Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:22 pm 

I have been editing a 1070 photo's large panorama during the last week and previewing takes long. Zooming in does speed up things but still I have to wait too long.

What is the best GPU-card at the moment, not only in speed, but also with decent sub 1000 euro price, to take things to a different level?
Is lots of GPU-ram still important with 384-bit-wide data-bus?

NVidea or AMD?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:33 pm 

I wanna hoook on with reminder to some more aspects currently unanswered:

about Memory speed:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5057&start=50#p135337

missing Support (?) for multicore GPUs:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20834

Support for a new page APG v3 GPU advise
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5057&start=50#p135396
(or better with upcoming Version apg 3.5)

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:32 pm 

Let me add the fact kolor is not responding even to the complaint they are not responding..... well at least they are consistent. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 pm 

one more aspect.
VSphere 5.5 supports to passthrough any pci device - like a GPU Card - and to apply this device dedicated to any VM you like.
Limitation is that the dedicated device only can be used by this (and only this) VM.
In this way you can Setup 2 VMs and apply two power GPU Cards (one Card to each VM) and you can run in the VMs 2x APG...

Georg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:10 am 

gkaefer wrote:
one more aspect.
VSphere 5.5 supports to passthrough any pci device - like a GPU Card - and to apply this device dedicated to any VM you like.
Limitation is that the dedicated device only can be used by this (and only this) VM.
In this way you can Setup 2 VMs and apply two power GPU Cards (one Card to each VM) and you can run in the VMs 2x APG...

Georg

Sounds cool. Hope someone in the cloud will offer this for their VM's. I tested VM's in the cloud. Was not bad how things were running but not having a GPU and slow disk i/o made me go back to my own system. Maybe this will make it different.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:43 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
one more aspect.

Georg

Hi Georg!

Some weeks ago i talked to one of the developers of Maxwell-renderer - defionitely one of the most advanced high-end renderers - as well as "Real Flow" a movie-industry standard for
simulating water. To be seen in 90% of the movies where water/flood and so on is prominent.

http://www.maxwellrender.com/
http://www.nextlimit.com/products/name/realflow

What´s most interesting: they don´t aim to GPU/multiGPU technology at all. They use processor-speed and the numbers of processors and cores. They say
that this way is more flexible and independent from changes in GPU-architectures.

Their absolutely high-end results seem to prove they´re right. Look at the reels - most impressing . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

Hast Du Freude mit dem Panoneed? :) :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:42 pm 

klausesser wrote:
gkaefer wrote:
one more aspect.

Georg

Hi Georg!

Some weeks ago i talked to one of the developers of Maxwell-renderer - defionitely one of the most advanced high-end renderers - as well as "Real Flow" a movie-industry standard for
simulating water. To be seen in 90% of the movies where water/flood and so on is prominent.

http://www.maxwellrender.com/
http://www.nextlimit.com/products/name/realflow

What´s most interesting: they don´t aim to GPU/multiGPU technology at all. They use processor-speed and the numbers of processors and cores. They say
that this way is more flexible and independent from changes in GPU-architectures.

Their absolutely high-end results seem to prove they´re right. Look at the reels - most impressing . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

Hast Du Freude mit dem Panoneed? :) :cool:

impressive! yeah would make life easier, if apg could do it using CPU instead insisting on GPU.
I can understand kolor does not wanna be dependant on propietary GPU vendor techniques which are changing all 6 months.

Georg

PS: panoneed: simply wow! with my third testpano I could create better results than struggling 1.5 years with using the merlin head. Currently I've less time to find nodal Points for my lenses and to fiugre out all scale values (Body with and without battterygrip using different lenses and different focals). I've so far finished only one lens and focals 18+24+28+35mm. I also implemented my promote to my panoneed... first 800 images shot and the panoneed battery is still at 100% Level ;-) the Nadir is amazingly small... less than 1/3 of the merlin one... in next step I will order a carbon tripod (for outdoor) to assist my 9kg manfrotto tripod (I dont wanna carry this one outdoors anymore ;-) ... than I've to find some nice spots to take panos ;-))

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:22 am 

gkaefer wrote:

impressive! yeah would make life easier, if apg could do it using CPU instead insisting on GPU.
I can understand kolor does not wanna be dependant on propietary GPU vendor techniques which are changing all 6 months.

APG IS using CPU only for rendering. The GPU is only used for preview.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:24 am 

HansKeesom wrote:
gkaefer wrote:

APG IS using CPU only for rendering. The GPU is only used for preview.

I know.
no propiertary Technology will be supported like Cudas, like SLI or equivalent from AMD. this is ok... but than why not do the preview without GPU at all and only using the CPU. it is much easier to build a Setup with more Ram than adding more GPU RAM power. than for preview Phase you could assign 75% of your ram for preview purpose... and when all is done and you will render the pano you could assign 90% to renderengine...

