Promote Control problem ...  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Promote Control problem ...

by mediavets » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:36 am

Using a Promote Control with a Nikon D40 to shoot bracketed exposures - the D40 has no AEB capability at all - I find that if I set, say, 5 brackets then sometimes it will shoot only 4; or if I set 7 brackets then sometimes it will shoot only 6.

It means I have to count the exposures and repeat if it shoots too few, and it takes a while to sort out the image set later before stitching.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so do you have a solution?

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 228 posts
Info

Re: Promote Control problem ...

by Destiny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:38 am

Andrew, it might be doing that if the EV is outside of the cameras possible range.. No matter if you are using Promote control or not.. If I use my VR Drive to capture bracketed shots, if the rang is outside of my D800 EV range, I can see that shot in the RED with my VR Drive. Telling me that the shot is physically impossible for the camera to shoot.. I would suggest that this is your issue... If you lower or higher the base EV, you might find that the entire number of shots are available to be shot..

Destiny...

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:55 am

Destiny wrote:Andrew, it might be doing that if the EV is outside of the cameras possible range.. No matter if you are using Promote control or not.. If I use my VR Drive to capture bracketed shots, if the rang is outside of my D800 EV range, I can see that shot in the RED with my VR Drive. Telling me that the shot is physically impossible for the camera to shoot.. I would suggest that this is your issue... If you lower or higher the base EV, you might find that the entire number of shots are available to be shot..

Destiny...

I don't think so because it is set to shoot the same range/set of exposures each time (at each shooting position) and sometimes it shoots 5 (as set) but sometimes 4, or 7 (as set) but sometimes 6.

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:53 am

mediavets wrote:Using a Promote Control with a Nikon D40 to shoot bracketed exposures - the D40 has no AEB capability at all - I find that if I set, say, 5 brackets then sometimes it will shoot only 4; or if I set 7 brackets then sometimes it will shoot only 6.

It means I have to count the exposures and repeat if it shoots too few, and it takes a while to sort out the image set later before stitching.

You don´t have that constantly? I mean: sometimes 5, sometimes 4 in a set of panoshots?

Might be the response from the camera? You can set response-times in the PrMo prefs for matching a camera´s needs. I don´t know the D40 - but IF ProMo accepts the camera at all it must run correctly. Might also be an USB-cable issue? Do you use only USB or do you use USB+shuttercable?

Did you check the handbook for optimal settings?

I naver had the issue neither with my D800 nor with the 5D2/3.

Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:15 am

Destiny wrote:Andrew, it might be doing that if the EV is outside of the cameras possible range.. No matter if you are using Promote control or not.. If I use my VR Drive to capture bracketed shots, if the rang is outside of my D800 EV range, I can see that shot in the RED with my VR Drive. Telling me that the shot is physically impossible for the camera to shoot.. I would suggest that this is your issue... If you lower or higher the base EV, you might find that the entire number of shots are available to be shot..

Destiny...

That´s why the use of a PromoteControl is preferable in my eyes. It doesn´t care about the EV capabilities of your camera at all - just overrules them.
Maybe the VR2 doesn´t do that in the same way. Which cable do you use for this purpose?

Klaus

As i read the HDR-upgrade for the VR2 costs around 800.-€ . . . .
A PromoteControl costs around 380.-€ . . . . . and provides additional features.
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:43 am

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:Using a Promote Control with a Nikon D40 to shoot bracketed exposures - the D40 has no AEB capability at all - I find that if I set, say, 5 brackets then sometimes it will shoot only 4; or if I set 7 brackets then sometimes it will shoot only 6.

You don´t have that constantly? I mean: sometimes 5, sometimes 4 in a set of panoshots?

I seem to, yes.

Might be the response from the camera? You can set response-times in the PrMo prefs for matching a camera´s needs.

OK - I'll look for that option.

I don´t know the D40 - but IF ProMo accepts the camera at all it must run correctly. Might also be an USB-cable issue? Do you use only USB or do you use USB+shuttercable?

D40 is listed as a supported camera. I use USB cable (as suplied) only - the D40 doesn't support a wired remote/shutter release.

Did you check the handbook for optimal settings?

I'll go through it again.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:54 am

mediavets wrote:I use USB cable (as suplied) only - the D40 doesn't support a wired remote/shutter release.

