Help with choosing computer system  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
RVK

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Help with choosing computer system

by RVK » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:34 am

Dear forum members.

When I read all the information about hardware I must confess that I do not understand a word of it.
As I am a photographer and a machine designer, computers are just a tool for me.

Choosing a computer system for me is ask my shop and trust that they help me with the best equipment for an affordable price.

But who guaranty me that they don’t sell what they want to get rid of, and that they understand the needs of a stitcher.

Now on this forum there are people who stitch and know something of computers so maybe here is the truth available.

I always assembly computers but as the firm where I buy has 200 housings, 200 motherboards, 100 processors, etc I still completely are depending on a salesman.
(I worked as a salesman for many years so I know what the value is of this advice, at least is doubtful.)

So I now got an idée that maybe there is help on this forum.

I saw that forum member BO also assembly’s computers and therefore I would ask him a favour to help me out.

www.informatique.nl/pcopmaat

This is the address of my computer firm, and well the page where you choose your components. By ticking the components that you want you get the price and total price (sorry is in Dutch but I am sure that you understand the system)

I would be very thankful if you could advice me (and maybe more forum members) and give some directions what you would buy.

My goal is a Window based system (necessary for AutoCAD) of approx, Euro 1500, = without monitor, keyboard etc. just the computer.

I hope you can help me and would like to thank you in advance

RVK

[bo]

Info

by [bo] » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:44 am

I really don't have time now, as the holidays approach. Why don't you look at this topic and just replicate the components in that online configurator system?

Basically you need a Core i7, X58 chipset motherboard, 12 or 24 GIGs of RAM (6 slots x 2GB or x4GB for tripple channel memory), nVidia GTX 220/250/260, Intel X25-M for the OS and whatever other storage HDD you might need, according to the data you have, WD Black 1TB/2TB being a nice option. That should fit somewhere under 1500-1600 Euro, I hope.
Some of my panoramas, posted in the Autopano Pro flickr group.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:06 pm

I'd add to Bo's advice: Keep your C: disk just for windows and programs so if you have to reformat you don't lose much data. For this reason, I chose a 300GB 10,000 RPM Velociraptor. And I suggest a minimum of two other disks (both WD Black 1 or 2 TB), put the windows swap file on one and the APP temp directory on the other.

And if you get a good discount, use SAS instead of SATA.

no avatar
RVK

Topic author
Info

by RVK » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:11 pm

Hallo Bo

I understand that maybe I ask a little bit to much but thank anyway for your list, it was very helpful.
Unfortunately the information in the item you mentioned is to complicated for me but your help was sufficient

I went to the store and got the following offer.

Intel core I7 920 2,66 Ghz
MSI x58 platinium
2 x Corsair I7 6Gb (3x2) 1600 mHz
WD Veloraptor 300 Gb
2x WD caviar black 1 Gb
DVD Samsung
Asus ENGT 220 1 gB
Antec housing

Complete assemblied for Eur 1400,=

Opties

Corsair XI128 , 128 gB SSD i.s.o. Raptor , overprice EUR 215,=

Extra memory is relatively very expensive, overprice for 24 gB Kingston 1600 mHz i.s.o. 12 gB is approx. Eur 1700,=

I prefer to spend that money on a good monitor, I now can get for around Eur 1000/1200,= a La Cie A-RGB monitor incl calibration.

So I now know thanks to your help a little bit more of computers. As I said before for me, a computer is just a tool that I (unfortunately) have to buy. As a photographer I prefer to spend money on good lenses.

RVK