Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Samyang
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:46 pm 

I just got the Samyang 8 mm fisheye lens and already shaved it, which was a rather easy task to accomplish because the front lens is easy to unscrew. The lens really becomes a fisheye for full format DSLR's once you got rid of the lenshood. The lens works well with may D700. The only thing I wanted to ask, in case somebody already has experience with this lens, is if you have noted the fact, too that the hyperfocal setting is reached already if you set the lens at approx. 1,8 meters. In fact if I set the lens at infinity the focus indicator in the D700 tells me to turn the ring back. I have checked it under live view as well, but when the lens is focused correctly it is set at about 1,8 meters. The pictures show the shaved Samyang lens and the modified lens cap. I got the lens from www-foto-tip.pl out of an ebay auction. They were shipping the lens ultra fast via UPS.

Last edited by spherorama on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:39 am 

spherorama wrote:
I just got the Samyang 8 mm fisheye lens and already shaved it, which was a rather easy task to accomplish because the front lens is easy to unscrew. The lens really becomes a fisheye for full format DSLR's once you got rid of the lenshood. The lens works well with may D700. The only thing I wanted to ask, in case somebody already has experience with this lens, is if you have noted the fact, too that the hyperfocal setting is reached already if you set the lens at approx. 1,8 meters. In fact if I set the lens at infinity the focus indicator in the D700 tells me to turn the ring back. I have checked it under live view as well, but when the lens is focused correctly it is set at about 1,8 meters. The pictures show the shaved Samyang lens and the modified lens cap. I got the lens from www-foto-tip.pl out of an ebay auction. They were shipping the lens ultra fast via UPS.

Hi spherorama, you mean that you were able to physically unscrew the from lens! I am interested that the hyperfocal setting is achievable at 1.8 heh suppose its best to superglue that setting... can you please tell us how you shaved the lens hood and how you extended/modified the lens cap please.

Best
Gordon

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

Last edited by Gordon on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:59 am 

Hi Gordon,

if you look at the pic I posted, watch the two yellow arrows. You'll note two tiny holes. I took a pair of bigger normal household scissors and carefully inserted each tip of the scissor's blades into those holes. Make sure that you firmly press the tips of the blades in place and slowly start turning the scissors counterclockwise. My front-lens came off easy. Make sure that the scissors stay in place. I wore white cotton gloves, the ones trumpeters wear to avoid fingerprints on their instruments. Once the front-lens is off I took Kleenex tissue and stuffed it into the open barrel of the lens, to make sure to keep and debris from entering into the lens. Now came the critical part. I had to cut the lens-hood. I have a toolset we call Dremel over here in Germany. It is an electric drill that makes up to 8000 rpm. At this drill I attached the flexible axle and mounted a round saw-blade. I made a test cut and saw that the blade was turning too fast, because the plastic started melting due to the heat building up. I reduced the speed of the blade. After that I took some adhesive tape and wrapped it around the lens-hood to have a guide line where to cut. After that I cut the lens-hood along that imaginary line. Once that was done I took a big sheet of sand-paper and placed the remaining part of the lens-hood on it and with circular movements smoothed out the cut. I started with a stronger grain on the paper, the quality you would use for wood and for the final touch i used an ultra fine sandpaper. Once I finished I took some compressed air out of a can, the device you use to clean your camera, and blew the dust off the lens. I removed the Kleenex tissue from inside the barrel an gave the inside an extra cleaning. In the final step i screwed the front-lens back into place. That's all. The work took roughly about 90 minutes. The modification of the lens-cap was easier than I thought. I found a matching plastic cup. I cut the upper part and glued it with the Pattex hot glue gun to the original lens-cap

I hope this answers your question.

PS.: I attach two sample shots made with the Samyang. I included a crop of the outer region as well.

Last edited by spherorama on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:24 am 

Pretty clever fellow you are. Glad it worked for you. Did you set it up in your D700 as "non Cpu lens"?
I just got my Samyang today. It seems to be very well made lens. The question about this lens I have is, that focal length designation varies depending on brand. Which designation is correct? What would you input for this lens in APP?
When I get FX camera I'll shave it also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:46 am 

Thanks spherorama, for the detailed and clear explanation, you make it sound easy ;) very brave of you to experiment with your new lens. Looking forward to seeing your test panos I like the idea of using a plastic cup as an extension of the Lens Hood, looks like a pro job :)

Best
Gordon

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:05 am 

Adam you are correct. I set the lens as a non cpu lens in the D700 setup. So the information for the lens is included in the EXIF, which is important for APP. All I do now is to crop the outer region by adjusting the circle in the APP setup. In the next days after X-MAS I plan to do some more test-shots to get the best workflow. To answer your question about the setup for the D300 I#d suggest to give it a try with 12mm for the focal length leave the aperture of 3.5 untouched. I can try to figure it out for you by using may Fuji S5 which is bases on a Nikon D200.

Gordon, thanks for the compliment. I would have been more hesitant in my decision if the lens cost more than the 200 or so Euro. I'll see if I can post some more sample shots in the days to come. I have several experiments planned over the holidays. I also bought an adapter to fit some of may Zeiss Hasselblad lenses on my Nikon D700. As the sensor uses only the central part of the lens I think I'll get super-sharp almost distortion-free shots. I plan to use the 80mm Planar first and then the 150mm Sumicron.

All the best for now

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:08 pm 

I would be interested to know more about lens adapter for Zeiss lenses to fit Nikon. I have three lenses from my Contax RTS and want to know, if I could use them on my Nikons.
Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:18 pm 

Adam, have a look here: http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Lens-Mount-Adapter:::197.html Maybe they can help you. I ordered my adapter from them.

