apg 2.6++  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

apg 2.6++

by Destiny » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:48 am

Hi.. I have just run my old pano images through apg 2.6... I ticked on the Focal Calculation and the Distortions calculations to force differences... I then put my detection on High.. I achieved a RMS of 2.92, amazing... The quality of the stitching has greatly improved..!! But sorry to say still not as good as YOU KNOW WHO... but I think with a bit of tweaking it would be ok...

To be honest, I think if I did these pano's again using my new shooting pattern, I would achieve a much better stitch from apg 2.6.. Also when I do the manual focusing too.. But saying this..... I do not have to set manual focus, or worry about manual settings but still achieve a much better result from PTGui... Real shame..!!...

Looking at the Edit window its says Excellent so apg must be doing a good job, so why is the stitching outcome not as good as PTGui... especially with all the added settings in the hope of achieving a better result ... The stitching without any extra editing is all in the green.. but the final render is not great... I will put it down to my images.. and try again!...

Destiny

Last edited by Destiny on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
hankkarl

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by hankkarl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:56 pm

Are you going by the visual appearance or the RMS?

Don't worry about the RMS, you can't compare PTGui and APG RMS, they are based on different points and possibly different numbers of points.

But if you really want a good RMS, eliminate all points but the points under RMS 1.0 or eliminate all CPs except 1 per image pair.

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:21 am

Hi hankkarl.. RMS, not at all.... I just pointed this fact out.. I only ever look at the final render... This pano above suggest it is going to be good but in fact its not that great... so many missed stitched areas.. Putting the same images into PTGui, and comparing the two rendered pano's.. there is no getting away from the fact that PTGui is much better and without all the extra settings... Like I said.. I have to go out and capture new images using my new capture pattern and try again... I am sure apg can do better.. Its just a matter for finding the key to this...

Destiny

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:20 am

Question.. the export to Panotools.. ??? to PTGui... and Hugin... why.... Never played with the Hugin.. well, not sure if I have or not.... I will have to check that one out... Defiantly not used ptp... always more things I don't know...

I am currently working on something very exciting... Panos are great.. but they often show interesting items inside the pano.. wouldn't be great to be able to approach these items and walk/tour around them and even spin and twist/turn them over in 3D virtual space..... With a normal pano, you can only see the face thats captured by the photo.... I want to be able to see the other side of the vase, or figurine, or even the table and chair.. Lots more work but I am about 80% there in achieving just this.... :)

I did some more tests with 2.6++ Sooo much quicker to detect .... much better...... and when using one layer of images, very nice..!!.. I can see those who make mega pixal paos' will appreciate this improvement very much... but the same cannot be said for the fused imported images... they still take forever... and still fail in the stitching... :(

Destiny...