Making use of multi-core machines.  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
JimIscaro

Making use of multi-core machines.

by JimIscaro » Fri May 23, 2008 10:23 pm

I just gave myself a present of a Mac Pro with dual quad-core processors. I installed 10 gig of memory and 2 tbyte of disk space.
After trying the main program I use for work (Parallels/Win XP/ VB) I tried Autopano Pro. I have version 1.4.2 installed and made some pano's. I was a little disappointed. There was not much improvement in speed compared to my MacBook Pro. All my other programs fly in comparison. I ran Mac's activity monitor to watch what was happening and was surprised to see that only one core was being used in the detecting and blending for projection phase.

When I start the detecting process in 2 or 3 folders then 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) cores are in heavy use. I checked the preferences and APP detected the 8 cores. The only time the full potential of the machine seems to be used is in the rendering phase. Is there s switch or setting I should set?

Jim

no avatar
Ath

by Ath » Sat May 24, 2008 2:35 am

Not sure I can be of much help, but... I have two ideas.

Try having multiple-groups, instead of fewer, then detect them at the same time.

Grab a linux 64-bit live disc and burn it, get APP 1.4.2 for linux 64-bit (your license should be valid for linux version too i -think-), put it on a usb key + images etc, start linux of the disc, and give it a go, see if its the same.

Castillonis

by Castillonis » Tue May 27, 2008 12:39 am

You can never expect a machine to scale linearly with the number of processors. Programs must be written multi threaded to expoit whatever non data dependent operations exist for a problem. Whenever a data dependency exists your operations will be serialized and you must wait for the result.

I have noticed a significant increase in performance w/ my recent upgrade from a single core and 1.5 GB of memory to a four core phenom (2.4 GHz / L1 256kb data / L2 2MB / shared L3 2MB) with 3GB (2x512 MB and 2x1GB) of system memory on two channels. I am thinking about adding a Linux partition and adding increasing the amount of memory. My OS Windows XP pro is limited to 3GB as 2GB user space plus 1GB kernel space.

I was thinking that more memory would make a significant difference. My current system would limit me to 8GB of total memory.
Last edited by Castillonis on Tue May 27, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
orland

by orland » Tue May 27, 2008 9:45 pm

JimIscaro wrote:I just gave myself a present of a Mac Pro with dual quad-core processors. I installed 10 gig of memory and 2 tbyte of disk space.
After trying the main program I use for work (Parallels/Win XP/ VB) I tried Autopano Pro. I have version 1.4.2 installed and made some pano's. I was a little disappointed. There was not much improvement in speed compared to my MacBook Pro. All my other programs fly in comparison. I ran Mac's activity monitor to watch what was happening and was surprised to see that only one core was being used in the detecting and blending for projection phase.

When I start the detecting process in 2 or 3 folders then 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) cores are in heavy use. I checked the preferences and APP detected the 8 cores. The only time the full potential of the machine seems to be used is in the rendering phase. Is there s switch or setting I should set?

Jim

I'm having the exact same issue but I'm working in a windows environment. Have you found a solution yet?

no avatar
foundation

by foundation » Wed May 28, 2008 12:15 am

I found when I raised the cache setting on my machine to 5gb it was able to take much more advantage of the 8 cores. I also find it can use more cpu when it's detecting files off a raid rather than a single machine (seems to be waiting on the disks for reading in raw files)

no avatar
JimIscaro

by JimIscaro » Wed May 28, 2008 2:22 pm

I ren some tests between my Macbook Pro and the Mac Pro that I was concerned about. I used PTGui v8 beta 3 against Autopano 1.4.2.

In both cases I set the programs to create a 16bit tiff with no compression, and no adjustments to exposure correction or fusion. Then I converted the two tiff's to qtvr for a side by side comparison. The quality difference goes to Autopano by a slight (very slight) amount.

