fisheye recommondation  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
User avatar
gkaefer
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 3549
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 15 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Salzburg
Info

fisheye recommondation

by gkaefer » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in fisheye lens for my Canon EOS 400D.

Sigma:
4,5mm F2,8 EX DC Zirkular Fisheye HSM
8mm F3,5 EX DG Zirkular Fisheye
(both found here: http://www.sigma-foto.de/cms/front_content.php?client=1&lang=1&idcat=53&idart=273 )

which one is better for spherical panos?

other vendors...?
what are the criterias I've to take care?

tanks in advance,
Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16415
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:06 am

gkaefer wrote:Hi,

I'm interested in fisheye lens for my Canon EOS 400D.

Sigma:
4,5mm F2,8 EX DC Zirkular Fisheye HSM
8mm F3,5 EX DG Zirkular Fisheye
(both found here: http://www.sigma-foto.de/cms/front_content.php?client=1&lang=1&idcat=53&idart=273 )

which one is better for spherical panos?

other vendors...?
what are the criterias I've to take care?

tanks in advance,
Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Georg,

I would recommend the Sigma 8mm f3.5 rather than the Sigma 4.5mm.

You might also consider the Sigma 10mm fisheye:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3337&navigator=6

Both will provide higher resolution sphericals with just a few more shots.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
john_willetts
Member
 
Posts: 62
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 11:44 am
Info

by john_willetts » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:03 pm

I've been using the Sunex SuperFisheye for nearly 2 years now and am very happy with it and it's dead easy to use.

It's got 185 degree coverage, a fixed aperture and the depth of field from 15" to infinity so you quickly learn the shutter speeds for a variety of conditions.

Sunex claim that you can take a pan with 2 shots - but it has never worked well for me, I usually take 4.

I did have some CA problems when I was processing the RAW files in Photoshop, since I've changed to NX2, they've vanished - but as NX2 is for Nikon users and you've got a Canon, I don't suppose that's much use is it?

John

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16415
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:43 pm

As I see it a major issue with a Sunex FE (or Sigma 5.5mm FE) which produces a full circular image on a cropped senor body on a Canon 400D is that resulting stitched 360x180 will not have sufficient resolution to allow fullscreen display as a Flash VR.
Last edited by mediavets on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
john_willetts
Member
 
Posts: 62
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 11:44 am
Info

by john_willetts » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:44 am

Ahhhh, I Think.

Thank goodness I have a D300. I remember, before I bought the Sunex, I tried a Sigma - and very quickly sent it back.

no avatar
mediavets
Moderator
 
Posts: 16415
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 130 posts
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Isleham, Cambridgeshire, UK.
Info

by mediavets » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:52 am

john_willetts wrote:Ahhhh, I Think.

Thank goodness I have a D300. I remember, before I bought the Sunex, I tried a Sigma - and very quickly sent it back.

What size (pixel dimensions) equirectangular stitched 360x180 images do you get when using the Sunex on your D300?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
john_willetts
Member
 
Posts: 62
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 11:44 am
Info

by john_willetts » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:56 am

Straight out of Autopano 7-8000 across which I reduce to 6000. I do take 4 shots.

User avatar
gkaefer
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 3549
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 15 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Salzburg
Info

by gkaefer » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:31 pm

mediavets wrote:Georg,

I would recommend the Sigma 8mm f3.5 rather than the Sigma 4.5mm.

You might also consider the Sigma 10mm fisheye:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3337&navigator=6

Both will provide higher resolution sphericals with just a few more shots.

ok - thanks for info. final lack of knowledge ;-) :
and a fisheye with 10-20mm focal length? Are there more pros or cons:

I assume
pros: more flexibility; possibillity to do multi focal length layered panos (the focal length difference must not be grater than... read in other thread...)
cons less angle=more images needed; worse quality of lens; more difficult to handle different settings by using different focal lengths ;-)

Q to the 10mm Sigma: have I to shave this or can I use this out of the box?

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
stevegek
New member
 
Posts: 6
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:45 am
Info

by stevegek » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:00 am

I'm using a Sigma 15mm myself, very happy eventhough Autopano has many mismatches. However I think I need to take the pictures differently...I'm using a grip so when I rotate the cam, the lens position is different.

Also bear in mind that you have a CROPFACTOR. 10mm on ur cam will be equal like 16mm on my camera. I have a fullframe 5DMKII. You could also go for a 5D which is at the moment the cheapest fullframe camera... I loved it when I had it. :)

User avatar
gkaefer
Member
 
Topic author
Posts: 3549
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 15 posts
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Salzburg
Info

by gkaefer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:43 pm

stevegek wrote:I'm using a Sigma 15mm myself, very happy eventhough Autopano has many mismatches. However I think I need to take the pictures differently...I'm using a grip so when I rotate the cam, the lens position is different.

Also bear in mind that you have a CROPFACTOR. 10mm on ur cam will be equal like 16mm on my camera. I have a fullframe 5DMKII. You could also go for a 5D which is at the moment the cheapest fullframe camera... I loved it when I had it. :)

;-) I know.but currently to expensive for me to also change the lenses....
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron