Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:15 am 

Does the 40d take 3 shots (AEB) with one press of the shutter or do you have to hold it down for the duration of the 3 shots?.

On my E410 I have to hold the shutter which is a pain if im using 2 sec timer as it only shoots once. then have to depress the shutter again wait 2 secs etc, as I can't find a way to use delay and continuios shooting together.

Im also buying the timer remote also for the 40d so it can take a bunch of shots with the timer whislt in AEB and all i have todo is rotate the camera and that will shoot away with little interferance from me (I'm planning on using a pole for differant views etc) assuming the 40d needs just one depress of the shutter button, and not to be held.

Or .. would it be simpler to just use a laptop and control the 40d from there.

Obviously the camera and the remote is no hassle to carry around all day, the laptop adds inconvenience / weight etc

Thanks for any info

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:54 am 

Laptop is convenient when you have to manually bracket that too more than 3 shots, else the remote works best, but40D or any other canon camera right from D30 days will work in the following manner.

set the 2sec/10 sec timer when camera set to AEB>>>> all cameras will shoot 3 shots bracketed & then stop. The timer is set for the 1st shot only once stated it will do rapid shots one after the another.

Quote:
Im also buying the timer remote also for the 40d so it can take a bunch of shots with the timer whislt in AEB and all i have todo is rotate the camera and that will shoot away with little interferance from me

Remote has other usage but what you want to do is already built in to 40D.
You can use live view too with this AEB/timer combination, this takes the mirror up & acts like a locked mirror+remote+timer+AEB

Last edited by digipano on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:16 am 

thank you, at least I know that it does all 3 shots with just one press of the shutter.

the remote will be useful for when the camera is on top of a pole saves me carrying step ladders around :) but more for the timer function, set the remote to auto capture the scene every 30 seconds for example in AEB mode then i rotate the pole. be intresting to see time lapse too.

live view is not something i use much, at least not on the olympus 410 but maybe I will once I get a real camera :)

thanks for the info!

with that info supplied, calumet here I come

Last edited by IDPlease on Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:32 am 

which remote are you planning to buy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:24 pm 

timer remote control tc-80n3

thats what im getting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:37 pm 

IDPlease wrote:
the remote will be useful for when the camera is on top of a pole saves me carrying step ladders around :) but more for the timer function, set the remote to auto capture the scene every 30 seconds for example in AEB mode then i rotate the pole. be intresting to see time lapse too.

The tc-80n3 is a good choice, but only has a 2.6 foot cord. You may want to get the extension cord for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:50 pm 

Thats a wired remote & quite expensive too.
To use it with camera on pole you would need extension cord too, I think you have a better alternative here with a wireless remote which works upto 100 feet & more.

http://tinyurl.com/56y6oz

Features:
Radio control with working distance up to 100m (320ft)
16 Channels available
Hot shoe mount - so it stays in one place
Single shooting / 2 second delay / Continuous shooting / Bulb mode
Receiver works as a wired remote ( even without the battery)

Last edited by digipano on Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:13 pm 

cheers hankkarl, I shall have to get an extension cord for it

looks like a cheaper alternative digipano, but im also intrested in the timer function of the remote tc-80n3 (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/tc-80n3.shtml) you to set it to set any delay (in 1 second increments) up to 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds it'll do the business for you, esp. in time lapse set up camera tripod etc, walk away and do some other photography, have a coffee :) or sleep .. hehe

exposure count could be the icing on the cake!

Quote:
Self Timer

Just like the self timer on your camera. Except where most Canon bodies offer either a 2 second delay or a 10 second delay, the TC-80N3 allows you to set any delay (in 1 second increments) up to 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds. Let's call it 100 hours. That's just over 4 days!

Interval Timer

The Interval Timer can be set to any time period up to 100 hours as well. If you set it to 10 minutes, for example, one exposure will be taken every 10 minutes until either the film runs out or the Exposure Count limit has been reached.

Long Exposure

This one is easy. It allows you to take time exposures up to (you guessed it) 100 hours in length.

Exposure Count

This fourth and final setting permits you to set the number of exposures that will be taken, up to a total 99. If you set it to 3 exposures you can combine it with an EOS body's auto-bracketing capability.

thanks for the heads up..

and the wireless remote might be a useful addition at some point for other photography styles, family photos etc, stand with the crowd..