Merry Christmas

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:41 pm 

Thank you! I'll check with them after Holidays. BTW everybody have a good Holidays!
Taken with Samyang 3 images pano. Why is it so bowed? Am I doing something wring?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:15 am 

Hi Adam,

looks better than the other pano you posted of the same subject. Did you use planar projection? Which setup did you use for your Samyang? I'll do a similar shot, placing the camera at a similar setup like you did. How far were you away from the main entrance of your Univrsity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:42 am 

I didn't think that it is better, but I'll take your compliment. Myself, I like linear projection, but this is equilinear. The linear projection looks bad.
I stood only about 20 feet away from entrance. BTW it is Jewish Center, where I go to swim and workout. Look at the flags on the left.
SAMYANG is more than I expected for the money anyway. I may see, if they make macro lenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:02 am 

Adam wrote:
Thank you! I'll check with them after Holidays. BTW everybody have a good Holidays!
Taken with Samyang 3 images pano. Why is it so bowed? Am I doing something wring?

What is the FOV, horizontally and vertically, of your pano?

If you consider the FOV then I think this will help to explain why your pano looks as it does?:
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/Understanding_Projecting_Modes

Merlin/Orion robotic pano head + Papywizard on Nokia 770/N800/N810 and Windows 8/XP/2K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:07 pm 

Hello,

Will you kindly share a setup for the 8mm samyang fisheye which I plan to buy some day. I have canon eos50d (not full frame), a panusaurus panohead and manfrotto tripod, currently using 12-24 sigma at 12mm, i use to capture 9x2 rows + 1 nadir and 1 zenith = total of 20 images. With 8mm samyang fisheye, will it be 4 to 5 horizontal (level) captures + 1 zenith and 1 nadir for a total of 6 to 7 images, (camera in portrait position). One difficulty in my 12mm captures is too many stitches and APG CP editor is not very accurate specially in tight space with many lines like toilet with tiles. Thank you very much and best regards.

Manuel

Canon EOS20d, 50d, sigma 12-24, samyang 8mm FE, 4GB ram, 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro 13.3 Snow 10.6.8, Panosaurus, Nodal Ninja NN3II, AutopanoGiga+PTP, KRPano Unlimited, Photomatix4, onOne PhototoolsPro 2.6 and Perfect Resize 7, Noiseware Pro, Topaz Suite, PS CS5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:50 pm 

Hi Folks,

I'm still on my Christmas vacation Today was a very nice cold and sunny day in Tuscany. So I thought it was good to further test the shaved Samyang. I went to the Abby of Sant' Antimo, which is about 45 km#s south of Siena. I took this pano inside the Church. 4 shots without the nadir shot. I'll report detailed on the Samyang in the next days, as I have to check some things on the focus of this lens. But I think the result looks promising.

All the best and Happy New Year to All

Andy

Last edited by spherorama on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:48 pm 

Do not use sissors to unscrew the lens front element.
Bend out a paperclip. This will reach both ends and fit into the hole just perfect.

Steve

Canon 5D Mk II, Samyang 8mm, EF 16-35mm f/2.8, Nodal Ninja 5, Agnos Mrotator Panorama, Gigapan Pro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm 

I wouldn't use scissors ether. I was thinking to make a tool using long nails and piece of wood, but paper clip sounds good.
Anyway, would I benefit shaving this lens and use it on DX camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:49 pm 

Adam wrote:
Anyway, would I benefit shaving this lens and use it on DX camera?

No, don't shave your Samyang for DX ! It's only interresting for FX...

Tobias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:15 pm 

Using scissors is the quickest way. The front lens comes off easy. You only have to be sure to press the tips of the scissors blades firmly into those holes. But the process might be not necessary at all because I emailed Samyang suggesting to sell the lens without a lenshood. I'll keep you informed What Tobias said is correct. You to shave the Samyang only if you plan to use it on a full frame DSLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:16 am 

Did anyone read this review on Samyang?
What do you think about author's suggestion to adjust focus ring?

http://www.versacorp.com/vlink/jcreview/sy8rv9jc.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:02 pm 

Adam,
thanks for posting this link. I didn't know this test. What the author says is 100% true. My focus scale is nit adjusted properly. But I can live with it. Having known this article before could have made my work, shaving the Samyang easier. I think about to adjust the focus ring, however with a camera capable of live view I think I can live without adjusting it.

All the best
Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 pm 

How can you tell that you lens needs focus adjustment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:44 pm 

Adam,
I think you have to take a few test shots as Jeffrey pointed out in his review. I'd suggest take one shot with the lens focused at infinity and another shot with the lens focused at an object at about 3 meters away. Inspect the resulting Pictures on your computer and you'll see if your Samyang needs fine tuning. But you can also use the live view option of your D300. Jeffrey R. Charles is a really smart guy. I studied his review and he really mad it clear for me why the Samyang is a very special lens. His site http://www.versacorp.com/ is really worth exploring.

All the best

Andy

Last edited by spherorama on Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:19 am 

I think I know why he used his old Nikon F and FN for his tests. I'll try my 90s and 8008 tomorrow. They have better focus screens than D300 or D70. So far I think that no further focus is needed after .7m/2.5 ft all is in focus.
I may also write to Jeffrey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:52 pm 

Here is shot with Samyang set F between 5.6 and 8, focused to .6 meter. Do you guys think that everything is sharp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:14 pm 

Here is hand held 6 images pano taken with Samyang. What do you think?
Do you think that it is possible to do 4 around in portrait mode with this lens?