Out of Memory!  

Share your tips and tricks here or get help with any Autopano Tour problem!
No bug reports (of any kind) in this forum!
no avatar
doceave

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Out of Memory!

by doceave » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:50 am

Hi there guys

I just bought the KRPano license! :) Makes most awesome yes, but my PC it appears cannot keep up.

I have a 35mb, 28000X9000pixel image I wish to make into a high res tour, but on export I get an "out of memory" error!

What memory is AutoPano Tour refering to here? RAM, HDD?

OK so I'd like to know the following:
1) Is there a "best" image format to give AutoPano Tour which uses less memory to process?
2) What sort of machine (with how much memory?) would be able needed to compile an image like this one? http://www.360pano.de/giga/kirche/index.html

3) What sort of computers are the AutoPano community running?

Many thanks guys

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:52 am

What spec does your computer have?

What OS are you using?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
doceave

Topic author
Info

by doceave » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 am

Off the top of my head... (not my personal machine)
P4 2.8 single core
4GB RAM
Enough HDD space (100GB+)
Win XP 32bit

no avatar
doceave

Topic author
Info

by doceave » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 am

Andrew Stephens
Nikon D40, Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye, Sigma 8mm f3.5 fisheye, Nikkor 18-55/50/35mm lenses, Nodal Ninja 5 Lite, Agno's Mrotator TCSshort
Nikon P5100, CP5000, CP995, FC-E8, WC-E63,WC-E68, TC-E2, Kaidan Kiwi 995, Bophoto pano bracket
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800 and Windows XP/2K

I see you have a fancy camera listed there ~~ If you're using a fisheye surely you then are capturing more image per photo and hence have a lower capture quality? (Would an entry level SLR the likes of a Canon 400D, be able to capure all the light coming in at an acceptable quality?) Just an aside question? (phrased differently ~ What MP does you camera have and would you use a fisheye for a large room panoramic?)

UK Pano

Info

by UK Pano » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:37 pm

Hey doceave,

I have been using a Canon 400D successfully for a few years now for creating both 360's and static panoramics.

For 360's I favour my Sigma 8mm FE taking just 4 around, 1 up @ 15 degrees and 2 down at 180 degree opposites. For statics I favour my 10-20mm lens, set at 20mm mostly.

My Pc is a few years old and running XP SP3, 4Gb Ram, P4 2.8ghz (I think) with separate 7,200rpm HDD for APP to use to increase performance and approx 4Tb of external storage.

Reducing the output size from 100% to 70% makes a difference I have noticed and I am sure that others here will be able to offer a wealth of useful information. Could also search the forum for "performance" as this is where I have found out about tweaking the settings for optimal performance and also about have a separate scratch disk for APP to use.
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

no avatar
Adrien F

Info

by Adrien F » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:22 pm

doceave wrote:I have a 35mb, 28000X9000pixel image I wish to make into a high res tour, but on export I get an "out of memory" error!

What memory is AutoPano Tour refering to here? RAM, HDD?

OK so I'd like to know the following:
1) Is there a "best" image format to give AutoPano Tour which uses less memory to process?
2) What sort of machine (with how much memory?) would be able needed to compile an image like this one? http://www.360pano.de/giga/kirche/index.html

Hi doceave,
Currently APT doesn't support Gigapixel images because in the way it is done now, we need to lock the whole picture into memory (related to RAM) to export. So it depends too much on your configuration.
Anyway, the picture won't be exported to its full resolution (limited to 200MPixels).
But if you check http://www.autopano.net/forum/t8277-apt-beta-dev-plan , you'll see this is our main development those days. So expect more very soon.

Right now, if you really want gigapixel and are not afraid of krpano comand line tools, there still is some tools on his website to tile pictures. Here is a possible (and not personally tested) solution:
1/export a low def version of your panorama
2/do your visit with APT and this low def, export
3/tile the Gigapixel image with krpano tools (http://www.krpano.com/tools/)
4/replace the pano node in the APT generated XMl by the one provided by krpano
Hotspot placement should not be as precise as you wish (due to low def workspace), but this may provide a good working base for some beautiful gigapixel visit.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Adrien F wrote:Right now, if you really want gigapixel and are not afraid of krpano comand line tools, there still is some tools on his website to tile pictures. Here is a possible (and not personally tested) solution:
1/export a low def version of your panorama
2/do your visit with APT and this low def, export
3/tile the Gigapixel image with krpano tools (http://www.krpano.com/tools/)
4/replace the pano node in the APT generated XMl by the one provided by krpano
Hotspot placement should not be as precise as you wish (due to low def workspace), but this may provide a good working base for some beautiful gigapixel visit.

Hi Adrien!

Could you please explain no. 3 and 4 precisely?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:45 pm

doceave wrote:Andrew Stephens
Nikon D40, Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye, Sigma 8mm f3.5 fisheye, Nikkor 18-55/50/35mm lenses, Nodal Ninja 5 Lite, Agno's Mrotator TCSshort
Nikon P5100, CP5000, CP995, FC-E8, WC-E63,WC-E68, TC-E2, Kaidan Kiwi 995, Bophoto pano bracket
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800 and Windows XP/2K

I see you have a fancy camera listed there ~~ If you're using a fisheye surely you then are capturing more image per photo and hence have a lower capture quality? (Would an entry level SLR the likes of a Canon 400D, be able to capure all the light coming in at an acceptable quality?) Just an aside question? (phrased differently ~ What MP does you camera have and would you use a fisheye for a large room panoramic?)

There's nothing 'fancy' about my Nikon D40 - is was the simplest amd cheapest of the Nikon DSLR range. And has a mere 6MP sensor.

I chose to 'invest' more on lenses that the camera body - in that the lenses will lasta while and can be used on a better body as a nd when.

The D40 was the cheapest DSLR that would enable me to produce a spherical pano with FE lens of sufficient resoilution for fullscreen display.

The Canon 400D is a 'better' camera than my D40.

Yes, I'd use a FE lens to shoot a pano of a large room. The pano resolution required all depends on how much you wish to allow the viewer to be able to zoom in on details. The more resolution you want your pano to have the higher res. a camera sensor and the longer focal length lens you require.

The downside of producing high res. panos - as you have discovered - is that you need signifiicant computer power - and a lot of patience! - to handle the processing of all that image data.

If you are shooting high res. panos that comprise many tens or hundreds of images you really need a motorised robotic pano head too, like the low cost Merlin+Papywizard system, if you wish to retain your sanity.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.