Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:17 pm 

Adam wrote:
Nobody understands what I'm saying, even myself. Never mind.
I don't think I will be taking spherical panoramas and whatever other kind there are. I just want to photograph nice vistas, like panorama camera does. At least not now. What equipment could I use then?
How do you know that Jasper Eng. is no good.

Well - then your problem is the camera´s maximal resolution. You really would profit from shooting several rows and colums - to get high-resolution panos.
The other way would be to buy a real expensive camera which gives you a high horizontal resolution, use it in portrait-mode and mount just single-row panos.

I´m quite shure time will show you the way . . ;)

P.S.: you should realize that shooting multi-row doesn´t mean shooting spheres!

You just shoot a fraction of a sphere (like any usual lens do) and render a planar-projektion (like any film-/chip-plane also does).
The planar-projection of multirows is the same as a one-shot on chip or film.

Last edited by klausesser on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:19 am 

Adam wrote:
How were this pictures made into vitual tour (spherical panorama?)

Which pictures are you referring to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:42 am 

oooooppppppssssssssssss I forgot to paste this link
http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/Marburg/JPEGs/MarburgQT.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 am 

Can you show me an example of multi row multi column panorama, but would also like to see individual images?
Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:10 am 

Adam wrote:
oooooppppppssssssssssss I forgot to paste this link
http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/Marburg/JPEGs/MarburgQT.html

Yup, those are spherical panos.

Shoot enough images to cover 360x180 FOV using a proper multirow pano head.

Stitch them using, say, APP.

Convert the resulting equirectangular pani image (all 360x180 panos are equirectangular with aspect ratio of 2:1) into a VR format - typically Flash or Quicktime and display in/on a Web page. The simplest tool to do this is Pano2VR:
http://www.google.com/search?q=pano2vr&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7RNWE

Last edited by mediavets on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:51 am 

What is an advantage of multi row pano vs one row. Is multi row pano taller? If I'm shooting city skyline from across a river and am getting more than I want in the picture already, why would I shoot multi row and column?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:52 am 

Adam wrote:
Can you show me an example of multi row multi column panorama, but would also like to see individual images?
Thank you!

I have made my firsts tests on a Nikon D70 and a 18-75 mm lens @ 18 mm.
Here are examples of my results… Good or bad, what interested me was to succeed before investing in a fisheye lens or a more precise panohead
http://www.panolab.com/index.php?action=fullscreen&img=8f67a298
3 rows… 12 picts at 0° - plus a row at minus 45°, a row at plus 45°â€¦ then you take a one picture for the ground (Nadir) and an other one for the sky (zenith)
This is 38 picts shot… Lots of moving objects and lots of time spent in Picture taken and more post processing, but a very good beginning to verify your skill in pano shooting :)
Note that the following pano as one missing missing picture, I had to assume that !…
I could not hear that my shot was taken because of the noise made by the boat elevator…
Never mind, this was a good experience anyway…
http://www.panolab.com/index.php?action=fullscreen&img=938922e0

Keep shooting and your mind and intelligence will do the follow… :)

I'll try to find shots made at that time, please be patient :rolleyes:

Last edited by beeloba on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:31 am 

Adam wrote:
What is an advantage of multi row pano vs one row. Is multi row pano taller? If I'm shooting city skyline from across a river and am getting more than I want in the picture already, why would I shoot multi row and column?

Yes VFOV of multirow pano will be greater.

If single row is sufficient for a scene then fine, but frequently that will not be the case unless you are shootiing with a fisheye lens or a very wide angle rectlinear lens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:35 am 

Adam wrote:

If you want to increase the resolution for a DEEPZOOM pano you will need to shoot multirow.

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:26 am 

Adam wrote:
Thank you!

You can download a multirow multcolumn image set here - 20 images shot at lowest res setting with my Nikon D40, Merlin/Papywizard robotic head, 36mm (35mm equiv.) focal length using 18-55mm Kit zoom lens:
http://www.three60views.org.uk/image_sets/multirow-merlin.ZIP (11MB)

This pano was defined by desired Total FOV, 90x90 in this instance, when shot with Merlin/Papywizard - shooting positions computed automatically around cente point (which is where camera is curently pointing) it leaves 'headroom' for cropping. You choose and set min. overlap amount.

