Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:47 pm 

Adam wrote:
Hey Andrew,
I think Panosaurus head might be to flimsy for my equipment. It accepts only 3.2 LB. Any other alternatives I should consider? Don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Your D70s weighs approx 679 g (1.5 lb) inc. battery body only - what do your lenses weigh? I think your Tokina 116 weighs in at approx. 570g (1.3lb)?

I think the D300 probably would be too much or very close to the limit of the Panosaurus.

But you can shoot perfectly good panos with the D70s, same 6MP sensor as my D40 and that's fine. So you could using it with the Panosaurus to see if pano shooting is something you are likley to get 'hooked' by before investing in something a lot more expensive. If you don't like it I'm sure you can easily find a buyer for a Panosaurus so you'd not be likely to lose much.

Of the widely available, well liked, pano heads, there is not much in between the Panosaursus and the Nodal Ninja range AFAIK.

Paul mentioned one from Germany that's sort of in between-ish and looks good - I had not heard of it before - but not sure how easy it would be to get hold of from/in the USA and it is not much if any less expensive, but apparently the small, medium and large models are all the same price so the larger sizes look to be a good deal:
http://www.autopano.net/forum/p32481-2008-11-12-19-00-22#p32481

The totally 'safe' bet is the NN5 series. It will cope with the weight and size of just about any DSLR body and lens you are likely ever to use for panos.

Last edited by mediavets on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:00 pm 

Thank you!
If I spend that much then I may as well go with NN and here in USA without any problem. It seems to me that everything in Europe costs a lot more + shipping at least 20 euro.
Cannot decide which NN to get. I'll call them again in a few days. I think I cannot go wrong with NN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:53 pm 

not everything in Europe ...
save your money and take the dark winterevenings to translate the website and diy your www.panoadapter.de ;)

close, but no cigar ... ... ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:55 pm 

Hey Andrew and everybody,
I decided that I'm going to get NN5, but don't know which rotator to choose rd8 or 12 mainly because of stops. Btw prices on these rotators increased just today by $20.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:01 pm 

Nice, if you have a machine shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:33 pm 

Adam wrote:
Nice, if you have a machine shop.

arghhh...
Nice, if you don't have a machine shop

He made it with a saw, a rasp, a file, a drill, a printer, a scissor and patience ...
That's all ...

problem: that last thing you can't buy in a hardware store and nowhere else :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:42 pm 

A lot of work by hand. Not for me any more.:cool:
I think it would take a month 160 hours to make it + material. Then it would be $3 an hour, because I can buy NN5 for $500. Also, it wouldn't be as good as NN5.
Do you have first hand knowledge of NN?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:46 pm 

Adam wrote:
Do you have first hand knowledge of NN?

No, I have set up my own robot ...

Last edited by Paul on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:57 pm 

Wow! this a machine to go to the Moon with.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:02 am 

Paul wrote:
save your money and take the dark winterevenings to translate the website and diy your www.panoadapter.de ;)

Hi Paul!

Schaut sehr gut aus! Looks very good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:33 am 

Furianesque ;)

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:36 am 

Paul wrote:

http://www.panoadapter.de/pictures/uebersicht.jpg

What a very beautiful machine - an artwork.

The description of how to make it is also beautifully conceived and presented.

Last edited by mediavets on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:49 pm 

Hey Andrew,
Is this machine better IYO than NN3 MKII or NN5?

http://www.marc-kairies.de/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:05 pm 

Adam wrote:
Hey Andrew,
I think Panosaurus head might be too flimsy for my equipment. It accepts only 3.2 LB. Any other alternatives I should consider? Don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish.

You should consider the Manfrotto 303SPH. It has a load capacity of 4 kilograms (8.82 pounds):http://www.manfrotto.com/page2356.html.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:20 pm 

fma38 wrote:
Furianesque ;)

Oui! Reminds me of the famous "Mà¤rklin-Baukà¤sten" of my childhood . . :P :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:04 pm 

Whatever m,,,,,,-b,,,,,,, means. Sounds like mouthfull though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:06 pm 

Adam wrote:
OK this taken care of I hope. I order Bogen / Manfrotto center column form Calumet $110.
Now I need inexpensive attachment to take care of nodal point for Tokina 116 and Nikon 18-200 lenses. Any suggestions for this hardware?
BTW how do I setup my profile on this forum?
Thank you!

