recommended laptop for panography on linux  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
DrSlony

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

recommended laptop for panography on linux

by DrSlony » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:38 pm

Hey

I'm looking into getting a powerful laptop for mobile photo and panorama editing. I would like it to use an nVidia GPU and be at least a dual core with at least 4GB RAM with the possibility of upgrading it to 8GB. My problem is in finding a laptop where Windows is not included. I don't want to pay for something I'll delete as quickly as I can :] If you can recommend any linux-friendly laptop that meets those specs, please do. In case finding one without any M$ software preinstalled is impossible, but you do know of a model that is powerful and linux friendly once M$ Winwoes gets formatted, then also please chime in.

I live in London at the moment and I'd prefer getting a laptop from a physical store in London, but if you know of a good online deal from a reliable source anywhere in the world (except Nigeria ;] ), I'll be happy to hear about it.

Do you think getting a dual core with 4GB RAM makes sense in 2010? Is getting a quad core with 8GB RAM (I haven't seen any like that in the stores here) possible for a price that isn't linear, so for less than twice the dual-core 4GB's price? I'm familiar with how prices work regarding desktop PCs, for example you can get hardware twice as good for only 10% more of the price, but I'm completely green as far as laptops are concerned.

Budget: definitely not more than 1000 pounds.

Thank's in advance for the help!
<-- me

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi!

Honestly - i never thought before how fast and reliable APG/APT would be running on a Macbook Pro. I use a 17" 2,8Ghz Core 2 Duo which has two graphic cards included. One is for saving energy and the second one is for graphic power.
With the excellent LED screen i do the complete stitching-process and finally Photoshopping easily in the hotel room when i travel.

I added a fast external rugged drive via FW800 and store all together with an A5 Wacom tablet in a flat suitcase.
This is a very fine way to work - not only while travelling: at home i connect my 24" Cinema Display and have a two-screen set as an addition to my stationary Mac.

The biggest Pano i made with this combination was 5,6GB - layered Photoshop document. Easy work.

I know: it´s a bit expensive - but it´s really worth every cent. Related to what you get for the price it´s absolutely ok.

A friend of mine skipped his PC laptop, bought a Macbook Pro and runs Win7 on it (he needs to use Windows - he´s a database developer for some big newspaper-houses). He´s very impressed.

Another friend runs Linux on it - no big difference between Linux and the Unix based MacOs. Often he runs MacOs via the Unix-shell - that´s unknown magic to me . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

P.S.: somebody told me he´s going to change the dual core to a quadcore in the Macbook - he means the socket would fit. I don´t know . . . but seems to be a nice idea . . . :)
Last edited by klausesser on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:37 pm

How about Dell? http://www.dell.com/business/laptops?~ck=mn#subcats=&navla=80770~0~1791343&navidc=LT:%20Operating%20System&navValc=FreeDOS%20and%20Linux&a=80770~0~1791343

Specifically, how about http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/workstation_precision_m4400/pd.aspx?refid=workstation_precision_m4400&s=bsd&cs=04&~oid=us~en~4~workstation_precision_m4400n_cto1~~

The linux version only has a core2 duo in the dropdown list, but the specs say that a core 2 quad is available. You may have to call them to get the quad.

One alternative is to buy what you need (not what you want) now. In a couple of years, buy the fastest processor (it will be much cheaper) and max out the RAM. Change the disk drive to a velociraptor or SSD.
Last edited by hankkarl on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
Gordon

Info

by Gordon » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:09 pm

London, hmm have you tried Tottenham Ct Road, Many shops are located in this area and also several large Computer Fairs on Saturdays.

Best
Gordon
Last edited by Gordon on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000th Member :D

GigaPixel Experimenter
Gigapan Beta Unit, Canon Powershot S5IS, Canon 350D, Nikon D40, Manfrotto Tripod, BT-Serial + Papywizard on Nokia 770, Fully-Operational Merlin the Wizard Unit!!!