Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:01 pm 

Hi,

Still not yet decided between those. (for D80)
I got in hand for a while 10.5mm (full frame image) but not sigma 8mm (drum image) to compare them.
With Sigma 8mm, I need less images (3 minimum may be 4 with nadir) to make a full spherical.
With 10.5, it's 8 images to get full sherical image. (6 + 1 (top) + 1 nadir)

What about quality in order to dispaly results in full HD : 1920*1080 ?

any advise may be from Mediavets ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:19 pm 

I'll respond from a personal perspective.

There is no single universal ideal pano setup for every type of pano shooting.

I had some experience of using old Nikon 995 and 5000 compact digital cameras with the Nikon FC-E8 FE convertor and WC-E63 and WC-E68 wide convertors on a Kaidan Kiwi pano head. All bought used at relatively low cost.

My goal when embarking on a DSLR-based system was solely to produce 360x180 interior and exterior panos of sufficient quality for fullscreen display at least cost compatible with minimum effort.

An expert whose opinion I respect advised a Canon 400D and the Sigma 8mm f3.5FE with the Agno's TCPshort or Nodal Ninja 3 pano heads and PTGui as a good allround pano setup - which would be a very good choice.

But....I chose the Nikon D40 as the cheapest 'good enough' DSLR - and also because I thought it would be fine (for me)for other types of photography - and I initially acquired the Nikkor 10.5mm fullframe on DX sensor FE because I felt that for many panos it would produce higher resolution results on my lowly 6MP DSLR but would do even better if I ever upgrade to another Nikon body.

Likewise I choose the Nodal Ninja 5 pano head because it would be capable of supporting just about any camera/lens combo I might ever consider using for any type of pano - at a reasonable cost. And chose APP Pro as the stitcher that best suited my needs, at a very resonable cost.

And the setup works fine; 6 around + 1 or 2 up/down - although I concede that it would 'nice' to have a camera that did auto bracketing in 2EV steps (a rare attribute) and supported a wired remote control.

But... then I felt that I wanted a FE lens that would allow me to shoot 360x180 panos with fewer shots in those situations where there were people and so on moving in the scene. Given the limited resolution of the 6MP DX sensor of my D40 the best option seemed to be the Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE. The Sunex and Sigma 4.5 FEs would require one less shot but were far too expensive for my taste and would not have achieved the pano resolution I wanted on a D40.

I'm only just getting to grips with the Sigma but initial results are much as I'd hoped and expected, shooting 4 around, plus 1 down if you must have a good nadir (something I'm not that bothered about).

AFAIK you can only (just about) achieve 360x180 coverage with the Sigma 8mm FE on a DX sensor body with 3 shots around if you use a pano head that will allow you to shoot with a roll of the camera/lens at 60 degrees, and perhaps small upward tilt, like the Agno's MrotatorC or RingT8S. But then overlaps are small and stitching can be a challenge sometimes and you will still usually have a small nadir hole if you get good zenith coverage.

I purchased the D40, Nikkor 10.5mm FE and Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE used - yes, I'm that 'cheap'!

So that was why I chose the gear I did, and I'm pretty satisfied with it at the moment, but then I'm still very much a novice with DSLR-based systems..

I also have a lightweight pano setup for 'snapshot' panos but that's another story with different motivations/goals.

As they say 'your mileage may vary'.

Last edited by mediavets on Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:40 pm 

Could somebody start a wiki page with the main fisheye solutions for panoramic photo?

Especially, it would be interesting to put a little picture to show what kind of image one obtains (circular or not) for each sensor type (full-frame, APS), field angle, and how many images are needed for 360°x180°...

Something like:
Code:
Lens                     Image type                Field angle        Nb images for 36°x180°     Screenshot
                         24x36      APS          24x36      APS            24x36      APS           24x36      APS
Nikkor 10.5       Circular  rectangular      xxx        yyy                4          6+2

Canon 20D + 17-40/f4 L USM + 70-200/f4 L USM + 50/f1.4 USM
Merlin/Orion panohead + Papywizard on Nokia N800 and HP TC-1100

Last edited by fma38 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:46 pm 

Just as a simple comparison - of my various camera/lens/panohead setups - not really valid when downsized?.

Here are some quick panos taken in rougly same location and conditions with:

1. Nikon D40 6MP, Nikkor 10.5mm fullframe FE, aperture priority f8, fine JPEG, Nodal Ninja 5, 6 shots around at 10 degrees down and one shot at 60 degrees up, auto CP detection, rendered at max. res. approx. 8400x4200, spline 36 and Smartblend.

2. Nikon P5100 at 5MP, Nikon FC-E8 cropped circular (when zoomed out a bit) FE convertor, full auto, fine JPEG, Bophoto pano bracket on monopod, 4 shots around, auto CP detection, rendered at max. res. approx. 4600x2300, spline 36 and Smartblend - could have shot at max of 12MP (or 8MP or 10MP) but forgot to change settings. Anyway I guess 5MP is closer to the 6MP of the D40.

3. Nikon D40 6MP, Sigma 8mm f3.5 cropped circular on DX sensor FE, aperture priority f5.6, fine JPEG, Nodal Ninja 5, 4 shots around at 5 degrees up, auto CP detection, rendered at max. res. approx. 6600x3300, spline 36 and Smartblend - shot later after changing detente ring in pano head; when sun was not bright!

4. Nikon D40 6MP, Sigma 8mm f3.5 cropped circular FE, aperture priority f5.6, fine JPEG, Nodal Ninja 5, 6 shots around at 5 degrees up, auto CP detection, rendered at max. res. approx. 6600x3300, spline 36 and Smartblend - 6 shots around because I was too lazy to change the detente ring in the pano head at the time.

All panos post-processed in Photobrush - levels adjusted a bit (without great care and with no attempt to match images), all downsized to 2000x1000 for posting on forum, sharpened a bit (unsharp mask), re-saved as JPEG.

Not sure this 'tells' one much. Note 'native' max. pano size difference when renedering relevant iof goal is fullscreen display as speherical. And that P5100/FC-E8/Bophoto combo does better than one might have expected especially as was on full auto settings and on a monopod.

Last edited by mediavets on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.