Best 360 Video Options..  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
Destiny

Re: Best 360 Video Options..

by Destiny » Mon May 26, 2014 12:03 pm

I totally agree... A "Toy" Something for fun.. However.. Its the price i object to.. I feel that this camera is edging towards the serious amateur price range... As such the quality of image would need to match the price...

Destiny...

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon May 26, 2014 12:37 pm

Destiny wrote:I totally agree... A "Toy" Something for fun.. However.. Its the price i object to.. I feel that this camera is edging towards the serious amateur price range... As such the quality of image would need to match the price...

Destiny...

I suspect that we are more likely to see the price of such devices come down to match the current image quality, than we are to see the image quality increase to match the (current) price.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon May 26, 2014 12:41 pm

mediavets wrote:
Destiny wrote:I totally agree... A "Toy" Something for fun.. However.. Its the price i object to.. I feel that this camera is edging towards the serious amateur price range... As such the quality of image would need to match the price...

Destiny...

I suspect that we are more likely to see the price of such devices come down to match the current image quality, than we are to see the image quality increase to match the (current) price.

Right! :cool:

Klaus

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Tue May 27, 2014 2:20 pm

was the geonaute 360" cam mentioned before?
400€ 3x150" cams 8mP each
not perfect stitch, seems also autoWB but better than others I think...

http://www.geonaute.com/

Georg

Destiny

by Destiny » Tue May 27, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi Georg...

I do not thing that Gironaute is current.. Not sure.. Girioptics has a new 360cam .... Just lanched.. Its better than the GiroCAM in many ways.. The nadir and the price.... I have asked for a demo unit to test.. They said give them a few weeks and it might be possible...

http://www.360.tv/home

Destiny...

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Destiny wrote:Hi Georg...

I do not thing that Gironaute is current.. Not sure.. Girioptics has a new 360cam .... Just lanched.. Its better than the GiroCAM in many ways.. The nadir and the price.... I have asked for a demo unit to test.. They said give them a few weeks and it might be possible...

http://www.360.tv/home

Destiny...

thanks for info. ok Looks one step Forward...next gen device, smaller, more fov, less Errors. could be perfect for my upcoming drone ;-).
Be Aware. currently I ba(c)ked 3 Kickstarter Projects, non is on schedule. 1-12 months delay should be planned with...

Destiny

by Destiny » Tue May 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Georg... When you invest in a Kickstarter Project, does that mean you own part of the project.. How does it work.. Is it like an investment.. Take a risk if it fails that it but if it takes off you win...

Destiny..

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Tue May 27, 2014 11:01 pm

Destiny wrote:Georg... When you invest in a Kickstarter Project, does that mean you own part of the project.. How does it work.. Is it like an investment.. Take a risk if it fails that it but if it takes off you win...

Destiny..

finally you take the risk if you back a Project.
Some days after Project successfully Close the Money is transferred to Kickstarter.
(so in july you pay the Money and in November - if you're lucky - you get a well working product)
there are rules when Kickstarter does Transfer the Money to the Project. (have no Details for that)
if in any case the Project would fail, you cant blame Kickstarter, you've to hire a lawyer to get Money back...

in concrete case we know giroptic with the old flop product (http://www.girocam.com/)
so what can we expect for Support & Quality? so doubts in this case should be wise...

Georg

Destiny

by Destiny » Tue May 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Well yes Georg.. Investor or buyer beware due to the past flops.... I had a few emails from buyers of the that GiroCAM very unhappy about the product and the total lack of support and since it cost over $2000 it was not cheap.. I have already told Giropotic people have along memories and this would be the last opportunity for them to shine... Even if buyers of their new unit only spend $249, its still $249 so it needs to work as advertised and customer support needs to be forthcoming and quick.. One thing is certain.. They will never get and another opportunity if this new unit turns out to be a dud.. I really hope it turns out to be worthwhile unit.. I would really like to test one out.. Since it has HD, it should reduce the blow out of white light and also work better in low light therefore reducing the noise in the image...

Their idea of attaching a light bulb screw to the end is not a new idea.. I remember seeing something like it a few years ago on the TV.. It was not a stand-a-lone 360 camera, just a security cameras.. It was on a USA TV programme where buyers were organising some class action to sue the mob since their units were linked to many house fires.. Not suggesting that this new 360cam will do the same though..

Destiny..

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed May 28, 2014 11:09 am

Destiny wrote:Since it has HD, it should reduce the blow out of white light and also work better in low light therefore reducing the noise in the image...

Has nothing to do with HD.

Destiny wrote:Their idea of attaching a light bulb screw to the end is not a new idea.. I remember seeing something like it a few years ago on the TV.. It was not a stand-a-lone 360 camera, just a security cameras.. It was on a USA TV programme where buyers were organising some class action to sue the mob since their units were linked to many house fires.. Not suggesting that this new 360cam will do the same though..

?????

Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Wed May 28, 2014 11:35 am

:rolleyes:

PS...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:
Destiny wrote:Since it has HD, it should reduce the blow out of white light and also work better in low light therefore reducing the noise in the image...

