AutopanoPro isn´t faster with 64bit on 21.5" iMac?  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
marijonas

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

AutopanoPro isn´t faster with 64bit on 21.5" iMac?

by marijonas » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Hello,

I´ve a 21.5" iMac Core 2 Duo 3,06GHz using AutopanoPro 2.0.9.

Testing stitching time with 64 bit kernel against 32 bit kernel makes no difference?!

I changed the kernel setting with following tool:

http://ahatfullowsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

and tested stitching time with the picture files from speedtest:

http://www.vrpix.ch/computer/software/benchmark-ptgui-autopano-gigapixel-panorama-speedtest/

Check it out. There is also an english site but I couldn´t copy the link. Maybe it depends on were your computer is connected, wich site comes first. I don´t know.

Richard

BTW: My iMac takes 45 minutes to stick this gigapixel pano with AutopanoPro V2.0.9

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:42 pm

How much RAM do you have?

no avatar
marijonas

Topic author
Info

by marijonas » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:15 pm

hankkarl wrote:How much RAM do you have?

4GB RAM only?

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:19 am

Moving this to the Hardware forum.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:35 am

marijonas wrote:Hello,

I´ve a 21.5" iMac Core 2 Duo 3,06GHz using AutopanoPro 2.0.9.

Testing stitching time with 64 bit kernel against 32 bit kernel makes no difference?!

I changed the kernel setting with following tool:

http://ahatfullowsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

and tested stitching time with the picture files from speedtest:

http://www.vrpix.ch/computer/software/benchmark-ptgui-autopano-gigapixel-panorama-speedtest/

Check it out. There is also an english site but I couldn´t copy the link. Maybe it depends on were your computer is connected, wich site comes first. I don´t know.

Richard

BTW: My iMac takes 45 minutes to stick this gigapixel pano with AutopanoPro V2.0.9

There´s no measurable difference in speed between 32 and 64 bit kernel setting. The iMac´s speed is limited much by it´s disk performance. Use a fast external disk via FW800 - ideally a raid0.
Preferable have a fast internal disk with the OS and the applications and a very fast external for temp (but USB wouldn´t make much sense here . . :cool: - but even this is better than just one internal)
That speeds up any app much better than the difference between 32 and 64 bit kernel.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:32 pm

On my system, APG will use all the memory and all the cores for most of the stitching process.

I think the issue is that 4GB is the memory limit--take away a GB for OS, and other stuff that lives on a computer, and the 64 bit OS may be slower.

Both 32 and 64 bit memory widths can access 4GB (Windows has a 2 or 3 GB limit depending on how you set it). Don't know about Macs.

So the only thing a 64 bit OS does is make the addresses 32 bits longer. This may mean you have to read 4 more octets for each memory access, so a 64 bit OS may be a bit slower than the 32 bit version when you have only 4GB.

If you add memory, your system may run faster because it won't have to swap to disk as much.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:41 am

It depends on which version of autopano you are talking about. With the new engine ( 2.5 series ), the speed is around 70% faster on 64bits compared to 32bits.

Man Garnier

Info

by Man Garnier » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm about to test a Linux build to improve on my iMac 27" performamce (12Gig Ram). Unfortunately, I see there is no linux version of the beta 2.5 version which is apparently 5x as fast as the version I'm using on the Mac (2.09). I found that rendering with the mac using Smartblend produced an error 80 or 90% through the process.

The new machine is specially put together to speed the process along (takes 8 or so hours for some tests I have carried out) and therefore I'm hoping to reduce this to less than an hour. Using the new 2.5 beta would seem to do this just by itself. Although the new machine is not top of the range it still has a fast motherboard, pretty fast graphics card and 16 Gig RAM. I've used the 2TB WD 7200/64 hard disc and a 90Gig SSD OSZ for the system and Autopano Giga software. I have connected 2 300Gig WD Velociraptors. Finding out about what to use was a little difficult as everyone has their own priorities. My thoughts were to utilise some good hardware without spending a complete fortune and go with systems that have proven to work (in the not too distant past). I have no access to fast 'borrowed' systems for processing and therefore wishing to preserve some integrity to upgrade in the future have rigged up a system which should give speed as well as an ability not to 'fall over' or produce unexpected errors when using Smartblendand.

This morning when I opened Autopano Giga I was given the opportunity to upgrade this with a fix for the 'hanging' problem when using Smartblend whilst rendering. I wonder if all my work with new equipment and the expense has been rather unneccessary?! Relatively new users like myself are not always aware of the finer points of AutoPano processing. Perhaps there should be some automated eMail system to remind us that certain updates are in process and what they might be?

I was hoping to use Linux which I have loaded now and testing the trial version of Autopano Giga. My short question is - does anyone have an idea when the 64 bit version will be made available? If it's a week to 10 days I can wait - otherwise I may have to load Windows (OH PLEASE NO!!!). Of course - I have heard of Hackintosh but has any other AutoPano user had experience of this - or admit to it?

BTW - I believe the system I've built could be the most cost effective and one of the better solutions for running AutoPano Giga - using reliable and well reviewed components.
We sometimes just need to realize that each one has his/her own world/mind and they don't live inside ours ;)
It depends on where each one is right now. From time to time we may meet and share part of the trip.

Man Garnier

Info

by Man Garnier » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 pm

I omitted my other query which I have not solved yet. What method should I use to configure the system so that I take ful advantage of the two 300gig Velociraptors, the faster 2TB WD Black and the 16Gig RAM. I prefer to be using Linux Isodora 64 bit but in the absence of this (unless produced as a 64 bit version) I will use the 32 bit version.

However, is there anyone who can point me in the right direction with regard to the above 'correct' configuration. I'm using the machine exclusively for Gigapans/AutoPano so it can be set-up to obtain max performance for this solely. I'm aware it's a bit of a luxury but not as extreme as some productions I've read about. Thanks for reading this and if you can help (even if to refer me to a forum where it's already explained) please reply. I have been a bit lazy in Googling & searching various forums and thought this may be my best option - and additionally give some absolute beginners a little bit more appreciation of what they are getting into - a bit more info than I had when first purchasing AutoPano.
We sometimes just need to realize that each one has his/her own world/mind and they don't live inside ours ;)
It depends on where each one is right now. From time to time we may meet and share part of the trip.