Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Re: Ricoh Theta Images
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:43 pm 

Well, if Ricoh wants to throw a camera my way to test, I will be happy to.. I will test it against my D800 with 10.5 which is as close as I can get to your tests.. Oh, and if they do provide a tester, don't forget the pole with cute tripod.. =D X 2, one set for Andrew.. hahhahaha He can test its against his D40..

Destiny...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 pm 

AlexandreJ wrote:
Interesting feedbacks.

Depending on the reader, some people found theta is great, other find it ridiculous.
We tried to have the most unbiased comparison between dslr and theta. This was the only aim with that.
* Photographers will probably always choose DSLR as it is the way to go for good quality. Nevertheless, it has a learning curve.
* Real estate agent that just want to show quickly their goods will probably always choose the theta. Because it is easy and cheap.

The comparison was about that, help you to find the right tool for your type of use.

My point was that the DSLR/lens combination chosen for comparison was 'silly', unrealistic, unnecessarily costly, and the price stated was not correct as far as I can see.

If you wish to make such a comparison at least make it realistic and accurate.

I doubt UK real estate agents will ever bother with panoramas and tours for typical low end and mid range properties.

They typically use 'aggregate' sites - I think in the US these are called multiple listing sites - which present properties from many agents - and AFAIK none of these supports PT/krpano tours directly.

They were not persuaded to invest in decent photo images when the market was in slump in recent years. Now there's a property boom and sales are easy they are even less likely to invest. I think UK real estate agents operate on much lower fees that those in many other European countries; 1-2% of sale price achieved, charged to the seller.

And the typical UK estate agent would struggle (even) with a Theta on a monopod. And we know that the Theta is better used outdoors than in.

And who is going to create the tours?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:26 pm 

I have the Theta since it came out last year. It has gone through several firmware updates and compared to the first pictures I got out of it quality has improved. If I have a client who is willing to pay for the better quality you get out of a DSLR I use it. I think about 75% of the clients don't want the extra quality. The Theta gives you also basic HDR functionality if you shoot your panorama with different settings of the automatic exposure. I don't use the panoramas out of the iPad. I import the panoramas directly out of the camera into lightroom 5. Anyway the Theta gives far better results than the tree lens camera once featured on the Kolor site.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:37 pm 

spherorama wrote:
I have the Theta since it came out last year. It has gone through several firmware updates and compared to the first pictures I got out of it quality has improved. If I have a client who is willing to pay for the better quality you get out of a DSLR I use it. I think about 75% of the clients don't want the extra quality. The Theta gives you also basic HDR functionality if you shoot your panorama with different settings of the automatic exposure. I don't use the panoramas out of the iPad. I import the panoramas directly out of the camera into lightroom 5. Anyway the Theta gives far better results than the tree lens camera once featured on the Kolor site.

How does oen make different exposures with auto exposure?

I suggest that your more sophisticated workflow is not likely to appeal to the 'average' real estate agent.

How much less time is involved - setup-shooting-through-stitching and rendering - with the Thete and your DSLR setu.

How much less do you charge when shooting with the Theta?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:11 pm 

mediavets ,this is certainly true. The exposure is changed quite fast. In the iOS app for the Theta is a slider allowing you to darken and lighten the panorama. So i cut a slice of paper and taped it under the slider on my iPad. With a pencil I put several marks on it, indicating the positions where I put the slider. Doing so I get the same settings for all the HDR shots. See image below.
If I do sphericals with the Theta postproduction requires less intense work. You certainly have no stitching and the small footprint is easy to cancel. So it is only fair if I charge 40% less. Some clients like to pay on a per hour basis. It is clear that they also have an advantage, because you can do more panos at the same time. And don't forget that the Theta, being so compact allows you to wonderful shots in the minibar of a hotel room. There are many possibilities.

I also found some technical info about the sensor alignment inside the Theta.

Attachments:
File comment: technical drawing of the Thetas sensor alignment
Theta-Sensors-Sceme.jpg
Theta-Sensors-Sceme.jpg [ 31.29 KiB | Viewed 324 times ]
SAM_3303.JPG
SAM_3303.JPG [ 165.9 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:35 am 

Just found something interesting and promising on the web. There seems to be a hack to access the Theta from a pc or mac via wifi or usb.
http://mimosa-pudica.net/ricoh-theta.html