[APG 3.0.0 A1 - Win 7-SP1 x64] Crash when out of temporary space  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

[APG 3.0.0 A1 - Win 7-SP1 x64] Crash when out of temporary space

by foundation » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:37 pm

When running panorama detection if 3.0A1 runs out of temporary space it crashes. I have had this happen multiple times now. APG pops up a dialog saying out of temporary space I hit ok, it pops it up again for another image, and another and at some point crashes. I run APG -> Browse Folder on a large folder of RAW .CR2 files, and of course they take a lot of space to decode. Perhaps APG could do an estimation of how much space a group is going to take to decode before it proceeds and just stop the detection process at that point?

PS I often use multiple temp space drives.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi,

I wrote a formula at http://www.kolor.com/forum/p87033-2011-08-11-11-53-58#p87033
It is to designed to advice you how to build a well running system based on the number of photos you want it put in your panorama. It should also give you a feeling how your computer will run doing a certain size of panorama and wether your temp-space (scratch space) is big enough.
Last edited by HansKeesom on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Info

by foundation » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Thanks HansKeesom. Unfortunately where I encounter this scenario is on my laptop (internal SSD, external drive for images, and external drive for temp space) and I can't get enough temporary space to process a whole folder of images. What I need is the ability to process as many as it can, then stop. Then I can close the processed panos and groups, save the workspace, close the program and restart it to clear the cache/temp space, restart the program load the workspace and continue on. If there was a setting to discard cache after it finished the pano then I wouldn't have this issue.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 7 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Issue 1441

no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Info

by foundation » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:24 am

A follow up note that on Mac OS X 3.0.0a3, the application doesn't seem to crash but the OS becomes glacially slow (to the point that if it goes to sleep I can't even log back in to close down APG and free up space)

Perhaps the temporary space detection could leave 1GB free?

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 7 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:30 pm

We have such test if several temp disk are used. We don't wait for first one to be filled before going to second one ( If I remember well, 1GB is this limit when we switch ).
Nevertheless, if you have only one temp, then, we can fill it up.

no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Info

by foundation » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:50 pm

It will move on to the 2nd temp folder when first is full, but it won't stop when all the temp folders are full correct?

If not, Can I fool it in to thinking my laptop has two drives by specifying another folder on the same hard drive?

no avatar
HansKeesom

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by HansKeesom » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:16 pm

While doing a 67 panoramas job I realised I could delete the oldest directorys in the tempdirectories and that way free up space. Works fine and when having big enough drives I only needs to checkevery few hours. APG is only using the last two directories. I just delete the oldest half of all directories as a habit.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Info

by foundation » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks for the tip Hans, but I like to let my computer run all night long while I'm sleeping :)

no avatar
foundation

Topic author
Info

Re: [APG 3.0.0 A1 - Win 7-SP1 x64] Crash when out of tempora

by foundation » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Well Autopano has become very stable for me over the years except for when I'm trying to stitch panos on my laptop and I only have 400gb of temporary space and I'm sorting my field photos in to panoramas. I use autopano "browse folder" feature to go through the raw files and make small jpgs of the panos it finds and move the pano files to subfolders using "extended save all as". However with 50mp raw files it doesn't take long before autopano runs out of temp space AND CRASHES. There's no reason it should still be crashing when running out of temp space. It's very easy to calculate how much space a raw file needs when decoded. It should check before each pano group if it has enough temp space to decode and stitch those files. When it crashes I have to open up all the auto saved panos sort through which ones are/aren't panos, then start it up again (and re check all the files that it previously decided weren't panos)