Destiny wrote:Their idea of attaching a light bulb screw to the end is not a new idea.. I remember seeing something like it a few years ago on the TV.. It was not a stand-a-lone 360 camera, just a security cameras.. It was on a USA TV programme where buyers were organising some class action to sue the mob since their units were linked to many house fires.. Not suggesting that this new 360cam will do the same though..

?????

Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Thu May 29, 2014 10:36 am

I agree.. Really nice slogan.. Its just a pity that the Theta does not meet that standard in its image output...... :rolleyes:

https://theta360.com/en/

I have nothing against this unit, apart from the huge price and the images quality..... I think it would be a nice fun Toy.. For $600++ its only a still pano image of poor quality..

What it needs is..

HDR..
360 Video..
MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper.... To me its way over price for what it does.... and the quality of output.. well.. :rolleyes:

Destiny..
Attachments
Beauty.jpg

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Thu May 29, 2014 11:27 am

Destiny wrote::rolleyes:

PS...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:

?????

Klaus

?????????

Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:13 am

Destiny

by Destiny » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:33 am

Yes.. Its very interesting.. When the first GiroCAM was launched I really wanted one and so did many others.. But then came the price.. Way over on that one.. Those that took the plunge were burnt badly.. It did not perform and the custom service as reported by those that emailed me was none existing..

I sure hope this all new unit turns out to be a real alternative and lives up to the advertising... It certainly seems to be very adaptable and has just about everything.. I think the only thing I fought was missing was being shock resistant..

The price of the 360cam is very doing and seems good value for money.. I really want to test one and if any good I would buy it for sure.. The fact it can capture 360 Video and Stills in HD is a real step in the right direction..

One thing is for certain.. If this unit turns out to be a dud, Giroptics I would suggest, would struggle heaps to launch any other new product..

Kolor must still have faith since they are supporting the software side..

Destiny...

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:56 pm

Destiny wrote:Well.. As I have said in the past many times.. New innovations in the 360 are being developed, its just a matter of time before something worthwhile comes along.. This unit apparently is not a fake, its been tested in stealth ......

I feel exciting new Hardware is begin developed by many companies.. This head can soot 3D Video too.. Made for the Oculus Rift among other things...

Very exciting..

Destiny..

look at an old well known Project, now revisted:

now:
http://www.panono.com/ballcamera/
the original 2 years ago (and new Version):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8xjXqC9m2A

108MP panoresolution (36*3MP)
300gramm wheight, so acceptable for copters like coming Walkera TALI H500
(http://www.fpvguy.com/2014/05/walkera-g ... .html#more)

(so for less than 2000$ for complete Walkera System inclusive cam, fpv, copter etc.) plus 600$ for the Panono not so bad ;-)) )

Georg

uups: Images only? no Video...

Destiny

by Destiny » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:59 am

Hi Georg...

There are a few 360 Ball camera, none of which excite me...

I checked out the Bubble Cam too but the quality is yuck...

Lots of those Giro Copters coming onto the market too.. I must admit I would like to have one with a camera mounted.. I really like the Phantom new version..

Destiny

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:01 am

Destiny wrote:Hi Georg...

There are a few 360 Ball camera, none of which excite me...

I checked out the Bubble Cam too but the quality is yuck...

Lots of those Giro Copters coming onto the market too.. I must admit I would like to have one with a camera mounted.. I really like the Phantom new version..

Destiny

Phantom new Version....
if you Focus on Video creating with drones... I would use one drone where the FPV (Flight per View) in already implemented so you can see live what the drone is filming. There're dozens of sets already available for similar amount of Money, but you spend an impressive amount of time building up your system. What me attracks on the Walkera H500 set is that all is included, FPV inclusive the Monitor built in the remote control, the camera is included, the landing gear is movable so if needed you can lift them away during flying, not only gopro cams can be used, so also for 360video Equipment or middle wheight DSLRs (I doubt a Canon 5DMk3 or Nikon D800 can be lifted), the Software Features like automatically flying circles around GPS coordinated etc...

Georg

ATXcloud

by ATXcloud » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:09 pm

DJI s800 evo is what we used for this flight: Link

It's able to carry DSLRs, bonus shock absorbing mounting plate for image stabilization from propeller vibration. A options of camera rigs for FpV available. However, the pilot has a policy of never flying beyond is eye line of vision.
Howdy from Deep in the Heart of Texas!

Destiny

by Destiny » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:19 am

Well, No response from Giroptic since it was suggested that a demo unit might be available for testing.. The CEO suggested that one might be available in a month or so.. Well.. its been about 3 months now and no response so perhaps there are issues.. One thing I do not get.. During the advertised Kick Starter, and stated in interview comments, this new 360cam was to be sold for $249... But.. now it seems they are taking orders where it now cost $499, which is way more, double in fact.. Also, they have been taking orders for months but its suggested not to be available until December... So Giroptics gets to keep your money for months.. http://www.360.tv/order

Also what I do not get, they have reached their funding and surpassed it by 946% but are still taking pledges.. Does that not sound a bit strange... Almost 1.5 million pledged.. http://www.giroptic.com

Only time will tell if this unit lives up to its promises.. I have many uses for a One Shot Video/Pano unit but.. only if the quality is acceptable..

