Sometimes poor stitching quality  

This forum is dedicated to Autopano Pro / Giga bug reports and features discussion.
Please read the posting rules before starting a topic!
no avatar
Photomaker

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Sometimes poor stitching quality

by Photomaker » Fri May 20, 2011 9:10 pm

Hello,

I try to stitch a panorama with APP 2.5.2 (Windows 7 professional, 64 bit) out of 8 pictures (without panohead), resulting in a RMS value of 3.02 (very good quality according to APP); I used 150 control points and high detection quality, but do not see any difference when using the standard values) in the preview (here a part of it) everything looks fine:

When I render the panorama with maximum quality (12) and Antighost, I see a certain problem:
The upper picture shows a part of the preview, everything looks fine.
The second picture shows a part of the rendered panorama. The brown building exhibits a sort of step, the sky changes its colour and the church is also not perfect.

Another example is the third and fourth picture, taken from a panorama with 11 pictures without any EXIF information, because taken with the photo function of a video cam). The resulting RMS 2.51 is said to be optimal. The third picture is again a part of the preview (260% to show what I mean), and the second picture is a part of the rendered pano (same values as before): As you see, the heads of the persons are skipped, while the rest of the pano looks quite o.k.

In addition, even if I change the render options, there are no changes in the results.

If you wish, I provide you with the individual photos.

Best regards

Photomaker

Last edited by Photomaker on Fri May 20, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
marzipano

Liked in: 14 posts
Info

by marzipano » Sat May 21, 2011 10:20 pm

These problems are not bugs IMO

I think you will find the Autopano tutorial useful in correcting the problem concerning the headless tourists at what looks like Trafalgar Square

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Manual_correction_of_moving_objects

This example uses Photoshop facilities but I know that it can also be done in free to download editors such as paint.net by cutting out areas you don't want to see in the overlap area and saving in .png format. Autopano works fine on a mixture of jpg and png images in the source data

On the poor stitching problem I would initially advise magnifying that area in the cp editor and putting in extra control points just around here. I have to say this doesn't always seem to completely work and for minor stitching errors it is sometimes easier to resort to Photoshop or similar. If I get these awkward panoramas that keep having stitching errors I sometimes delete all the generated cps and realign the pitch and roll via Move Image Mode then re-do all the cps (excluding any in the close foreground) then re-optimise prior to rendering.

In general it seems to be a case of trying several different approaches till one finally works so there is no single answer. On occasions the older version 2.0.9 also gets better results (but they don't like me keep saying that on here !)

good luck

Martin

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sun May 22, 2011 1:04 am

and if manually shooting... the option multiple viewpoint before recognition may also help to improve the result...
and all settings of the cam like aperture, whitebalance, exposure time, focus etc set manually not auto...
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Photomaker

Topic author
Info

by Photomaker » Sun May 22, 2011 11:26 pm

@ Marzipano:
Thank you very much for the tips; I will try it. You are right, it is Trafalgar Square. Nevertheless, what is a little bit disappointing to me is, that I stitch the panorama with Microsoft ICE with the heads ...

@ Georg:
However, here is another example: the six pictures should result in 2 panos with 2 (slightly) different viewpoints (where will I find this point) I used these detection parameters (first picture).

On the second picture you see the preview, which lools o.k., although the automatic detection should have detect two different panos! With the RMS of 2.7 and the preview I never would expect the result, which clearly indicates that the panos did not match. That is my point.

Best regards

Photomaker

P.s.: Sorry, that I can not put the pictures where they should be

Last edited by Photomaker on Sun May 22, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Photomaker

Topic author
Info

by Photomaker » Sun May 22, 2011 11:47 pm

Here is the resulting pano:

Photomaker

Last edited by Photomaker on Sun May 22, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
GURL

Info

by GURL » Mon May 23, 2011 9:04 am

Photomaker wrote:P.s.: Sorry, that I can not put the pictures where they should be

Pictures are displayed in alphabetical order, so that 1.jpg and 10.jpg are displayed before 2.jpg
Georges