Question about APP temp files on a different drive.  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
Mr Moose

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Question about APP temp files on a different drive.

by Mr Moose » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:48 pm

I have a dedicated internal HD for a PhotoShop scratch drive (80 GB 7200 rpm SATA II). When I have APP open, PhotoShop and all other app's are closed. Could I use my PhotoShop scratch drive for APP temp files?

no avatar
wjh31

Info

by wjh31 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:36 pm

yes, aslong as your stitches are small enough to fit inside the 80GB. When you close photoshop it removes all the temporary files (they are only temporary!) so leaving the hard drive free, you could even use both at once if you werent editing a particualrly large image with photoshop

no avatar
Mr Moose

Topic author
Info

by Mr Moose » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:53 pm

The largest image so far was about 1.8 GB, that was a .PSB file for PS. I have noticed my PC getting a little slow when working with these large files, but I haven't switched the temp files in AAP over to my scratch drive yet, I will do so tonight.
I assume that the temp files in AAP are cleared when closing the program, just like PS?

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:11 pm

Yes, but APP needs lots of space on the temp directory drive.

no avatar
Mr Moose

Topic author
Info

by Mr Moose » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:30 pm

I assume that the temp files are currently on my C: drive right now, which is only 160 GB SATA II. I don't keep any data files on C: drive, but there can't more than 100 GB of open space left.
I have made one pano that had 62 images, seemed work just fine, but hard drive are cheap. How do I find out how much space is being used?

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:05 am

Watch the disk space durring each phase of APP.

BTW, the bigger disks are usually faster than the smaller within a family. So if you get a Western Digital Black 2TB ( http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=733 ) or a Seagate Baracuda or other new, fast drive, you may find a performance speedup. I'm guessing the reasons are:
1. less head movement
2. newer controller
3. more cache on the HDD

Of course, the 1TB drive is cheaper ($100 vs $300 for the 2TB) but the 2TB has 64M cache vs 32M on the 1TB.

The real speed demon is the Velociraptor series (or even better, SAS). But those are very expensive, and are 2 1/2 inch drives (so they have lower capacity than the 3 1/2 inch drives.)