This is what would be called a 'Mosaic' pano, in other words a regular matrix of images. Using Merlin/Papywizard this style of pano shooting can be defined by desired Total FOV (as mentioned above); or by setting upper left and lower right corners of the scene (a la Gigapan Imager robotic head); or by desired number of rows and columns.

Papywizard also offers a 'Preset' mode of shooting which works from a set of prefined shooting positions (Yaw and Pitch values) contained in an XML format file - you would use this mode for shooting sphericals where you do not wish to have the same no. of images in each row:
http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard/wiki/UserGuide#Presetmode

Last edited by mediavets on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:34 pm 

Adam wrote:

here´s an example of shooting a multirow for plan-projection. FOV is about 160deg. The picture was to be printend 25m long @50dpi - so the resolution had to be very high. In fact it was about 700MPx. I shot 5 rows of 40 pictures with bracketing. So it was about 600 pics total. I made HDR first and then stitched the 200 pictures in APP.
This would have been absolutely impossible without multirow.
One advantage of shooting multirow is to be able to make geometrical corrections with good quality. I rendered this picture as planar-projection and squeezed the outer left and right afterwards in Photoshop - because such extreme wide-angle shots always are heavily distorted to the sides - which is normal and also happens using an ultra-wide-angle lens.

(when you click into the picture you´ll get some insight views).

http://www.klausesser.de/FrontMarta.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:50 pm 

Will I be able to take pictures like this with manual gizmo? It would probably take a long time. Especially pano with 200 images. [h]You guys are pros[/h] with this gizmo Merlin. What do you use to trigger shutter?
Anyway, [h]I'm thinking to buy NN180 with L bracket when it comes out.[/h]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:07 pm 

Adam wrote:
Will I be able to take pictures like this with manual gizmo? It would probably take a long time. Especially pano with 200 images. [h]You guys are pros[/h] with this gizmo Merlin. What do you use to trigger shutter?

Adam,

1. Yes, you could take panos like this with a manual pano head - like the NN5L which allows multirow.

2. Yes, it might take you a while to shoot a 200 image pano with a manual head - it takes a while with a robotic head! The advantage IMO of a robotic head for panos requiring many shots is that you don't have to think about it. The largest pano I shot with a manual head was only 36 images and even then I tended to lose track of where I was in the shooting sequence - had I completed a row?; had I taken the shot after moving the head to the next position or not? May be down to my age?! Makes it easier for you (the photographer) to appear in your pano too if that's your wish.

3. Klaus is a pro photographer - but I'm a rank amateur.

4. With the Merlin head the Papywizard software that drives the head causes the shutter to be triggered automatically via a connection between the camera and the head - either a direct wired connection if your camera can accept an external wired remote control (like your D300 and D70s) or via an IR gizmo (I use the gentled-jump for my D40) if your camera can only use IR remote control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:40 pm 

Adam wrote:

I used a manual Manfrotto SPH (slightly modified) and to shoot the pictures took about 10Min. The camera was set to automatic bracketing and i used a short (1m) remote cable.
It´s easier as it sounds like . . the bigger problem is the amount of pictures to be handled by your computer . . .

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:56 pm 

Here is my dilemma what to buy for a pano head.
How heavy is Merlin? How hard is it to program? What else do I need to run it? When I went to school they thought Pascal and Basic for programing.
Will NN-180 w L bracket work for me to get my beak wet in pano photography?
Wait til you get my age!
I'am really surprised to find such a nice people, like you, and willing to share their knowledge. Never happened on any other forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:13 pm 

Adam wrote:
How were this pictures made into vitual tour (spherical panorama?)

You can have a virtual tour without a spherical pano. Technically, a VT can be made up of a group of unstitched images, although it is more common for a VT to be made of circular or spherical panos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:25 pm 

Hello,
Just talked to Bill at NN and he said that NN3 MKII is enough for me to start doing multi row panos. It has a new rotator RD-12 or RD-8. Pretty pricey stuff any NN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:36 pm 

Adam wrote:
Here is my dilemma what to buy for a pano head.
How heavy is Merlin? How hard is it to program? What else do I need to run it? When I went to school they thought Pascal and Basic for programing.
Will NN-180 w L bracket work for me to get my beak wet in pano photography?
Wait til you get my age!
I'am really surprised to find such a nice people, like you, and willing to share their knowledge. Never happened on any other forum.