I follow this thread with a little distance but with a lot of interest…
About setting up your profile it's the same way that when you inserted you avatar or your email contact… be logged in and click on the tab 'Profile'

For the other subjects, tripod, panohead etc. After using in all the basic rules of NPP and other ones, I work with a NN3 because I use a D80 and a fisheye lens, I don't care anymore about first rules…
Monopod is my favorite when no need of bracketing… Even 7 meters high mast…
This only means that there are steps in confidence with your own experience…
I have needed 2 years of learning before feeling at ease in all that.
My first confidence became from my ability to make retouches in PS…
Equipment is necessary, but experience is more important in self confidence.

Here are my first tests with a Nikon D70 and an the usual 18-70 mm lens…
More than 38 picts with a panosaurus at just $ 80 US and the last example with a D80 and and a 10.5 Nikkor fisheye on the top of a windsurf mast…
The evolution was not made for more penny making quick, but for more efficiency…

This is My first edited pano on the WWP site @18 mm 6 megapixels camera and a panosaurus… http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/worldwidepanorama/wwp1206/fullscreen/Beeloba.html
This one is more tricky because of the very close foreground and quite a lot of layer retouch for not having to many parallax errors

My main problems were the same as yours! Is it necessary to invest quickly to make fast business results or to understand the basic knowledges about the whole field involved in this new 'industry'…
No answer will fit what your need as answers…
You have to be patient and not to be too much worried anymore.
Take it easy, this is not a game, to become a good professional :rolleyes: :cool: :lol:

BTW I know panoramists who invested in the most expensive equipments and still are posting questions on how to solve basic issues.

PS. there is a little ambiguity with your nick "Adam" and your avatar "Eve" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by beeloba on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:05 am 

Well, thank you for educating me about being patient, etc. I'll try to be cool, but it's hard to find good resources on panoramic photography. How do you do QT images?
Do you still use Panosaurus? Are all pictures at this link by you?
This avtar is more interesting to look at, take my word for it. Advertising!:lol::cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:19 am 

Quote:
Well, thank you for educating me about being patient

Here educating people is not the right sens…
Everybody can answer or not to your questioning, and nobody have any duty in education, because we have no other feeling than to share or not…
This not a rule but a personnal feeling…
Some are picking up infos for their own secret field and some other share to learn more or to give back what they were thought

Adam wrote:
How do you do QT images?

I'm on Mac and I have used Cubic_Converter, because Pano2QTVR was a PC only app at that time…
Not until Pano2VR (not the same name) was available on Mac also… but Pano2VR is more recent and less evolved than the older app performing on PC…
Too early perhaps !!

Quote:
Do you still use Panosaurus ?

I deeply regret to have left aside this pano head, that could still help me a lot with other focal length, without having to modify the setup…
This panohead can very useful in a lot of mosaic (flat panos) with a tele focal length, It is so cheap that its like a mini tripod, as expensive as it is, to have a second panohead for instant focal length changing…
I can assure you that a panohead is longer lasting than camera bodies or even lens…

Quote:
Are all pictures at this link by you?

Of course, I have tried pano techniques since 2006…
As an old professional photographer first, but as aq I begun an amateur in panography…
This was not a big deal, because computers were giving me more than darkrooms, if you see what I mean between dark room and light room ! No i really got involved with numeric retouching :)

Quote:
This avatar is more interesting to look at, take my word for it. Advertising!:lol::cool:

I'm not sure that the advantage of an avatar picture finally helps to know you, when it seems to be fake…
Try too use an intermediate one, before you want to show who you are…
Not any versatile person… Just what you want to represent or being felt !!

Is this the image or is it a momentarily representation of it… This is your choice of course…
Just tell us from what part of the world you talk from is really enough… Cultural origin helps us a lot in our answers :)

Â

Last edited by beeloba on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:58 pm 

Hi,

mediavets wrote:
You also need an adapter which connects to a socket on the head - there should soon be a simple kit to enable anyone to assemble the adapter without soldering. Right now you have to make 5-6 solder joints to connect a cable to a small circuit board.

Although I could do this soldering, I would prefer not to, since my equipment is buried in some boxes (and I don't actually know which it is).
So I would be interested in having something ready to use.

mediavets wrote:
4. Age - I'll be 60 on Saturday.

Congratulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:23 pm 

snaefell wrote:
Hi,

mediavets wrote:
4. Age - I'll be 60 on Saturday.

Congratulations.

Thanks - do you like my cake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:40 pm 

Yep, it must be better than talking about pano heads.
Happy bithday old grouch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:59 pm 

Adam,

Since I'm feeling a little less of a grouch this evening, here's my take on Kaidan.

A very long established manufacturer of pano heads.

Equipment quite well thought out and solid, but designs perhaps a bit 'clunky' in a typically American style of engineering, which I find quite charming and endearing.

Strangely reticent about promoting their products.

Relatively slow in developing new products.

Web site poorly designed and frequently out of date. Little in-depth information.

I have an ancient Kaidan Kiwi 995 head, purchase used not so long ago, which is still in use with my equally ancient CP 995 and CP 5000 cameras and FC-E8, WC-E68 and WC-E63 lens convertors. It's a single axis head and still works just fine.

I wanted a sticker (to go on the head) for use with the CP-5000 - which shows positioning for various lenses. Initially had no response to emails but finally established contact with a very helpful lady in sales who had the 'back room boys' look out an obsolete upgrade kit which included said sticker and offered me a good price for the whole kit which I accepted.

So I think Kaidan stuff is robust and functional, perhaps a little 'clunky', perhaps a little pricey, and not that widely promoted nor that widely available world wide.

Given that they were very much the market leader in the early days of VR pano photography it's a bit of a puzzle to me why they didn't retain their market position.

Last edited by mediavets on Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:39 pm 

Happy birthday again.
I'm soon to receive a demo of the unit from Kaidan to try for 30 days. It's their smaller unit that I send a link to in one of the previous messages. It comes with 12 detent ring as I understand it. It supposed to be as robust as NN5. I talked about it to President of Kaidan Inc. Will post my impression of the unit after I get to use it a little.
Here I found a link
http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=134
I realize that I'm beating a dead horse on this topic, but I'm to old to spend that kind of money $500 on something I wont like or use. I just want to be sure when I make a plunge, that water is not to shallow. Please try to understand it. Also, be sure that I register everything you tell me.
Thanx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:25 am 

Adam,

Are you getting the new Kiwi Europa rotator, that was mentioned in a recent by Jim Anders of Kaidan, with the spherical bracket?:
http://www.kaidan.com/Detail.bok?no=164
http://www.autopano.net/forum/t4895-kaidan-panoramic-heads

As I read the description you'll get 12 separate detente discs with that, and lifetime warranty.

It probably is as robust as an NN5 - I wonder whether the rails are as long and able to handle as large a camera body and as long a lens. There are no details of that on the Kaidan web site (which is sadly typical - why don't they publish the weight and dimensions of the rotator and brackets?) but you will be able to tell us!

Special price for APP users for the new Kiwi Europa rotator is USD 116.95 (seems like a good price to me).
Special price for the Spherical bracket will be USD 199.95 less 10% - USD 179.95

Total (with APP user discount of 10%) is USD 296.90

Least expensive NN3 is USD 229.95

Least expensive NN5 is USD 349.95

So I'd say with APP user discount that the Kaidan offer is quite competively priced. And if Jim Anders is willing to loan you a demo unit for 30 days he must be very confident that you will be offering a favourable user report here on the APP forum.

I do understand your sense of decision anxiety - it's not so long ago that I made the leap into DSLR pano photography.

I too 'endlessly' researched before purchasing but finally realised I was going round in circles and had to 'jump and to Hell with it'. I only really fully understood and fully appreciated the advice (some of which I had perhaps foolishly ignored) I'd been offered in my research phase when I got a pano head (NN5L in my case) and camera and lenses and started shooting panos.

I bought my camera and lenses secondhand which saved a bit and 'splashed out' on the NN5L when the NN3 would have been 'good enough', I also very seriously considered the Agno's MrotatorT series pano heads. I'm pretty satisfied with the choices I made, and know I could sell the lot and not lose very much on what I paid for it.

Since then, bitten by the bug, I've acquired quite a bit more pano gear but that as they say is another story....

I look forward to hearing about how you get on with the Kaidan gear.

Last edited by mediavets on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next