Video Performance  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
Ronald

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

Video Performance

by Ronald » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 am

Hi,

Currently, I'm using one GTS 8800 EVGA video card, and, I'm wondering if I install a second one in SLI mode would be a good idea to get a better performance...

Thanks,
Ron

DrSlony

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by DrSlony » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:17 am

Better than instant? On my PC GPU mode is basically instant and amazing, except for the crashes.

no avatar
Ronald

Topic author
Info

by Ronald » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:26 am

Well,

What kind of video card you have? a mean, when I'm generating panoramas with more than 50 raw images, seems kind slow... My video card has 640MB DDR3 and if connect a second card I would get 1.3GB RAM and more video processing power...

Some people says that I should use just one video card with 2GB, instead two video cards... but, to me the real answer should comes from somebody from Kolor, because, if they said that Autopano is better with more graphical power I will install the second video card; but, if they said that I need more memory I will replace the video card...

no avatar
thepanoguy

Info

by thepanoguy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:31 am

You give very little information. What are you trying to do? A graphics card just displays graphics, it does not process the raw image data. That is the job of the CPU.

Most of the information on the net is regurgitated information by fanboys who have no idea on setting up computers.

Microsoft have a guide on setting up Windows XP for critical use and performance applications.

You need two high performance hard drives partitioned with three partitions on each drive.
The first partition is a swap drive of 5GB.
The second partition is the Windows partition and software of 20GB.
The remainder is storage.
The second drive is set up the same.
The swap partition is on the opposite drive to the OS in use.

On your imaging system you have to switch off all the networking applications and run as a stand alone system.
That will give you a 30% OS speed increase as the networking applications are no longer running background.
Your second system partition can be a general purpose software partition.
Defragment your system partition after all the software is loaded and do not be tempted to store any user files on the system partition.

Your motherboard needs to be a genuine Intel motherboard without over-clocking.
That is because a lot of motherboard manufacturers operate the north and south bridge outside Intel's specifications to boost performance.
In the process you can experience bus instability.
Memory a minimum of 1GB.

Do a search for DAW - Digital Audio Workstation. They are professional in the music business.
On a lot of the sites they have guides for setting up windows performance.
You will find a Windows XP performance chart at Black Viper's site.

I have been using the above configuration for the past three years without any problems.

no avatar
hankkarl

Info

by hankkarl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:39 pm

thepanoguy wrote:You give very little information. What are you trying to do? A graphics card just displays graphics, it does not process the raw image data. That is the job of the CPU.

BTW, here's a "video card" that doesn't have a video output. http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_tesla_c1060_us.html

thepanoguy wrote:Most of the information on the net is regurgitated information by fanboys who have no idea on setting up computers.

How very true.
Last edited by hankkarl on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:55 pm

Ehehehe :)

mrking

Info

by mrking » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:55 pm

thepanoguy wrote:You give very little information. What are you trying to do? A graphics card just displays graphics, it does not process the raw image data. That is the job of the CPU.

Autopano now supports GPU processing that, I believe, allows for the GPU to do some of the computing processing. Otherwise, why have GPU support?

My rig with a dual core CPU and two 7900's in SLI processes my panos (only 25 images at most) amazingly fast.

no avatar
Ronald

Topic author
Info

by Ronald » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:11 pm

My point was associated to the GPU and how I could get the best performance in that area; the rendering process in real-time requires some hardware capabilities on the video card; in fact, to activate the GPU mode the application perform validations to determine if the video card meet the app specs; my question about the video performance was oriented to that area... maybe, I didn't explain properly!

thepanoguy wrote:You need two high performance hard drives partitioned with three partitions on each drive.
The first partition is a swap drive of 5GB.
The second partition is the Windows partition and software of 20GB.
The remainder is storage.
The second drive is set up the same.
The swap partition is on the opposite drive to the OS in use.

I don't have my HDD's partitions in that way, however, I have one HDD with all the programs; the swap drive is a different HDD, and, the photo folders and temp folder in a different HDD in raid-0.... part of my plan is to replace the SATA HDD to SAS drives in order to get more performance... but, I'm trying to figure out first my doubts about the video performance

no avatar
Ronald

Topic author
Info

by Ronald » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:23 pm

mrking wrote:Autopano now supports GPU processing that, I believe, allows for the GPU to do some of the computing processing. Otherwise, why have GPU support?

My rig with a dual core CPU and two 7900's in SLI processes my panos (only 25 images at most) amazingly fast.

How much time takes to preview the panorama? a mean, just an idea for reference... are you using raw images, right?

Did you test your system before with one video card only?

mrking

Info

by mrking » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:28 pm

Ronald wrote:
mrking wrote:Autopano now supports GPU processing that, I believe, allows for the GPU to do some of the computing processing. Otherwise, why have GPU support?

How much time takes to preview the panorama? a mean, just an idea for reference... are you using raw images, right?

Did you test your system before with one video card only?

When I get home I'll do a test. I'll time a pano preview with GPU processing turned off and one with it on and post the results.

no avatar
wjh31

Info

by wjh31 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:40 pm

i too was wondering about the gpu accelertaion, i was wondering if anyone knows where exactly gpu acceleation is used. Im fairly sure its used in the stitched but not rendered preview, but is it used during any of the actual stitching/rendering process?

mrking

Info

by mrking » Fri May 01, 2009 5:18 pm

Well, I tested it with GPU on and GPU off but both previews clocked in at the same time for a 40 image pano. 1 min 47 seconds.

What is GPU support for then?

DrSlony

Info

by DrSlony » Fri May 01, 2009 5:51 pm

For everything between the time your panos were detected and the time you click on render :] Compare for example moving the pano...