Destiny..

http://www.360.tv/order

Destiny wrote:Hey..

I had a response from Giroptic regarding testing out their new 360 Video Unit... It seems it might be possible in a month or so... Apparently there are not enough units available at the moment... Well, it is a new unit so I can understand that... I will check back in a month..

I never had a response from Eye Mirror so I would consider that to be a NO.. Typical.. I had high expectations that their GP Mirror lens would be better than any of the other One Shot Mirror lenses I tested but... I personally would not buy anything if all I had to go by was the actual manufactures webs site... Hardware like this really needs independent reviews....

Destiny..

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi Destiniy,

i backed the 360cam on kickstarter.
also on other projects i backed it hppened that after funding phase closed the projects do take further preorders on their homepages (but no longer on kickstasrter). in some rare cases the price than is the same as last (highest) possible kickstarter pledge, most projects raise price. if the >400$ price is worth it wil show the final product. on other side the >200$ price on kickstarter is also a risk.

as example I did preorder the cructure sensor from structure.io i found on kickstarter after campain closed. I will get min during next month after all kickstarter pledged are fullfilled...

liebe Grüße
Georg
(ps writing from my apple device, nice iPad mini retina ;-))

Destiny

by Destiny » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks for that info George.. Perhaps I should have backed it too.. Just to get a 360cam cheaper.. No way I would pay $500 for it.. Not without knowing its a workable product partially after the last 360 cam Giroptics produced..

I really look forward to hearing your review on the 360cam George.. I really want it to work since I have project I could use it for but not if its output is of low quality..

Destiny..

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:08 pm

about this device: http://www.kolor.com/buy/nc-tech-istar. ... re=default

I just wonder. 4800+€ excl.VAT.
4 x 10MP sensors with a result of 50MP+ Image (how is that math possible ?)
a plugin in autopano to stitch...

so, was it a wrong decision to buy the device https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gi ... 360-camera for 329$ (currently available to order for 499$)?
;-))
(stitching embedded, no autopano needed; no uggly zeniths like in istar online example; smaller Nadir with only 3 instead of 4 lenses; 180gramm instead of 1.5kg+; but resulting pano only 8MP with 4096x2048 Pixels instead of the 4x10MP=50MP pano; I've to wait until nov.14 to get mine...)

Georg

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:21 pm

gkaefer wrote:about this device: http://www.kolor.com/buy/nc-tech-istar. ... re=default

I just wonder. 4800+€ excl.VAT.
4 x 10MP sensors with a result of 50MP+ Image (how is that math possible ?)
a plugin in autopano to stitch...

so, was it a wrong decision to buy the device https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gi ... 360-camera for 329$ (currently available to order for 499$)?
;-))
(stitching embedded, no autopano needed; no uggly zeniths like in istar online example; smaller Nadir with only 3 instead of 4 lenses; 180gramm instead of 1.5kg+; but resulting pano only 8MP with 4096x2048 Pixels instead of the 4x10MP=50MP pano; I've to wait until nov.14 to get mine...)

Georg

Hi Georg!

We saw "turnkey" systems come and go. No one of them worked really well as out of the box solution including a stitcher-app and all fully automatical AND for a reasonable price.

The only gadget which prevails is the GoPro with it´s rigs. Regarding the price/quality-relation it seems the optimal solution - also in terms of universality.

Fact is:
1) acceptable quality comes for a price. No way around that.
2) the question is: how important is to be able doing apherical video?

In my opinion regarding spherical photography = interactive panoramas/tours - the preferable way still is using a panoramic head and shooting sequential with a DSLR or a mirrorless camera.

Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi George..

Yes, that iStar unit is way over priced.. and it has huge ugly zenith.. About 2 years ago I made mention to this with Bill Bailey from Nodal Ninja since he sell them too.. He said its a more specialised camera.. I failed to understand that but there again I do not understand the cameras and have never used one.. I only really judge hardware on its output results and for me its not great partially for the huge price tag.. For the money, equivalent units for the price would be a LizardQ which is super quick.. Next the Dr Clauss perhaps.. But.. there are other cheaper options..

Don't forget.. The 360cam is really still a work in progress. There are no units to test if it actually works.. You might have bought a doughnut... Going by the last unit GiroOptics made for a huge price tag with yuck results, no one really knows how this new unit will perform yet.. I have asked for a demo unit to test but.. Still waiting..

I really hope this one does not turn out to be a doughnut since I have many uses for it.. but.. to be honest.. I would think twice or even three times at spending $500 which will be more in Aus $$.. However, if it does a good job.. it might be worth buying one.. But for me.. I will not buy one until I have road tested one or read a heap of positive reviews on it.. I certainly would not part with $500 for a pre-oder.. That so far works out to be over 1.5 million that GiroOptics has banked from pre-orders... No wonder they can afford to move into a huge big premisses.. You are one of many George who is paying their rent and other bills.. emmmmm

I am really looking forward to hearing from you with some reviews..

Destiny..

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware