Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm 

hi all,

dipping my toe in Autopano Tour, as a staunch Pano2VR user (!). How much of this tour can be easily recreated in current version of Autopano Tour?:

http://www.360imagery.co.uk/VT/nurton/colmoresquare/start.html

I am very comfortable with my level of ability in Pano2VR and can quickly create a tour like this for commercial property clients in about an hour from Ps templates. Changing elements in the Pano2VR Skin Editor is very easy (once you know your way around it). Before I start a steep learning curve on APT, can the above VT (or any on my website, for that matter) be recreated as easily / quickly in APT with all the interactivity?

cheers

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:31 pm 

stalwart wrote:
Before I start a steep learning curve on APT, can the above VT (or any on my website, for that matter) be recreated as easily / quickly in APT with all the interactivity?

cheers

Stu

Stu,

The short answer is 'no'. The longer answer is you cannot recreate all that interactivity using APT without some hand editing/additional coding of the XML.

But APT does not have a steep learning curve.

Last edited by mediavets on Tue May 11, 2010 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:49 pm 

mediavets wrote:
stalwart wrote:
Before I start a steep learning curve on APT, can the above VT (or any on my website, for that matter) be recreated as easily / quickly in APT with all the interactivity?

cheers

Stu

Stu,

The short answer is 'no'. The longer answer is you cannot recreate all that intercativity using APT without some hand editing/additional coding of the XML.

But APT does not have a steep learning curve.

Hi Andy,

I assume then that this amount of interactivity can be acheived, but only with hand-coding the XML file? This I suspect would take considerably longer than using Pano2VR Skin Editor. And time to me is precious as my commercial clients don't dig that deep into their pockets (well, to put it a better way, my immediate competitors charge way too little for similar VT's they create in Pano2VR!).

The reason I am looking seriously at APT / KR Pano is the support & development of this very powerful app. Thomas is very good at updating Pano2VR, and the forum support is excellent, but, like others, I like the features of KR Pano / APT such as Google maps, multi-res, etc, and would prefer to use one app, not spread across 2 or 3. I even considered (and own licences for) FPP & FCC, but the support from Denis for FPP makes me think APT has overtaken on its ability, and is more 'future proof'.....

I suppose I could commission someone here to create me a 'master' XML file that I can tweak the necessary parts to, but even with that 'leg up', I suspect it will take longer than the Pano2VR Skin Editor to amend and bespoke each of my tours. Phil Warner on here kindly designed my KR Pano multires skin (http://www.360imagery.co.uk/VT/aerial/jubilee/index.html) and I've managed to tweak this a little with borders, lens flare, building outlines, etc - but all very basic! And I know he has successfully 'jumped ship' from Pano2VR.

I know the Color Team are constantly updating and adding to APT, and I wonder how long I would have to wait until they add all the similar features to APT that Pano2VR Skin Editor has....that would be a deciding factor to me.

cheers

Stu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 am 

Hello stalwart,
I wouldn't say such a definitive 'no' as mediavets did.
Most of the features you ask for are already there in APT (I consider latest beta versions), and easy to add from the user interface :
-map
-logo
-nadir patch
-HTML info/contact pop-up (with links, pictures and so on)
-thumbnail
You can also make your own personal menu (including graphics) using our system of templates. This include the border which can be added to the menu template.

And we plan to integrate shortly the ability to insert an intro image like you did.

The only thing is that if you want further personnalisation you will have to dig into the xml code until we reach the full krpano UI.

I think the most part of what you did could be stored in a template you can reintegrate into APT. So where you would have a learning time with other software, you would have to make your own template and use it in all visits with APT then.

The graphic menu editor you ask for is already planned.

We aim at a full and easily understandable krpano graphic user interface for non-coders. This is lot of work considering all the features provided by krpano, but many of our customers could tell you we are reactive on those topics and very open to users comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:27 am 

Stu,

I may have 'interpreted' your enquiry too literally?

You asked:
"Before I start a steep learning curve on APT, can the above VT (or any on my website, for that matter) be recreated as easily / quickly in APT with all the interactivity?"

And my initial answer was 'no'. Adrien seems to feel that response was too bluntly negative.

So I'll expand on my initial response.

I believe you are correct in thinking that krpano is the most advanced and most rapaidly evolving Flash Panorama Viewer/Player.

And APT is for now the only show in town when it comes to a GUI front-end/XML generator for krpano, and I believe it will become the definitive VT authoring tool for krpano, but as Adrien confirms it has some way to go yet.

So, for example, I agree with Adrien that APT offers a thumbnail feature; but it's also true to say that the current APT thumbnail feature cannot emulate/reproduce the impressive graphical effects of the thumbnails in the example VT which you created with Pano2VR; at least not without considerable further editing/hand-coding of the XML.

Likewise, there's no easy way I can think of to emulate/reproduce the different floorplans you have in your example VT using the current version of APT.

And so on...

Of course hand-coding the XML for krpano offers the ultimate flexibility and access to the very considerable power of krpano, and no GUI front-end is ever likely to be able to offer the ability to achieve via 'point-n-click' everything you could do if hand-coding.

The goal of APT - as I understand it - is to combine the features most desired by VT authors with exceptional ease of use; of course it will never satisfy everyone but it will ultimately, I hope and believe, offer 'enough' for those of us who do not wish to hand-code XML for krpano.

In my opinion, you are just the sort of innovative yet pragmatic panographer and VT author whose input would be invaluable to Kolor in the further development of APT.

Last edited by mediavets on Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:19 pm 

Adrien F wrote:
We aim at a full and easily understandable krpano graphic user interface for non-coders. This is lot of work considering all the features provided by krpano, but many of our customers could tell you we are reactive on those topics and very open to users comments.

Great!
Nevertheless let me say: even as an absolutely non-coder it´s not too complicate to do some xml editing.
Seems to be a mystery at first glance - but it´s simple in the end. Kind of LEGO system . . . :cool: but barely documented.

I´d like to add a very personal comment: i would avoid to plaster a pano over and over with ugly items . . . :cool:

best,