Gopro omni optimal settings   [SOLVED] - View the solution

Have a problem using the GoPro Omni Importer? Have you encountered a bug that needs fixing? Please post it here.
Des difficultés à utiliser le GoPro Omni Importer ? Avez-vous découvert un bug qui doit être fixé ? Postez les ici.
no avatar
drakenberg

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Gopro omni optimal settings

by drakenberg » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I just got my omni, and i like it, however, gopro sucks when it comes to letting us know how to use it properly.

What settings are optimal to use with the rig?

Or are there different settings for different situations, except iso and color.

Should i use smooth, med or high sharpness.

And more importantly, in autopano video pro, what settings are optimal for good results, i get a good stitch for the surroundings, but stuff that moves get ghosting, i try to keep objects outside the 2 meter limit.

With my previous rig, using horizontal stitching was better, is it still the same with the omni, it would be nice if it worked in a straight orientation, since the 45 degree angle makes the tripod A LOT more visible in the final stitch.

Is there some sort of guide on all this? i've just done trial and error mainly, but i really want to get good results everytime, and not chance like i do now.

best and thanks a lot!

LoicB
Kolor Team

Liked in: 8 posts
Info

Re: Gopro omni optimal settings  [SOLVED]

by LoicB » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi,

we are working on a full video tutorial right now, and the first parts of it will be uploaded and available very soon (next few days).
In the meantime, anything that was true with a freedom 360 rig for exemple, is still true with an Omni.
As recommended in the documentation : http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... umentation
we tend to prefer having an image that is as raw as possible out of the cameras to have more flexibility in post-production :
Native WB, low sharpness, flat colors.
Iso is scene dependant.
Settings (res and fps) are scene dependant : high action on a sunny day -> 960 / 120 ; scenic shot or need for an 8K final output -> 2.7K 4:3 / 30 ; etc

Regarding work in post, smooth will create ghosting issues, sharp will create stitch line issues. A square position with horizontal and vertical stitch lines will be easier to work with but will make the nadir patching more problematic, etc... It's a game of compromises, choices and hard work. To give you an idea, almost all the shots in high quality videos produced by any high end VR production company will be a composite of multiple stitches, both in smooth and sharp (a stitch focused on the foreground, another on the mid-ground, another on the background, all of them in both smooth and sharp, plus sometimes stitch focused on individual elements rotoscoped and animated with after effects).

Sadly there is no simple answer / miracle solution but it can rely on practice and knowledge rather than chance once you have done it often enough. It does get easier !

Hope this helps
Loïc