Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Nodal Ninja
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:00 pm 

I just want to know, if there are here users of Nodal Ninja that are willing to share their experiences with this product. I'm thinking of getting it soon.
Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:18 am 

Plenty @
http://www.nodalninja.com/forum/ :-)
http://www.panoguide.com/forums/
Have Fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:46 am 

bigwade wrote:

Fun with what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:36 am 

Adam, I have had very good luck with my NN5L. I recently purchased one of the D8 rotators as well which do not have any play and allow you to easily adjust the number of shots. I will still use my original rotator for long hikes. Especially up mountains. I used the leveler (additional purchase) initially, and Nick sent me some cork to keep it from sliding, but I do not use it anymore. I use my NN5L level and a bubble level on my camera's hotshoe (nadir, zenith)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:16 am 

I have NN3, used it with my 5D + Sigma 24-60, but that's proven too heavy combo. The whole panohead wobbles a lot and it's not really stable. And that's just for horizontal shots, never did a vertical pano, as the vertical rotation has no detent ring, so there's no way to set and secure the camera in even increments...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:30 pm 

I have an NN5L - that's the one with the original rotator that uses detente rings to set the click-stops and which has no lever locks on the vertical rotator.

I use it with my Nikon D40, the Nikkor 18-55mm kit zoom, a Sigma 8mm f.35 FE, and a Nikkor 10.5mm FE.

It is nicely made, very stable, and very easy to use. I don't miss the 15 degree locks on the vertical rotator because the fixed 15 increments would not be that much use to me anyway and my camera body is quite lightweight.

I could probably have used an NN3 but I chose to spend more and get the NN5L because I felt it would provide 'headroom' should I later wish to upgrade to a larger, heavier camera body, or wished to use longer lenses, and because it is more stable.

The new R-D8 rotator could be a nice upgrade for me - just to save me having occasionally to swap detente rings, although that is quick and easy to do. I would not need more click-stops than it offers on a manual pano head. If I was going to shoot with a longer lens that required more click-stops than the RD-8 offfers I would instead use my Merlin/Papywizard robotic pano head.

In short I'm quite happy with my NN5L. And the customer support offered by Bill Bailey at Nodal Ninja is quite outstanding, I've never known better.

Last edited by mediavets on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:57 pm 

Adam wrote:
bigwade wrote:

Fun with what?

Searching of course...
At the NN forum 99% is a NN user
At panoguide at least 50% I guess.
So you can get all the information you need there.

I use a NN3 with a Canon 450D/sig8 or Sig10 FE for travelling (+Feisol cheap rotator not the old NN rotator) and sometimes the NN3 on a Seitz VR drive with a 5D+ Tokina 10-17.
I use a NN5 with a Canon 450D/sig8 or Sig10 FE and 5D Tok 10-17 or Sig 15 FE for more serious work with a D8 rotator.(or the Seitz VR Drive)
The D8 rotator is new and very precise
All for spheres.

With your gear a NN5 will do. (Buy the D8 or D12 in a package deal, it's much cheaper)
If you want to make big mosaics a robot would be better I guess.
Nodal Ninja Support is outstanding.
Have Fun !

Last edited by bigwade on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:00 pm 

Hey,
What do you think of this one from Kaidan

http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=134

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:54 am 

Adam wrote:
Hey,
What do you think of this one from Kaidan

http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=134

We could play this 'game' for a long time.:rolleyes:

And you haven't discovered the large Agno's range of pano heads yet.

Personally I am rather bored with it.:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:06 am 

Andrew,
This the end of the route now. Really!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:53 am 

360 spherical panoramics
The yaw becomes slightly looser after significant use, but I do not believe that it is a significant problem. I purchased a preproduction D8 rotator which is very precise and significantly heavier. I think that you may be well served by owning both rotators if you have those two needs. Original rotator for hiking or srambling long distances. Heavier rotator shooting different detent settings during a job with different focal lengths.

Gigapixel panoramics w/ DSLR
When I shoot gigapixel panoramics with a DSLR by putting the NN5L on top of an architectural head with three axii fine movements. I make a Z pattern shooting it in rows. I change the yaw with the fine adjustment of the architectural head. At the end of the row I change the pitch on the upper arm of the NN5L and take the next row working in the other direction.

I use the gigapan robot with my Canon G9, but the mechanical servo depression is the Achilles heel of this platform and sometimes the Canon refocuses even though I have it in manual mode. The focus is held by keeping the shutter depressed half way. The optional digital shutter release would need to reverse engineer the interface with the camera over USB. Someone has posted documentation on this, but I would rather just develop a new robot for a DSLR. There is an affordable modified Bescor with electronic shutter release developed by a guy out of the San Francisco bay area.

Last edited by Castillonis on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:30 pm 

Castillonis wrote:
There is an affordable modified Bescor with electronic shutter release developed by a guy out of the San Francisco bay area.

Did you mean Don French's Automate?:

http://www.thegadgetworks.com/index.html

If so, it is USD 600 (USD499 with USD100 discount as a beta tester).

You can put together the much more capable and versatile Merlin/Orion + Papywizard robotic pano head for less than that.
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t4794-low-cost-motorised-pano-head-for-compacts-and-dslrs-merlin-papywizard
http://www.brewzone.com/2008/11/diy-pano-head
http://gigapans.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:45 pm 

Castillonis wrote:
I use the gigapan robot with my Canon G9, but the mechanical servo depression is the Achilles heel of this platform and sometimes the Canon refocuses even though I have it in manual mode. The focus is held by keeping the shutter depressed half way. The optional digital shutter release would need to reverse engineer the interface with the camera over USB.

One of these devices could I think be made to work with Canon G9 on Gigapan Imager robotic head?:
http://www.blip.com.au/item.aspx?itemid=12
http://www.blip.com.au/item.aspx?itemID=14

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:36 pm 

Castillonis wrote:
I use the gigapan robot with my Canon G9, but the mechanical servo depression is the Achilles heel of this platform and sometimes the Canon refocuses even though I have it in manual mode.

This is not a Gigapan-problem but it's the camera pref. setting.
Go to the menu/camera (first icon) and turn all MF options OFF
Turn IS OFF !!!
Save settings under C1 or C2 and now you have no troubles with the AF focus overruling the MF.
and this works great at the gigapan.
Succes !