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:32 pm 

Quote:
Self Timer
Just like the self timer on your camera. Except where most Canon bodies offer either a 2 second delay or a 10 second delay, the TC-80N3 allows you to set any delay (in 1 second increments) up to 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds. Let's call it 100 hours. That's just over 4 days!

What situation would you need a delay of more than 10sec?

Quote:
Interval Timer
The Interval Timer can be set to any time period up to 100 hours as well. If you set it to 10 minutes, for example, one exposure will be taken every 10 minutes until either the film runs out or the Exposure Count limit has been reached.

For most of the time the card will run out sooner hence this is best achieved with a laptop connected & the canon remote capture software can do same too.

Quote:
Long Exposure
This one is easy. It allows you to take time exposures up to (you guessed it) 100 hours in length.

You will surely need guts to expose your digital sensor that longer. :D

Quote:
Exposure Count
This fourth and final setting permits you to set the number of exposures that will be taken, up to a total 99. If you set it to 3 exposures you can combine it with an EOS body's auto-bracketing capability.

If I set it to 5 exposure & set the AEB to 2 stop will it do a 5 shot each bracketed with 2 f/stop?
Most canon camera will do only 3 AEB with max 2 stop difference & this is already built into 40D so whats the use of this feature I don't understand?

TC-80N3 is actually an intervalometer with remote function where as what you want to do can be done with just a remote thats why I posted that link.
The choice is surely yours depending upon the feature you need.

Last edited by digipano on Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:57 pm 

the idea of using the tc-80n3 is so I dont have to babysit the camera, yes doing AEB can easly be done just using the cameras inbuilt functions and makes the use of any remote useless to a point. the wireless remote does trhe same as the camera, but from a distance of upto 100 feet (good for when camera on a lakeside, and im in the pub! :)) the benefit of the timer remote is I can do a sunset bracket'd over say 40 mins without having to worry about spending 40 mins in front of the camera or remembering to use a remote. its for convieance mostly.

whilst the camera is set up on a pole, tripod etc, i can continue to take other photos of the surrounding area at the same time.

in my day, I only get 24 hours, and including work, thats reduced another 9, then sleep... so as much as I can do in one afternoon at one location is only benefiting myself.

as for storage space, thats not really an issue, i have a few 16gig and few 8gig cf cards (as im out most afternoons snapping, raw soon eats away (as you know) at storage, they are cheap enough anyways (and a lot lighter than a laptop for an afternoon walk))

Quote:
What situation would you need a delay of more than 10sec?

For time lapse, say on a flower, sky over mountains etc.. imagination is the only limiting factor

Quote:
For most of the time the card will run out sooner hence this is best achieved with a laptop connected & the canon remote capture software can do same too.

storage is not a factor (remembering to put it in is :)) and the laptop is not always conveinant due to extra weight / bulk

:) long exposure not something I would use, just happens to be there

Quote:
Exposure Count

again can be used as the same as timer, sunset or sunrise, bracketed 60 mins 10 mins a bracket, makes for nice HDR timelapse or even a whole day http://www.hdrtimelapse.com/ and http://repositories.tdl.org/tdl/handle/1969.1/2408.

the videos do look stunning

Last edited by IDPlease on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:55 am 

There was a guy who used quicktime to show some harbor throughout the day. He just made a movie of exposures at different times. The timer comes in handy.

But the PC is more flexible. If you can afford a palmtop, that's a better way to go. Now if only Canon would come out with an application for my Treo phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:09 pm 

all advise / info supplied has been wisely used.

the addition of a timer remote only mirrors some of the operations via software / laptop but when im out in the field, the timer remote / camera batteries will outlast the laptops battery and less bulky.

laptop will obviously out perform the remotes when closer to home or specific goals I have set myself

the wireless remote is an addition I will surely use in most situations. macro and wildlife being one I can see me using the wireless.

so thanks to digipano for the wireless option and comments
and thanks to kankkarl for the info on the short cable suppied with the timer remote.

the sizes and price of both the remotes are small enough to warrent both (best of both worlds)