Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:42 am 

Adam,

We will be updating the site with the weight and dimensions next week.

I'll be adding the dimensions here soon (with other info).

- Jim

mediavets wrote:
Adam,

Are you getting the new Kiwi Europa rotator, that was mentioned in a recent by Jim Anders of Kaidan, with the spherical bracket?:
http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=164
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t4895-kaidan-panoramic-heads

As I read the description you'll get 12 separate detente discs with that, and lifetime warranty.

It probably is as robust as an NN5 - I wonder whether the rails are as long and able to handle as large a camera body and as long a lens. There are no details of that on the Kaidan web site (which is sadly typical - why don't they publish the weight and dimensions of the rotator and brackets?) but you will be able to tell us!

Special price for APP users for the new Kiwi Europa rotator is USD 116.95 (seems like a good price to me).
Special price for the Spherical bracket will be USD 199.95 less 10% - USD 179.95

Total (with APP user discount of 10%) is USD 296.90

Least expensive NN3 is USD 229.95

Least expensive NN5 is USD 349.95

So I'd say with APP user discount that the Kaidan offer is quite competively priced. And if Jim Anders is willing to loan you a demo unit for 30 days he must be very confident that you will be offering a favourable user report here on the APP forum.

I do understand your sense of decision anxiety - it's not so long ago that I made the leap into DSLR pano photography.

I too 'endlessly' researched before purchasing but finally realised I was going round in circles and had to 'jump and to Hell with it'. I only really fully understood and fully appreciated the advice (some of which I had perhaps foolishly ignored) I'd been offered in my research phase when I got a pano head (NN5L in my case) and camera and lenses and started shooting panos.

I bought my camera and lenses secondhand which saved a bit and 'splashed out' on the NN5L when the NN3 would have been 'good enough', I also very seriously considered the Agno's MrotatorT series pano heads. I'm pretty satisfied with the choices I made, and know I could sell the lot and not lose very much on what I paid for it.

Since then, bitten by the bug, I've acquired quite a bit more pano gear but that as they say is another story....

I look forward to hearing about how you get on with the Kaidan gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:17 am 

Here are some details/dimensions on the KiWi Europa Rotator. I will post similar info on the camera brackets shortly. As I mentioned, this and other info will be up on the web page shortly.

NOTE: I will post the diagrams on the Kaidan Panoramic Head thread, so as not to clutter this thread.

-Jim

Last edited by Kaidan on Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:57 am 

Jim,

Thanks for that.

It looks very clean, neat and admirably simple.

The compass at the end of the arm is very cute.

Wouild be nice if the bubble level was a standard feature.

Might there not also be a good market for the bubble level or variants of it to folk who do pole panos?

How much is the bubble level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:28 pm 

If everything will go according to plan I should have Kaidan pano head demo next week as promised by Jim. Soon after I will share my impressions here. If everything goes as expected I'll purchase one.
I'm very interested in Merlin Orion also when they get it ready to plug-in state. How much does it weight ~.
Coincidently my wife celebrates her BD today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:37 pm 

Thanks,

The bubble level is $20.

-Jim

mediavets wrote:
Jim,

Thanks for that.

It looks very clean, neat and admirably simple.

The compass at the end of the arm is very cute.

Wouild be nice if the bubble level was a standard feature.

Might there not also be a good market for the bubble level or variants of it to folk who do pole panos?

How much is the bubble level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:37 pm 

Adam wrote:
If everything will go according to plan I should have Kaidan pano head demo next week as promised by Jim. Soon after I will share my impressions here. If everything goes as expected I'll purchase one.
I'm very interested in Merlin Orion also when they get it ready to plug-in state. How much does it weight ~.
Coincidently my wife celebrates her BD today.

My best wishes to your wife for her birthday.

The Merlin/Orion head with the RS232-TTL-Bluetooth adapter but without the 8xAA batteries weighs approx. 4lb (1.8Kg).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:03 am 

Thank you for BD wishes for my wife.
I splurged yesterday and exchanged my tripod head for ball head Induro DM12. It has nice mounting plate. Would you call it Swiss Arca style? I didn't like the plate of 804RC2.
http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-froogle.asp?id=964695767&rf=froogle&dfdate=11_24_2008

Kaidan pano head is on the way to me. Should get it soon.
Please let me know when Orion comes with plug-in ready mount.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6