Ricoh Theta M15 360-degree spherical camera with video  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Ricoh Theta M15 360-degree spherical camera with video

by mediavets » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:24 pm

Ricoh Theta M15 360-degree spherical camera with video:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/124476 ... -recording

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: Ricoh Theta M15 360-degree spherical camera with video

by Destiny » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Well, I said it had to happen, in fact it needed to happen.. No way I would have paid $$$ asking price of their still image version with yucky image quality.. With 360 video, they can get away with more with the NPP.. I think they need to make a triangular version with 3 lenses.. that might fix issues.. or even a square version.. I guess if you have the money, and can afford to buy one, then go for it.. As long as the quality is good to very good... Doubt if its excellent.. For me, I will wait until its Excellent.. LOL....

The problem is, at the moment there are not too many options. There is the 360Cam but that seems to be taking for ever to arrive.. They have taken mega heaps of $$$$$ from people who have to wait.. and wait.. and wait.. Not so convinced that their HDR is actually HDR.. But I guess we will see soon.. for the money they are asking, i would have waited for the reviews before buying... Bit silly in my opinion to buy one at that price on spec..

Destiny...

Christian Stüben

Liked in: 9 posts
Info

by Christian Stüben » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:31 am

mediavets wrote:Ricoh Theta M15 360-degree spherical camera with video

Great news. And ... do you already have tested if the new ricoh theta m15 videos can be imported into your autopano video software?

greetings fom germany
Chris

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:46 am

I was thinking of you Chris when Andrew posted this.. Pity you buy the still image version. Just a few months and you could have had the Video option.. I will wait since I still think its far too expensive and the quality is not there yet.. I am sure a third lens would make all the difference..

Destiny..

Christian Stüben

Info

by Christian Stüben » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 am

Destiny wrote:... Pity you buy the still image version ...

Pity? No pity. I didn´t buy yet. Yes, i have been all the time in strong temptation to satisfy my craving, but i resisted ;-)

Until now, i am still in "decision phase" between theta and 360cam. Do you have some example pictures from the 360cam?

The big advantage of the theta is ... sdk announced, cheapness (my budget is very limited)
the big advantage of the 360 is ... splashproof/waterproof.

greetings from germany
Chris

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:19 am

Hey.. Just found this.. The quality is very good but.. its not interactive 360 video. I am wondering if two back to back will produce a single 360 image or video.... I think this is very exciting technology...

http://kodakpixpro.com/Americas/cameras ... /sp360.php

Destiny...

Christian Stüben

Info

by Christian Stüben » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:32 am

Yes, the kodak looks great. But with great probability the kodak will not be my favorite, because for making videos i need two of them, mount them in a theta-style (oops, very big nodal problems), and pay for two of them.

For making stills you simply have to mount it on a rotating head with click stops every 180 (better 120) degrees. But this i already can do with my dslr and my fisheye lens, so there is no need for.

greetings from germany

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:56 am

Yes Chris.. I think I would like to play with one to see how well they stitch the images. I think it might be a nice little starter. But I have been wanting a one shot option so that is why I was thinking joining two together but... $$$$ Probably not worth bothering.. It still seems to be much better quality than the Ricoh Theta. I feel that this unit has long way to go as far as quality..

Destiny..

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:23 am

Just been checking out the reviews on the new Ricoh Theta M15.. It certainly beginning to meet the criteria for affordability at about $364 Aus, 250 Euro.. I have not been able to find many video demos but those I have seen I am not really that impressed with.. This unit does not seem to coup too well with the different variations of light outside. I cannot find one captured in doors.. The original Ricoh Theta was just a single shot and way over priced.. I guess its hard to cram high end technology into a small unit.. There are other options on the way way with the 360cam so only time will tell how that performs against the Ricoh Theta.. It has 3 lenses so the quality should be better.. I am still convinced that the Ricoh Theta should be a triangular body with an extra lens. That might remove the poor stitching and improve the quality..

The 360cam will be available very soon to those who invested in the Kickstarter.. Going by the past with Giroptics, to be honest I was not about to invest any money with them. But many have so it seems they were more optimistic.. I am really busting to see the results. Deep down I would like to see something special..

