Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:42 pm 

My i7 2600K is unlocked so I don't have to compromise system by changing host frequency.
I run my 3.4 GHz i7 at 4.3 GHz with stock host and increased multiplier instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:14 pm 

KreAture wrote:
My i7 2600K is unlocked so I don't have to compromise system by changing host frequency.
I run my 3.4 GHz i7 at 4.3 GHz with stock host and increased multiplier instead.

I assume you don't mean that I did compromise my system.??? Any indication what your increase gave you in timereduction when rendering?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:35 pm 

With panos where there is minimal swapping the reduction is linear with the increase.
Some systems can scale PCI/AGP clocks seperate from cpu clock, but unless you do that it can cause issues for other parts of the system when just bus-overclocking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:09 pm 

Ronald wrote:
Hans/Henrik,

Thanks you both for your comments...

Honestly, I never thought about a possible bottleneck due the CPU limitations; and, during the review of the results and CPU configurations in the Gigapixel Panorama Speedtest, I noticed that my CPU "issue", I just have two E5405 processors (2Ghz).

Yes, I did have a CPU bottleneck (and I will solve that situation in some point); however, I don't think that my HDD/RAID configuration is having any problem! :-)

Thanks,
Ron

Hi Ron,

Here is a thought : see if you can use real temp or any other programm to look at the temps of your processors. If these are high it might well be that the CPU is running slower to protect itself from getting too hot. If you can upload a screenshot of real temp 3.6 here while the machine is under load I can problably tell.
Better cooling might then bring you more CPU power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:24 pm 

hwinfo32 is good for that. It also shows live cpu-throttling and such for powersaving.
There's also a benchmark if you want to compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:23 pm 

hwinfo64 for those of us running 64-bit OS.

I find hwinfo64 a bit too much information to my taste..... and how to read/set the TJMax of each core is not clear directly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:37 pm 

hwinfo64 does not have benchmarking yet.
Run hwinfo32.

As for the thermal throttling it shows up directly next to each core as a yes/no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:00 pm 

TJMax I was looking for, not thermal throttling yes/no. TJMax is the temperature at which the CPU will lower multiplier etc to save the CPU from overheating. For my i7 920 it was set to 100 by Intel, I turned it down to 95.

But don't bother to find it for me, I am fine how it is.

Next step in speeding up my machine is likely a PCI-SSD or a watercooled case :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:37 pm 

The overclock is limting your RAM btw... It's at 600 instead of 667 dropping the mem bandwidth by 10%.

Here's my i7 2600K.
I could have gotten better performance if I had bought better RAM but the kit I got was on special and the deal was just great!
($100 for 16 GB!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:12 pm 

I assume your refer to what you see below.

667-600=67 67/4 = 16,.....

Should I raise my clock to 166,.... then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:56 am 

Hi Kreature,

Moved to 160 after 166 seemed to crashs.

Testproject was now done in 13 min 5 s which is 2 minutes off from my best time of 15 min 04 sec which came after 5,5 and 9,5 hours.

Still I wonder about the memory, should it be on 9, 9, 9, 24 . How much will that bring compared to 7-7-7-19?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:32 am 

Ah! The world of overclocking and tweaking performance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:50 am 

Hi UK Pano,

No really, not that. I hate the geeky stuff. :-)

But running a business means that if you can get a performance gain out of your tools in a safe, easy and cheap way, you sure have to look into it.
It is not about the time you have running the famous testset of photos, it is about being able to deliver to your customer the same or higher quality with less costs. In that context it is important that I went 9,5 hours to 13 minutes on the testset. It means I can do twice the number of panoramas in the same time, which means more profit and less effort.

The things I have done are rather simple and safe and delivered great steps forward. I don't think I will do much more to the CPU at this moment, other than making sure the machine is vented enough so the CPU can keep it s multiplier high for longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:36 am 

Hans,

it is starting to sound like you will eventually be running a similar configuration as me :-)
with a three stage storage with OS and SCRATCH both on their own sets of SSD's and as you move along and realise the speed gained by raid you will also raid these - in the end TIME IS MONEY :-)

oooh, didn't see you have started to over clock too :-) ... its a jungle out there and you can quickly get your fingers burnt, go slowly and don't get greedy when OC'ing, your gains can quickly turn into days of rebuilds ( speaking from experience) but I am overclocking from 2.6 Ghz to 4.2 on my Dual Xeon's X5650. and yes, I do have to run my memory slower, in particular too because I am using ECC's

With added memory and better storage systems you will see a much smoother operation, in particular when you are running multiple apps. (Unfortunately PS is still single threaded in most tasks, biggest issue is saving)

but that is a different ketle of fish

all the best, i will be away again on work so forgive if i don't to reply so frequently

Henrik

HansKeesom wrote:
Kreature, i don't see the relation between FEMM and the thread. :-)

Meanwhile, it is amazing how quickly one gets used to having more memory. I now run one time APG and two time PTP at the same time. As a result the 60 GB is getting full and APG starts using second tempdrive which is a harddisk.

Guess the next thing to do is giving the pagefile it's own SSD...... don't expect a 9 times accelleration there.....

Last edited by tived on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:09 am 

Hi Henrik,

Time is indeed money and therefore time should be spend wisely.

The fun of doing business is to invest wisely and find creative ways to do the job with the things you have. Spending money is easy, making money is harder, making a profit the goal.