No problem regarding bracketing. I guess your issue is related to the Promote prefs settings.

Klaus

PS: did you check whether it´s a cable-issue?

no avatar
TRI60

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by TRI60 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:48 pm

I have the Gigapan Epic Pro and I also have the Promote Control. The Gigapan can also set for Bracketing. So what is the benefit of having Promote connected to tho Gigapan Epic Pro as well? My other question is how do I set things up with Promote and the Gigapan? Which cable goes in where?

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:19 pm

klausesser wrote:
mediavets wrote:I use USB cable (as suplied) only - the D40 doesn't support a wired remote/shutter release.

No problem regarding bracketing. I guess your issue is related to the Promote prefs settings.

Klaus

PS: did you check whether it´s a cable-issue?

It was, I needed to increase the USB frame delay. Thanks for the tip.

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:24 pm

TRI60 wrote:I have the Gigapan Epic Pro and I also have the Promote Control. The Gigapan can also set for Bracketing. So what is the benefit of having Promote connected to tho Gigapan Epic Pro as well?

I don't know how capable the bracketing function in the Gigapan pro is - I guess it depends on the AEB functionality of the camera?

But I doubt it's anywhere near as capable as a Promote Control.

My other question is how do I set things up with Promote and the Gigapan? Which cable goes in where?

You simply connect the Promote Control inline, so the cable form the robotic pano head that would normally go to the camera is replaced by a cable that connects the pano head to the promote Control, then you have one or two cable from the Promote Control to the camera.

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:59 pm

hi to every one I have that problem with my D800 with bracketing and in my case its to slow memory cards ,I know the file sizes are a lot different between D800 and D40 but its just a thought cheers rolly1

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 pm

rolly1 wrote:hi to every one I have that problem with my D800 with bracketing and in my case its to slow memory cards ,I know the file sizes are a lot different between D800 and D40 but its just a thought cheers rolly1

????

The speed of the memory cards unlikely causes this issue. The D800´s buffer is big enough as long as you do not use very old and worn-out cards.
Can you tell about your settings? How much steps do you use? 5, 7 or 9? Do you use a PromoteControl for shooting more steps and/or wider spread EV?

Klaus

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:55 pm

hi Klaus yes in my case it is the memory cards the fastest one is 60mb/s and the sd card is 45 mb/s , I have trouble with 7 and 9 shot bkting on nodal ninja NN5 and the 2 shot hdr setting in camera on panogear robot with it missing shots ,I hope to get 2 x 32 gig 100 mb/s or faster cards one day ,I had planed on getting a promotecontrol but it still cannot do focus stacking on Nikon cameras so I am looking at the CamRanger to work with my Ipad anyone know if CamRanger will work with panogear robot can you connect both at the same time ,or any problems ( glad d40 problem sorted out ) cheers Rolly1

no avatar
mediavets

Topic author
Info

by mediavets » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:15 pm

rolly1 wrote:hi Klaus yes in my case it is the memory cards the fastest one is 60mb/s and the sd card is 45 mb/s , I have trouble with 7 and 9 shot bkting on nodal ninja NN5 and the 2 shot hdr setting in camera on panogear robot with it missing shots ,I hope to get 2 x 32 gig 100 mb/s or faster cards one day ,I had planed on getting a promotecontrol but it still cannot do focus stacking on Nikon cameras so I am looking at the CamRanger to work with my Ipad anyone know if CamRanger will work with panogear robot can you connect both at the same time ,or any problems ( glad d40 problem sorted out ) cheers Rolly1

What are you using to control you Panogear robot.

If you are using Papywizard you should be able to configure the shooting/shutter parameters so that it can cope with your memory cards.

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:36 pm

hi I am using the touch control panel ,works ok on nef files bkting 5 ,7,or 9 shot slow compared with NN5, start to push it with manual speed or as I said in camera hdr and misses shots cheers rolly1

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:22 pm

rolly1 wrote:hi I am using the touch control panel ,works ok on nef files bkting 5 ,7,or 9 shot slow compared with NN5, start to push it with manual speed or as I said in camera hdr and misses shots cheers rolly1

Use "single shot" and set the T&C to only ONE exposure per bracket. Then you can set the "wait" time between the brackets as long as you want or need.
No card on earth is too slow for that.

Klaus