APG Poor Stitch Compared to PS  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
alosurdo

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

APG Poor Stitch Compared to PS

by alosurdo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:21 am

Hi,

I am relatively new to panographic photography however have been a professional photographer for many years. I am looking at pano photography for my own pleasure as well as for clients.

I have been testing the demo version of APG and have tried a lot of different combinations but still cant get a good stitch.

I have put the detection quality to HIGH and Control Points/ Image Pair up to 200, played with the Ransac mode but still i cant get a good stitch. The time it takes APG to do its detection is only abou 30s-1min, where as in photoshop it can take as long as 10 minutes (which i dont mind) but it gets it right.

I have highlighted the problem areas in the below image from the APG demo and compared it to photoshop (please also not how photo shops colour rendition is pretty good either). THe original images were 10 raw files.

Granted, i dont know to much about how this software works though it does look very user friendly.

Any help would be appreciated, i would like to purchase the APG + PanoPro as a pack but i need to get these issues sorted out first.

Here is the Photoshop rendered pano:

http://www.camerafilters.com.au/Warriewood-030.jpg

and here is the APG rendered pano (problem areas highlighted)

http://www.camerafilters.com.au/Problem%20AreasFINAL%5BGroup%201%5D-Warriewood-021_Warriewood-030-10%20images.jpg

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:46 am

What I see are a couple of problem areas that can be solved with a bit of CP tweeking and/or postprocessing, while the Photoshop pano suffers hugely from color problems.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
alosurdo

Topic author
Info

by alosurdo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:22 am

Any tips on how i can stitch better with cp on moving objects (eg the waves). In ptgui i simply mask the section to be in and out therefore get the inunterrupted motion eg the wave.

I have read documentation but still am unsure of how to get a smooth stitch.

Thanks in advance

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Here, you have 2 issues :
- first, the geometrical stitch. You need to validate a little the control point so that everything is smooth ( and only one surface of stitch, either the foreground or the background, but not both )
- water blending. Classical case where antighost technology doesn't work well ( even in PS rendering ). Solution here is easy, do 2 rendering, one with antighost for sharp surface ( building, etc ), and one without anti-ghost but diamond weighting and in this mode, the water is perfect ( and better than in PS ). But you'll need to mask out both rendering to select what part come from each panorama.