Georg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:19 am 

gkaefer wrote:
but than why not do the preview without GPU at all and only using the CPU. it is much easier to build a Setup with more Ram than adding more GPU RAM power. than for preview Phase you could assign 75% of your ram for preview purpose... and when all is done and you will render the pano you could assign 90% to renderengine...

Georg

It be done using CPU alone if GPU is disabled.

Attachments:
1-apg308-cpu-only.jpg
1-apg308-cpu-only.jpg [ 239.73 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:06 pm 

mediavets wrote:
gkaefer wrote:
but than why not do the preview without GPU at all and only using the CPU. it is much easier to build a Setup with more Ram than adding more GPU RAM power. than for preview Phase you could assign 75% of your ram for preview purpose... and when all is done and you will render the pano you could assign 90% to renderengine...

Georg

So after months of reading and thinking and trying to decide between :
1. buying a large internal drive and using the onboard SSD cache to make it faster
2. buying another PCI-e SSD to have more fast tempspace and pagefile
3. buying a GPU to speed up preview
I finally was close to buying a GTX titan and now you tell me I should concentrate on speeding up preview without GPU....

how? replacing again my motherboard?

;-)

Or are we saying Kolor should programm a bit better and use the whole CPU with all it's cores and all RAM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:17 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:
mediavets wrote:
gkaefer wrote:

Georg

So after months of reading and thinking and trying to decide between :
1. buying a large internal drive and using the onboard SSD cache to make it faster
2. buying another PCI-e SSD to have more fast tempspace and pagefile
3. buying a GPU to speed up preview
I finally was close to buying a GTX titan and now you tell me I should concentrate on speeding up preview without GPU....

how? replacing again my motherboard?

;-)

Or are we saying Kolor should programm a bit better and use the whole CPU with all it's cores and all RAM

no... Keep on going.... (me too I will buy a Titan or some newer in 2-4 months and I will plug up to 256GB Ram into my Xeon dual Motherboard)
I could use up to 2 Titans... so for me it would be perfect if kolor would say... lets Support SLI - if they would say they Support AMD Crossfire I would buy AMD Cards...)
but it makes no sense to only stay on one Card only politics and so Limit the user to 6GB GDRRAM
and replacing the 1000€ Card after 6 months or so with a 1500€ Card which than fire 8 GB GDDRRAM cant be a solution....

so in Long term there shoudl be a way to implement usage of multiple Cards or using RAM instead (which is cheaper and the max usable per Motherboards is less limited, 512GB/768GB boards are not real big Investment (the Memory itself.... 1600€ for 256 GB is also affordable in some pieces....)

Georg

Post subject: uad
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:12 pm 

mediavets wrote:
gkaefer wrote:

Georg

The problem is: you cannot move images visually - which means: you move the numbered dot and the frame wich represent the image, but you can´t see the image itself live for positioning.
For seing the moving image live you need a modern GPU. I know that because my GPU was too old and i needed to take the 8 cores of my two processors . . which is fast enough for everything - but didn´t show me the moving image when i needed to position it by hand.

I needed to buy an actual graphic card for my MacPro and bought a nVidia Quadro which runs after i edited the driver´s installer.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:55 pm 

gkaefer wrote:

no... Keep on going.... (me too I will buy a Titan or some newer in 2-4 months and I will plug up to 256GB Ram into my Xeon dual Motherboard)
I could use up to 2 Titans... so for me it would be perfect if kolor would say... lets Support SLI - if they would say they Support AMD Crossfire I would buy AMD Cards...)
but it makes no sense to only stay on one Card only politics and so Limit the user to 6GB GDRRAM
and replacing the 1000€ Card after 6 months or so with a 1500€ Card which than fire 8 GB GDDRRAM cant be a solution....

so in Long term there shoudl be a way to implement usage of multiple Cards or using RAM instead (which is cheaper and the max usable per Motherboards is less limited, 512GB/768GB boards are not real big Investment (the Memory itself.... 1600€ for 256 GB is also affordable in some pieces....)

Georg[/quote]

Ok good to hear.
I spend too much time panning and tilting through panoramas and waiting for the preview to finish, making it hard to earn a decent hourrate. The GPU should earn itself back rather quick I guess. 1000 euro GPU is earned back once it have saved me 20-30 hours behind the computer ;-)

Multi-GPU would be great, even when eacht editor would only be able to run on one GPU. Imagine switching to another editor while the first one does preview.
Off course SLI to make preview for one panorama faster is even greater.

"1600€ for 256 GB is also affordable in some pieces." Sure, like all investments, if it helps you do things faster it is worth it.
Sometimes I wish I had migrated to a multi-xeon board with more memory slots. O well, the current machine is maybe a good in between.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:38 pm 

So the card has been ordered, should arrive in a few days. 969 euro incl vat. Hope it will indeed speed up editing the expected 10 times..