I brought my setup from running the testset in 9.5 hours to running it in 14 minutes. I did not do it for the honor and glory but because I need to be able to work fast and finish a tour before the next one cames in or needs to be photographed.
With only E140 for 16 GB RAM and E90 for a 60 GB SSD I think I choosed wisely. Regarding OC=n. I did limit myself. I did cross the line for a moment and was confronted with a machine stuck in bios-mode. Not funny. Fortunately the bios jumped back to the last know good settings.Since then I stay away from that line.

But let's put the technology to the side. What is just as important is a wise workflow, a wise method of working. I learn everyday but I think by now the workflow I have is more important then the speed of the machine I have. SSD or RAID or both, they don't matter if I use a stupid order of working. I think i can write a few pages on the subject which I might do sometime if I have the time.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:17 am 

Hans,

Wise words - Not sure about the need for glory - but each to their own. In case you are refering to me in this instance - then i build to what I need and see relavent for my needs - and yes I need more and faster, but like you I also need to justify it. Life is for most of us a compromise.

Workflow is the single most important issue but it has two components, a hardware and a logical flow on the human side of it. I will look forward to hear and learn on what you have come up with in this area as I see it as a very important one ( I hope you will find the time), one that I have touch on earlier in our hardware conversations.

All the best

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:21 pm 

Just for everyone with modest cash, looking for a way to speed up things. Last 6 months I upgraded my i7 920 with 6 GB and only harddisks to 16 GB of ram and a 60 GB SSD. That really made some jobs go from 9 hours to 24 minutes.

Having the pagefile of windows and tempdirectory of APG on the SSD helped a lot. Still I found often APG was only running at 12 % CPU and harddisk I/O was not getting over 120 MB/S

Yesterday I installed an extra SSD of 120 GB on which I can place all sourcefiles of the project I work on at that moment. Pagefile is still on the 60 GB, but tempdirectory of APG is on the new drive......
Now it seems the CPU is high much longer and when it is low, it is not at 12 but more like 30 % and I/O is then often above 120 MB/s sometimes even peeking at 1400 MB/S.

But the best for last, while working so hard, the machine is almost silence, hardly any harddisk rattling. I still need to do some timing, but already it is clear the second SSD is making me very happy ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:35 pm 

Hi Hans,
It looks like you are slowly coming around to what I have been preaching
All along :-)
Good news though

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:09 am 

By any chance do you know about a tool that allows to setup or configure the HDD size to test? i.e. AS SSD tool shows results for 4kb and between 4-64kb blocks Hw32_391 does not show the size of the block tested), and in my case the results are really poor due my raid configuration is way different to those parameters...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:03 am 

the PTGui Pano test also has an Autopano file which you can use to test your system with and then email it to the site owner, Bernard.
http://hdview.at/speedtest/index.html you can then compare how you fared against everyone else who submitted and also the batch render in APP/APG shows the timing of making the pano.

You may want to check your raid first and also if its not a hardware raid you will see a CPU penalty - my advise to you regarding your raid card is to set the card to default, unless you really know what to do. This will most likely get you the best performance from your RAID. Otherwise add faster drives expand the number of drives go from HDD's to SSD's

all the best and let us know how you fare

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:32 pm 

Hi Henrik,

Tried the new test but somehow it gives an error when trying to generate a psd file. Tiff however was ready in 10:45 which is twice as fast as the 24 minutes I used to get. So a simple 120 GB SSD cut time in half it seems. That is good enough news for me.

No I am not used RAID. Problably I can cut times in half again using it and as it is problably already on my motherboard it is there for free. But the SSD's I have are not equal so no striping possible so I don't think I will go there.
In future might consider replacing one of the two HDD with a SSD so the temp directory of APG can have it's own SSD instead of being together with sourcefiles. but for the moment I am rather happy with what I have done.

As CPu is running above 90% most of time while running APG I think that there is where the bottleneck is at the moment. Already noticed that the cpu is not hitting it's max multiplier at the moment because temp hitting the max I gave it, which is 90 degrees. Maybe I should close the case of the computer to get better airflow.........it is open since placing the SSD :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:02 pm 

90C ouch. i would consider better cooling, Hans. I get worried when my CPU's hit 50-60C :-) and I am only air-cooled with a pair of Corsair A-70 middle of the range air-coolers

its good to see that you are progressing in the time its taking to do the panos, that the investment is paying off - maybe you can get off your coffee addiction now ;-) or at least half it ;-)

RAID disks do not have to be tthe same size to work together, but you are only able to use the smallest size, its also best of have matching disks/ssd's of the same generation/model and size as you point out, in the optimum situation.

You are probably right in that you have buildin RAID on the mainboard, but its a hard soft-raid :-) as it is not a true hardware raid

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:10 pm 

using realtemp the original limit was 100 degrees as set by intel. So I am not to worried.
I did however lower it to 80 degrees, later 90 degrees.
Cooling, yes, as a mean to get higher multiplier, not so much a lower temp :-) O well, there was a time where I was stuck at multiplier 12, so it is good already it goes around 16 now.

I guess I will go RAID with something like a PCI - SSD card.... once the CPU is no longer the (new) bottleneck :-)

Last edited by HansKeesom on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:08 pm 

Hehe.. SSD is fun!

Edit: My pictures dissappear?
Here's an url!

Last edited by KreAture on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 pm 

With large panos you cannot get enough speed.
but 1700MB/sec read helps a lot :)

leifs

Last edited by leifs on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next