Destiny..

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:27 pm

some Videos for the 360cam can be found here:
http://www.360.tv/home
but... the Videos are taken with sensors they no longer use (because of WB/eems issues). Last update from Nov.18 they say the new sensors are Fixing These issues and they start to assemle the first 100 cams. Currently "my cam" is currently 2 months in delay.... I expect it until end of January. I will post some Videos than....
(I pledges mine for 329$, the retail after Kickstarter is 499$)
Liebe Grüße,
Georg

no avatar
Morgan

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Morgan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:18 am

Hello Georg,

Do you have any examples to show?

Thanks.

Morgan

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:28 am

Me too.. I was just looking at that yesterday.. Seems to be painfully slow in coming.. So many have purchased this unit with no actual unit in their hand..

I wonder if its too late to cancel an oder if the first reviews are not good.. :rolleyes: I guess the laws in France would abide by international law since they are exporting their product around the world. So the consumers would be protected if the unit turned out to be a dud..

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be another GiroCan.. I have asked for a test unit but it seems that the Kick Starters have first dibs on it..

Destiny...

no avatar
Morgan

Info

by Morgan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:11 am

Giroptics has been supported by a huge group which is far beyond your imagination in term of assets and financial power. I really don't understand (and don't have time to investigate nor interest) what's happened with them.
The latest 360 cam from giroptics seems to have restarted from scratch, maybe the French group has decided to stop the money injection due to lack of interest for this market. Then, they are now in USA hosted by a startup hub Rocketspace.
I hope their product is not just a demo that will never come to the market...

Destiny as you may know now I'm not looking for those products for fun or leisure. After all, this camera will disappoint me for sure as the quality will be, at most, a little bit better than the Theta.
The theta has a real interest to me as we have created a bundle service platform to sell this product to property agent. They take pictures easily with a tiny device that can store more than 1200 panos. Then, they come on our web e-commerce platform and they build their own VT in few seconds. Then it's hosted on our platform which is simple and easy for them. The quality is not a problem as long as you keep a small size to play the VT. And as the VT is just to advertise a flat for sell or rent it's ok for that purpose.

Sincerely.

Morgan

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:25 am

Hi Morgan.. I have been following the Tamaggo for a long time.. It seemed to die off but then come back different.. I do not know where they are at now.. The quality of the video seems good but its not 360... The price was supposed to be no more than $100.. I need to contact them to find out how its going.. They promised to let me know but I have heard nothing from them.. Some of the demos don't even work.. Not sure why..

http://www.tamaggo.com/en

For me, I personally would not spend $500 on the 360cam.. It seem to be very expensive but its still a lot cheaper than the old GiroCam at over a $1000. I had friend who bought one and feels really let down by the company.. As a consequence he will never buy from Giro Optics ever again.. I guess they have some bridges to mend..

Destiny..

no avatar
Morgan

Info

by Morgan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:46 am

Destiny,

I've registered my email for centuries too but no answer.

Anyway it's still products for fun, not for make a professional grade pano. It's not bad, it's just to be fair with the product and not expect too much. I know you agree :-)

Sincerely

Morgan

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:09 am

yep... I am certain a real alternative will come soon.. That is why I will not wast my time with the Ricoh or the 360cam or any another product around this price for still lacking in output quality.. With new technology will come a better product at a better price.. If I spend money now, I will not have the money for later.. and even if I did buy now, I am sure all I would end up doing is supporting a product that is not up to the task and turn it into an expensive door stop without getting any real value out of it.. My personal feeling is that the Ricoh Theta would be the better option over the 360cam since the company behind it is much more trustworthy with a reputation of producing better products.. In saying that, I would not buy the Ricoh either until the quality was greatly improved.. But I think they have made a great leap forward in reducing the price from the first model.. So they are on track in many ways...As soon as the quality improves, their sales will boom as long as they keep their price down.... They need to do that before some other mob release something better otherwise the Ricoh will go the way of the Dodo..

Destiny...