Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Edit html template
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:18 am 

G'day... Ages ago I made my own html-template, added it to the templates folder of APT in program files of windows and all worked sweet. Now I'm trying to do that again (APT beta 6) but am no longer allowed to save in that folder - only permitted to administrator. If I safe it somewhere else and then bring it across it shows up in APT - but if I render with that template it shows no content of the tour. Only the template in the explorer with a white content instead of the tour. Anyone ideas what might be happening here?
Cheers! Linda

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:09 am 

Quote:
but am no longer allowed to save in that folder

did it happen since an OS change?
I made the same experience after upgrading to win764bit. even with admin privs. its no longer allowed to change files under default windows program files location.
2 solutions:
1. copy your files to any non "windows owned" directory, edit it and move file back to original place, restart APT and the new changed file will be available
2. install APT in any non "windows owned" directory...

its. def. not an APT issue, its a Windows issue...

PS: if you try different editors to edit your template file under program files dir you'll see different behaviour:
1. opening with one program, edit it, save it, close it, open it again and content is gone
2. but opening content with some other programs may give you the changed content.

I tested it with Ultraedit, notepad.exe, editor.exe, word ...
APT seems to follow the windows rules and will not show the changed content...

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:50 pm 

Thanks - you're right about the OS change... I just reinstalled it somewhere else than program files and see how that goes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:11 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
Quote:
but am no longer allowed to save in that folder

did it happen since an OS change?
I made the same experience after upgrading to win764bit. even with admin privs. its no longer allowed to change files under default windows program files location.
2 solutions:
1. copy your files to any non "windows owned" directory, edit it and move file back to original place, restart APT and the new changed file will be available
2. install APT in any non "windows owned" directory...

its. def. not an APT issue, its a Windows issue...

PS: if you try different editors to edit your template file under program files dir you'll see different behaviour:
1. opening with one program, edit it, save it, close it, open it again and content is gone
2. but opening content with some other programs may give you the changed content.

I tested it with Ultraedit, notepad.exe, editor.exe, word ...
APT seems to follow the windows rules and will not show the changed content...

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Is there any way to turn off this attempt by Windows to save us from ourselves?

In the meantime did you find a program that does allow one to edit these files effectively?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:25 pm 

On windows if you right click the folder & change the attributes
uncheck "read only" to all the files & folders inside that folder, that should allow to change the file & let you save template.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:06 pm 

Quote:
In the meantime did you find a program that does allow one to edit these files effectively?

UltraEdit does it.
But thats not the problem. Windows recognizes the changes and will not display it if you open the changed file with notepade.exe editor.exe or more sadly with APT....

so after editing the file (in my case with Ultraedit), saving it; I've to move it outside the original directory and than move it back...

Quote:
uncheck "read only" to all the files & folders inside that folder, that should allow to change the file & let you save template.

sorry - no way. not on my Win7, I can set it, but without a single change still changed content will not be displayed...

so currently fastest solution: install APT inside a customized directory outside of windows system/data/program directories...

I tested this with Win732bit Ultimate logged in as admin and using admin privs on the menu filder where I changed a menutemplate....
little bit later today I can test it on win764bit Professional...

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

EDIT: on my win764bt system professional I've nno such problems.... all filechanges are working

Last edited by gkaefer on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:31 pm 

Try changing the folder owner to yourself, and setting the read only attribute to be off (for the file you want to edit and the folder containing it)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:22 pm 

For me it worked to re-install APT in a folder other than the applications folder... No problems then, could without any difficulty add and edit html-templates and they worked in APT...