APG 2.6 RC1 failure on windows 32 bits  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

APG 2.6 RC1 failure on windows 32 bits

by hermer-blr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:54 pm

I am trying unsuccessfully to detect a 249 images panoramas (83 x 3 brackets) - As this will be a "preview", the images are (at the moment) the low quality 16 Mpixels jpg produced by the camera.

First test: I put the memory slider to its minimum (as recommended by Kolor). When, a certain time after having started the detection, I came back to the computer, I noticed that the detection process had stopped (ready to be started again) - This is a bug I have already encountered in the past with 2.5 or 2.6

Second test: I put the memory slider to cat. 200 MBytes. Then, at the middle of the process, I got an error message (no specific message, just an invitation to send the report) - I sent the message and APG crashed.

What must I do ? Please no answer such as "change your configuration" ! I also know that I can go to Photomatix first; this will divide the number of images by 3 ! BUT, what I however expect is to be able to address the 249 images directly in APG !

My configuration is a windows 32 bits, with 4 Gbytes memory...(Yes, I know ! Too old fashioned !)

Thanks for your help...
Nikon D5100 (formerly Nikon D60) - Sigma 10-20 - 24 shots Panoramas in 3 raws
Windows 32 bits - APG
website htt://jmh.trp.free.fr

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:01 pm

hermer-blr wrote:BUT, what I however expect is to be able to address the 249 images directly in APG !

My configuration is a windows 32 bits, with 4 Gbytes memory.

Your expectation may be unrealistic.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Yes, It may - This panorama would be my record. But, until now I only had 2 GBytes memory.

So, I keep hoping... There may be some option that I do not use, etc...

Latest try with 400 Mbytes. Same error message, send report, failure.
Windows 32 bits - APG

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:11 am

There are some settings that you can adjust to reduce even more memory used :
- first : a really low memory slider ( 200 MB ) is okay during detection / editing.
- use standard quality or low detection quality
- do not use GPU mode ( it uses a bit more memory than cpu mode )
- uncheck color correction and enable it only when the panorama is perfectly aligned
- in cpu mode, the preview can be reduced in editor setting ( 1200x600 by default, use 800x400 )

Tell me the results here

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Alexandre, I followed your advices (except changing the size of the preview, because I did not find the corresponding command). But, it crashed during "multiple viewpoint correction".

Previously, it had not run up to that step !

Question: I have a double boot on my computer with Linux (Ubuntu studio). Is there a chance to have a better result if I install APG in Linux ?

Other question: would that be better with Windows 64, but only 4GBytes memory ? Is it possible to install Windows 64 in the same computer, concurrently with Windows 32 and Linux ?

Thank you
Windows 32 bits - APG

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:03 am

It depends on the linux : if it's a 64bits, just go for it. It will work better because we could address all the RAM through it.
In Windows 32bits, 4 GB ram, autopano can use 1.3 GB ram at most ( average number ).
In Windows 64bits, 4 GB ram, autopano can use 3.0 GB ram at most ( average number ).

no avatar
hermer-blr

Topic author
Info

by hermer-blr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:11 pm

I successfully installed Windows 64, in dual boot with my previous Windows XP 32 OS and restarted the test of my 249 images pano.

First test, with the memory slider to the left : crash (I do not know when; I was not in front of my computer when it happened, but this may have been in some of the final stages such as multiple view point calculation...)

Second test, I put the slider, say at 10 % : It worked fine - I could save the .pano, reopen it and work with the control points ! Happy ! The only surprising issue is that when I opened the rendering window it gave an erroneous panorama size of something like 20 Gpixels ! You have to know that the panorama was not correct, comprising orphan images and a second panorama. This may be the reason for that bad figure !
Finally it crashed when I tried to view the pano in "rectilinear" mode (not enough memory). I tryed to save the .pano and lost everything...

Third test, I left the slider as it was in the second test : It worked fine and, at edition, I deleted all the images not belonging to the main panorama. This time the number of pixels was realistic.

Conclusion : I am happy again. Just want to know, where I have to put the memory slider for pano detection with APG 64 (my whole memory size is 4 Gbytes)... Same rule as for APG 32 (ie to the left) ???
Last edited by hermer-blr on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 32 bits - APG