Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:51 pm 

Hi,

One thing I have always wondered is - what is the best size for the original panorama file (to use as your BASE), when creating a virtual tour? I see different threads here which address it somewhat (http://www.autopano.net/forum/t8398-just-starting-to-explore-apt-newbie-question-blush) but I see little documentation in the wikis and how-to's. I keep having crash issues (And have posted already in BUGS regarding this), so I want to make sure I am starting with good sizes to begin with.

My panoramas are on average 15,000 wide max pixels. I save them as JPEGS (highest quality 12) for importing to Autopano Tour Beta 11. Should one import at the SAME size as the original?

When outputting as TOUR, I always have the following (seems to be default)

Max Preview size: 800
JPEG quality 10

and they tend to be output like so, which equal about 20 Mb uncompressed, 2-3 Mb compressed

(5270 x 1348 pixels)
(4027 x 1764 pixels)

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I wish I didn't have to post or spend hours searching the forums for answers. Ahh, I long for the days when information actually existed in well-written, thorough MANUALS (online of course)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:21 pm 

Hi Swoody (that´s your name? ;):cool:)

Try "Cubeface size" automatically generated and use "cutting size" 512.

Ii usually make 10000x5000px equirectangular images - APT generates a cubeface size of 3184 and i set 512 für cutting size.
This works very well.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:50 pm 

klausesser wrote:
Hi Swoody (that´s your name? ;):cool:)

Try "Cubeface size" automatically generated and use "cutting size" 512.

Ii usually make 10000x5000px equirectangular images - APT generates a cubeface size of 3184 and i set 512 für cutting size.
This works very well.

best, Klaus

as influenced by the "cutting size" 512 VS "Cutting size 1200".
In the download? is faster
or visualization?
thanks Klaus

Last edited by f7 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:00 pm 

Hi Klaus - thank you!! No, swoody just nickname. Thanks! Sara ;)

Ooh dear, now I am terribly confused, however. In the Beta 11 Tour app, I see nothing about being able to choose cubeface size (?).

I also am not able to change anything in my "cutting size" - it is grayed out (I have full license, BTW - so that should not be a variable), nor do I see any reference to "Equirectangular", only Spherical or Planar (??)

Are these settings one uses when FIRST creating your panorama, in AutoPanoGiga, perhaps? If so, unfortunately it does not help me now, as i have no time or desire to recreate all these panos.

Yes, clearly I am a newbie, so please forgive any ignorant questions.....

:) Sara

Last edited by Swoody on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:13 pm 

Your setting is for a "flat" pano!
Use the spherical projection - then you can set cubeface- and cutting-size ;):cool:

best, Klaus

besides: the equirectangular image you use as a pano ALWAYS has to be 2:1! That means 15000x7500px.
Otherwise it will be distorted.

Last edited by klausesser on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:33 pm 

Swoody wrote:
Hi Klaus - thank you!! No, swoody just nickname. Thanks! Sara ;)

Ooh dear, now I am terribly confused, however. In the Beta 11 Tour app, I see nothing about being able to choose cubeface size (?).

I also am not able to change anything in my "cutting size" - it is grayed out (I have full license, BTW - so that should not be a variable), nor do I see any reference to "Equirectangular", only Spherical or Planar (??)

Are these settings one uses when FIRST creating your panorama, in AutoPanoGiga, perhaps? If so, unfortunately it does not help me now, as i have no time or desire to recreate all these panos.

Yes, clearly I am a newbie, so please forgive any ignorant questions.....

:) Sara

The Panorama properties/Pictures parameters dialogues are different for 360x180 and partial panos.

Autopano Tour (APT) and Panotour/Panotour Pro (PT and PTP) can accept and handle images with two types of image projection as input - spherical and planar. You will no doubt have seen these as projection options in APP/APG.

Stitched pano images can have different pano fields of view (FOV) the largest pano FOV is of course 360x180 which using a spherical projection produces an equirectangular image with an aspect ratio of 2:1.

A pano with a FOV of less than 360x180 is termed a partial pano.

For most stitched panos the spherical projection will be most appropriate.

By default APP/APG automatically limits the stitched pano image to a FOV for which there is image data, but you can force the pano to 360x180 regardless of whether there is image data to cover the entire 360x180 pano FOV; areas for which there is no image data will appear black in the rendered pano. If you import this sort of 360x180 spherical projection pano into APT/PT/PTP you can use the 'crop' tool to restrict the area of the pano that the user can view so that users will not see the black areas. So it may be simplest in many cases to force the pano FOV to 360x180 and then 'crop' to the area that users can view in APT/PT/PTP when constructing your virtual tour.

However if you choose to render a partial pano such that it has a pano FOV of less than 360x180 then you will have to 'tell' APT/PT/PTP what the pano vertical FOV and horizontal FOV are, and what the vertical offset is.

IF you have created your partial pano witha pano FOV of less than 360x180 using APP/APG then those programs will add a Kolor User Comment EXIF tag in those image formats that support EXIF which describes the pano including the vertical FOV, horizontal FOV and vertical offset. This data will be read by APT/PT/PTP to set the appropriate values in Panorama properties/Data field of view automatically in APT/PT/PTP.

BUT if you process your stitched pano with an image editor between rendering and using it as input for APT/PT/PTP then there's a good chance that the Kolor User Comment tag will be stripped from the EXIF by your image editing software; in this case you will have to enter values manually in APT/PT/PTP in Panorama properties/Data field of view to ensure that your partial pano is displayed correctly when viewing your virtual tour.

If APT/PT/PTP do not find the Kolor User Comment EXIF tag data then the program will display a yellow triangle warning symbol on the bottom right corner of the input pano image, and either set the pano horizontal FOV to 360 or set the vertical pano FOV to 180, and scale the other dimension according to the aspect rato of the pano image. These values will of course be incorrect and require manual overide, but you need only set one accurately as the other can/will be calculated by the software.

This may sound complicated but it's actually far more simple than it sounds - just 'play' with some different sorts of pano image and APT/PT/PTP and you will soon grasp it.

Last edited by mediavets on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:43 pm 

Thank you all for your help!! This really is great information - I am most appreciative! :)