1. Merlin head weighs 4lbs (1.8Kg) without a camera and lens attached.

2. How hard to program? You just enter/set values to configure the system and then it's all automatic.

You can download the software (Papywizard) - for Windows here - it runs without being connected to a head so you can get a feel for it and see what it's like to configure and use:
http://trac.gbiloba.org/papywizard/wiki/#Developpementversion (choose the Windows installer .exe version)

The software runs on Windows PCs, Linux PCs, and Nokia Internet Tablets (the latter are most popular becaus they are small, battery powered, handheld computers).

You also need an adapter which connects to a socket on the head - there should soon be a simple kit to enable anyone to assemble the adapter without soldering. Right now you have to make 5-6 solder joints to connect a cable to a small circuit board.

3. NN-180 with L-bracket would get you started but because it's limited to shooting single row panos I feel it would be an unwise investment given the photographic equipment you have. A multi-row capable pano head - such as the NN5L - would be more appropriate IMO.

4. Age - I'll be 60 on Saturday.

5. Yes, the community is here is exceptionally friendly and helpful in my experience. It is a joy.

Last edited by mediavets on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 pm 

I'm pretty close to your age.
I'll wait for a board to come out for Merlin that doesn't require any soldering. Let me know when it is out. How do trigger shutter? Is it automatic?
So, what's total cost of Merlin package?
Did you read my previous post? Bill from NN said that I can use NN3 MKII. I'm thinking of getting it with RD-12 or RD-8 rotator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:51 pm 

Adam wrote:
I'll wait for a board to come out for Merlin that doesn't require any soldering. Let me know when it is out. How do trigger shutter? Is it automatic?

I'm sure the adapter kit will announced on the forum.
Yes, shutter is triggered automatically from Merlin head - With the Merlin head the Papywizard software that drives the head causes the shutter to be triggered automatically via a connection between the camera and the head - either a direct wired connection if your camera can accept an external wired remote control (like your D300 and D70s) or via an IR gizmo (I use the gentled-jump for my D40) if your camera can only use IR remote control.

Adam wrote:
So, what's total cost of Merlin package?

I believe another US based user put a complete system together for US$ 400.

Adam wrote:
Did you read my previous post? Bill from NN said that I can use NN3 MKII. I'm thinking of getting it with RD-12 or RD-8 rotator.

You'll need to choose the max. no. of click stops you need with current or future lenses to choose between the RD-8 and RD-12. Ask Bill what he advises with your gear.

One plus you will be able should you wish to upgrade from NN3 to NN5 and retain the rotator.

Last edited by mediavets on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:00 pm 

Not only this, but he said that he will give me 75% in trade-in any time. I think I'll get it soon. No hurry though as I don't shoot so much in Winter time. Like I said, I have a lot to learn on this subject. However, I already did some. Now I know Nadir and Zenith are. Now what is 360x90, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:47 am 

Adam,

I think you may find this informative:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-projections.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:50 am 

I had another friend in Ipswich, UK I met on Qimage forum years ago. He was only 47 and died last April. His name was Andrew also.
Anyway, back on the subject. I would Panosaurus for $80, but not sure if it will do multi image panos. Like I said, I want to learn first and the maybe I'll feel mor comfortable spending more money.

http://gregwired.com/pano/Pano.htm

Last edited by Adam on Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:07 am 

Adam wrote:
I had another friend in Ipswich, UK I met on Qimage forum years ago. He was only 47 and died last April. His name was Andrew also.
Anyway, back on the subject. I would Panosaurus for $80, but not sure if it will do multi image panos. Like I said, I want to learn first and the maybe I'll feel mor comfortable spending more money.

http://gregwired.com/pano/Pano.htm

Look at this page and compare with your equipment to detremine compatibility:
http://gregwired.com/pano/Compatability.htm

I think you'd probably be OK with the D70s but that the D300 may be pushing the max. weight limit.

Within these limitations, yes, it will do multi-row.

If you think your gear fits then you can't go too far wrong for less that US$80 as a starter kit.

Many people have started out with the Panosaurus and later upgraded to something more expensive.

Here's a review of the Panosaurus head:
http://www.tawbaware.com/panosaurus_review.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:17 pm 

Hey Andrew,
I think Panosaurus head might be to flimsy for my equipment. It accepts only 3.2 LB. Any other alternatives I should consider? Don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next