with known location and want them to have control point, then use papywizard plugin with a XML that stores the coordinates. Then, everything will be multithreaded and fast. You need to think of geometric analysis like a papywizard plugin but after a first detection.