Anyone ever used one of these?  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
mediavets

Anyone ever used one of these?

by mediavets » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:57 am

Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:57 pm

klausesser wrote:

better take a leveling-plate from Manfrotto.
http://www.adorama.com/BG3502.html
or
http://www.adorama.com/BG3416.html

best, Klaus

Klaus,

Is Manfrotto better than the FLM?

About the same price - 50GBP in UK.

FLM can correct/level over wider range 15 degrees vs. 10 degrees.

FLM lighter- 220gm vs. 600gm.

I guess Manfrotto is always the 'safe' choice - that's the power of a leading international brand - but is it always the 'best' choice?

There are many small German engineering companies who seem to make very good stuff but are barely known, at least outside their home market. Novoflex springs to mind.

I am sure the same is true for other countries too.

Sometimes more obscure products/brands can be as good or better in my experience. For example, the Bophoto pano bracket for my FC-E8 is really excellent and was about half the price of the nearest comparable product. And I just bought an Alptech branded Photo Hiker pole - http://www.alptech-outdoors.co.uk/page2.html - for use as a lightweight monopod - at about half the price of a similar item from Leki, Trailwise or Mountain King.

Similarly I have used Convision - www.convision.de - video/camera servers that seem to me to be far superior to the better known products from Axis, but which are barely known or sold outside Germany.

Andrew
Last edited by mediavets on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi Andrew!

Yes - there always are alternative products. I know Novoflex quite well - it´s too expensive and does not more as Manfrotto does. But it may look nicer . . ;)

Manfrotto´s advantage is - among others - a world wide service and availability of accessories of nearly all kind of needs. Good stability at a price which is ok.

The two level-plates i´m quite sure are the widest spread devices of that kind among panoramists. That means something . . :cool: And i never came to their boundaries. You´ll never need more than 15deg. to level - if you have a good tripod.

I myself would never again rely on "exotic" products (i did sometimes before)- you may find yourself in a place where nobody knows it or has spare parts top repair it. Or accessoiries to add if you need it.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
hankkarl

by hankkarl » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:48 pm

The Manfrotto 3416 is easy to adjust precisely with the camera and a panohead on it. The ball heads are nice, but it may be difficult to get the camera perfectly level.

And if I need more than 5 degrees of adjustment, I'll play with the tripod legs.

no avatar
Warren Sarle

by Warren Sarle » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:24 am

If you want to level very precisely, a tribrach is the way to go. The one from Manfrotto is fine. As hankkarl says, the ball-type bases are hard to level accurately.

If you don't need to level precisely, then anything works. Just get the cheapest thing that doesn't wobble.

DrSlony

by DrSlony » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:58 am

Um, assuming you're not overflowing with cash (if you are contact me ASAP), why would you need something in panography that costs 50 pounds to level the camera precisely when first of all you can do it quite well using the tripod and head, second of all many buildings aren't levelled well anyway and so thirdly you will later level the pano in APP anyway?

Return to Hardware