I ran the test 3 times for each machine and averaged the results. I used my iPod touch for timing as a stop watch so my reflexes would create an error of about +/- .5 sec. The times listed below are in min.sec.tenth sec. During the test the CPU usage for APP was an average of 9% on the 8 core mac, never more than 19%, with the exception of the rendering process where it peaked at 87% for a short time. The CPU useage for PTGui averaged 80-99% most of the time. The exception is during the blending and exposure fusion where it dropped to 25-40%.

Macbook Pro Mac Pro
Process Average Time Average Time
Ptgui Align/Create control Pt. 0.45.7 0.25.5
Create Pano (render) 3.01.0 1.04.0

AutoPano Detect / Project 10.03.4 6.10.0
Render 7.05.3 1.19.0

APP showed the biggest improvement in times during the rendering where the full potential of the mac pro was used. Too bad that improvement can't be applied to the detection and control point generation times where PTGui is clearly the winner on both machines.

Jim

no avatar
Ath

by Ath » Wed May 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Hopefully this bottleneck in APP will be pinpointed and fixed..

no avatar
VRabbit

by VRabbit » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:10 pm

Is there a way to align, and create control points with PtGUI and once that is finished to export the file in a format that can be ran on AutoPano. Reason why I ask is I have used PTGUI a lot and I like how fast it can align images and I like how easy it is to add control points. It seems like AutoPano grabs to many control points even with the RMS set to not accept under 10 etc.. ( Not sure if that function really works). So best case scenario for a time wise point of view is to start alignment and stitching with PTGUI and then finish teh processing with AutoPano... I do feel AutoPano creates a way better finished product.. Especially with the interpolation options.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:21 pm

VRabbit wrote:Is there a way to align, and create control points with PtGUI and once that is finished to export the file in a format that can be ran on AutoPano. Reason why I ask is I have used PTGUI a lot and I like how fast it can align images and I like how easy it is to add control points. It seems like AutoPano grabs to many control points even with the RMS set to not accept under 10 etc.. ( Not sure if that function really works). So best case scenario for a time wise point of view is to start alignment and stitching with PTGUI and then finish teh processing with AutoPano... I do feel AutoPano creates a way better finished product.. Especially with the interpolation options.

The answer is yes, but IMO that is an absurd idea.

If you want to use Autopano Pro you will have 'forget' some things about how PTGui works because APP works quite differently - especially when detecting control points, for and editing CPs. Unlike PTGui is is not desirable to have as few CPs as possible with APP.

If you are shooting correctly using a decent pano head it is seldom necessary to edit automatically detected CPs anyway.

If you have set of images that you are having trouble stitching with APP perhaops you could upload to the Web somewhere we can access them and I'm sure there are several here who will be pleased to stitch them and advise you accordingly.
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
VRabbit

by VRabbit » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:25 am

Well I am glad to hear you say that it is absurb to do so. I have been spending a lot of time trying to fine tune this programs... I do feel it just takes time and the further I dig into it the more I am liking it. I am looking at getting a new pano head. I have a Rebel XTI camera. Any suggestions for a tripod and pano head.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:28 am

VRabbit wrote:Well I am glad to hear you say that it is absurb to do so. I have been spending a lot of time trying to fine tune this programs... I do feel it just takes time and the further I dig into it the more I am liking it. I am looking at getting a new pano head. I have a Rebel XTI camera. Any suggestions for a tripod and pano head.

What lenses do you plan to use on your XTi for pano shooting?

Do you have a pano head already? If so what make/model?

What type of panos do you plan to shoot? Partial panos - less that 36ox180 FOV? Or fullspehricals - 360x180 FOV? Interiors? Exteriors?

The Nodal Ninja pano heads are popular, very competitively priced and well regarded - htpp://www.nodalninja.com.

I am a bit puzzled by your feeling that you need to spend a lot of time 'fine tuning' APP. I found when I started that if you follow the normal guidelines for shooting technique for particular camera/lens comnbination, and use full manual camera settings, that I got pretty good resulst with the default values or APP settings.

I hope you have been using APP 1.4.2, and not the alpha versions of APG 1.9 as the latter is far from ready for prime time yet.
Last edited by mediavets on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Return to Hardware