need some stiching advice  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
saanthonbunny

need some stiching advice

by saanthonbunny » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Hey there,

Still working out the kinks in my rhythm with this software. Can anyone shed some light on how to fix glitches in my stitch? I have attached a photo of what I am talking about.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 3.09.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 3.09.33 PM.png (61.36 KiB) Viewed 848 times

no avatar
mediavets

Re: need some stiching advice

by mediavets » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:47 pm

saanthonbunny wrote:Hey there,

Still working out the kinks in my rhythm with this software. Can anyone shed some light on how to fix glitches in my stitch? I have attached a photo of what I am talking about.

Check and edit your control points?

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:59 pm

find a photo where this chair is totally visible and place some green markers

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:08 pm

saanthonbunny wrote:Hey there,

Maybe you can share some more informations? =D

Klaus

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:38 am

or provide us a download link with the images so we can returna perfect stitch and .pano file to show how it is done :-)

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:51 am

or provide us a download link with the images so we can return a perfect stitch and .pano file to show how it is done :-)

no avatar
saanthonbunny

by saanthonbunny » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi,
Thank you for the help.
Let me give a little more information. I shot the panorama using a gigapan head. There are 288 photos (jpegs) stitched together. I processed through autopano giga and then put the finished panoramas into panotourpro.

Here is one finished panorama. The stitching errors are rather obvious.
Are there any tutorials or videos that could help me to understand the workflow in correcting this issue?
I am wondering if the issue is the amount of photos being used? I know the program is agitated by different patterns, so the rug certainly doesn't help.

Again, I truly appreciate the help.
-Sarah
Attachments
Whit101.jpg
Are there any tutorials or videos that could help me to understand the workflow in correcting this issue?

no avatar
saanthonbunny

Hi,
Thank you for the help.
Let me give a little more information. I shot the panorama using a gigapan head. There are 288 photos (jpegs) stitched together. I processed through autopano giga and then put the finished panoramas into panotourpro.

I am wondering if the issue is the amount of photos being used? I know the program is agitated by different patterns, so the rug certainly doesn't help.

-Sarah
Attachments
Whit101.jpg

no avatar
saanthonbunny

Hi,
Thank you for the help.

-Sarah
Attachments
Whit101.jpg

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 pm

Sarah - which lens did you use? Did you use DX or FX? Why so much pictures? Did you VERY carefully stup your NPP?
You see: shooting indoors means focusing short distances. The shorter the distance the more important is the optimal alignmet of the NPP.

So you´d be far better of using a fisheye indoors. But the Gigapan head limits the fisheye. So i suggest to use about 17 or 20mm for indoor-shots using the Gigapan - btw.: WHICH typ of Gigapan?

Klaus

as an example - this one took me 45 shots using 35mm : http://360impressions.de/Klap/ (zoom in)

no avatar
saanthonbunny

by saanthonbunny » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your helpful response.
I am using a Nikon D7100 AF-S NIKKOR 18-300mm DX 1:3.5-5.6 on a Gigapan Epic Pro head. The reason for so many photos is due to the FOV, which is 10.9. This had seemed to be the best way to get the zoom with the most amount of detail. Should I adjust?
I was pretty sure I had the NNP secure, but would you mind discussing that a bit more?
What should I adjust/ change?
I may be able to get a fish eye lens, though I doubt it in the near future.
Isn't there an insoftware way of adjusting this?
Please forgive my ignorance. I have learned all of this on a fast curve. It is not the type of photography I am used to. :rolleyes:

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:09 pm

saanthonbunny wrote:Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your helpful response.
I am using a Nikon D7100 AF-S NIKKOR 18-300mm DX 1:3.5-5.6 on a Gigapan Epic Pro head. The reason for so many photos is due to the FOV, which is 10.9. This had seemed to be the best way to get the zoom with the most amount of detail. Should I adjust?

Well - the details lin thi room don´t seem to be of so much importance to show them extremely detailed, right? ;)
So i suggest to use 18mm for having the room´s visual impression.

saanthonbunny wrote:I was pretty sure I had the NNP secure, but would you mind discussing that a bit more?
What should I adjust/ change?

When you shoot indoors the NPP is much more important than shooting outdoors - because the camera-object distance is much closer indoors
and you need pretty much more DOF - meaning smaller aperture and careful focusing to achieve that.

All in all a shorter lens definitely is a preferable way in this case. Generally i suggest to shoot around f8 - 11 - most lenses have their
performance-peak here and the DOF of a 20 or even 35mm lens is quite usable indoors, when you focus carefully and calculate the hyperfocal-distance.

saanthonbunny wrote:Isn't there an insoftware way of adjusting this?

No. :cool:

saanthonbunny wrote:Please forgive my ignorance. I have learned all of this on a fast curve. It is not the type of photography I am used to. :rolleyes:

No problem ;) :cool:

best, Klaus

no avatar
saanthonbunny

by saanthonbunny » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:31 pm

I may have been misleading there. When I said zoom, I am not referring to the lens. We always shoot at 18 mm to maintain the visual impression (as you say :D) I mean the zoom capability in the finished panorama. And, as luck would have it, it is actually extremely important to maintain a high level of detail in these panorama tours. They are so higher ups can identify issues within the rooms, so they need to be able to zoom right in close and have that clarity. Do you suggest a different way?
I also wonder if the technique in this video might be a viable option: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K26Ki4hY ... E590A546A9 That was what I was wondering when I mentioned trying to fix the issue within the software.
Also, I very much admire the panorama you posted earlier. In a perfect world, where I could replicate your process step by step, what would I be doing? Would you be willing to share your process?

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:15 pm

saanthonbunny wrote: We always shoot at 18 mm to maintain the visual impression (as you say :D) I mean the zoom capability in the finished panorama.

Sorry - are you sure you shot this pano with 18mm. I doubt you would have needed 288 shots but no more than 40 or so instead.

Looking @100% shows that your equirectangular image isn´t blown up to much more than 1:1.

saanthonbunny wrote:And, as luck would have it, it is actually extremely important to maintain a high level of detail in these panorama tours. They are so higher ups can identify issues within the rooms, so they need to be able to zoom right in close and have that clarity. Do you suggest a different way?

I usually do the same:
www.klausesser.de/Stadthalle
http://www.360impressions.de/ArchivSchadowstrasse/
200 shots using a 85mm lens. I shot full spheres - you didn´t. So you would have need an even much lesser amount of pictures.

saanthonbunny wrote:I also wonder if the technique in this video might be a viable option: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K26Ki4hY ... E590A546A9 That was what I was wondering when I mentioned trying to fix the issue within the software.

I think there are some options to save your pano by editing the CPs manually. Just give it a try!

saanthonbunny wrote:Also, I very much admire the panorama you posted earlier. In a perfect world, where I could replicate your process step by step, what would I be doing? Would you be willing to share your process?

What you can do to achieve the results i get: just setup your rig more carefully and get used to AutoPanoGiga intensely. That´s it - no rocket-science at all ;) :cool:
Ok - some knowledge in photograhic craftsmenship definitely also helps . . =D

best and good luck, Klaus

no avatar
saanthonbunny

by saanthonbunny » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:31 pm

can you suggest any tutorials? Perhaps concentration on control points might help?

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 pm

saanthonbunny wrote:can you suggest any tutorials? Perhaps concentration on control points might help?

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/Technical_Support

best, Klaus

Return to Autopano bug & discussion