Panasonic Lumix G1 + Gigapan-Bot  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
europanorama

Panasonic Lumix G1 + Gigapan-Bot

by europanorama » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:34 am

this fantastic light micro 4/3 camera is -together with the little affordable gigapan-bot-definitively a universal panoramic machine. look at the lenses: 7-14, 14 -...., 40/1.7. i will come out soon. i will try to get one for testing. the will be a g2-version. i thought it will be hd-video only but i am sure it will have photo plus hd-video. my actual canon af 35 ml with its 40/1.9 analogue is only slightly smaller.
Last edited by europanorama on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
michael przewrocki
www.europanorama.tk
www.europanorama.ch.vu
3dstereo-aeropanoramas-marspanoramas

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:49 am

europanorama wrote:this fantastic light micro 4/3 camera is -together with the little affordable gigapan-bot-definitively a universal panoramic machine. look at the lenses: 7-14, 14 -...., 40/1.7. i will come out soon. i will try to get one for testing. the will be a g2-version. i thought it will be hd-video only but i am sure it will have photo plus hd-video. my actual canon af 35 ml with its 40/1.9 analogue is only slightly smaller.

Nikon D40
Dimensions 126 x 94 x 64 mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in)
Weight (no batt) 471 g (1.0 lb)
Weight (inc. batt) 522 g (1.2 lb)

Lumix G1
Dimensions 124 mm x 84 mm x 45 mm
Weight (camera body) Approx. 380 g
Weight (inc supplied lens, card and battery) Approx 630 g

It appears that the Lumix G1 is not that much smaller and lighter than a Nikon D40 and it is twice the price, current price for D40 in UK is about GBP 250 and for the Lumix G1 about GBP 550.

The Canon Ixus 90 IS - which is one of the compact cameras said to be suitable for the Gigapan Imager head by contrast weighs 155 g (without batteries?) and is much smaller than a Lumix G1.

I don't think the Lumix G1 is really any more suited to the Gigapan Imager than any other DSLR - you could have a Nikon D40 and a Merlin/Papywizard setup for the price of a Lumix G1 alone.
Last edited by mediavets on Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
europanorama

by europanorama » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:27 pm

maybe you are right. i had in mind adapting my zeiss. but using two adapters would increase weight dramatically. maybe i will try canon 450d. i have special tasks where i would need all those advantages. d60 kit is down at 555 chf. tempting but... see my needs.
michael przewrocki
michael przewrocki
www.europanorama.tk
www.europanorama.ch.vu

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:33 pm

europanorama wrote:maybe you are right. i had in mind adapting my zeiss. but using two adapters would increase weight dramatically. maybe i will try canon 450d. i have special tasks where i would need all those advantages. d60 kit is down at 555 chf. tempting but... see my needs.
michael przewrocki

What are your needs exactly?
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
europanorama

by europanorama » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:30 am

my needs:
1. always-with-me-camera like canon af35ml(40/1.9)- g1 is a bit larger-with 20/1.7(40/1.7) fantastic. i hope its quicker than canon since i had missed a supershot due to stopping shooting-and due slow camera. in dpreview(pro digital i think) i have the whole story. btw: i am permanently kicked out of dp due to advertising......official opinion. but in my opinion due to my big mouth telling the truth.
2. lightweight-also due to possible use of gigapan-bot(the small one)
3. hd-video-g2 will have that, i hope with photo-option included.
4. contax/yashica(zeiss)-lens-adaptation
5. clever and not very high tripods like my specially stabilized monsterpod or stitz enables quick shooting even under difficult locations or light-situations. flat design of that analogue canon and my nikon p50 is a major plus to hide my doings. sometimes its a plus sometimes not. why not? decades ago-with my olympus om-camera and 75-150(smallest slr at that time before pentax came)- i could accidentally shoot a famous person. but he recognized me before i did him. and this brought me to a perfect shooting position, he standing still. i cannot describe further since that supershot had never been published and must stay rare.
michael przewrocki
www.europanorama.tk
www.europanorama.ch.vu

Return to Hardware