Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:43 am 

Hi..

What is the best and SAFEST upgrade OS X upgrade for my iMac.. I have heard so many stories that update can cause many issues with other software on my Mac, but I just don't know.. I tried phoning Apply but they are not answering..

An upgrade might be able to allow me to upgrade Safari too, which will fix other issues with PTP.

Thank you

Destiny..

Attachments:
Mac-OS-X-opp.png
Mac-OS-X-opp.png [ 34.43 KiB | Viewed 834 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:24 am 

Hi.. Has anyone updated from 10.6.8 to Mavericks.. ??

Its a free update but I am worried about the rest of my software working..

Destiny..

Attachments:
OS-X-update.jpg
OS-X-update.jpg [ 48.39 KiB | Viewed 828 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:04 pm 

I know you rejected this before but I would urge you to have a look at http://macmemory.com/ again.

Depending on what the more info button says you can upgrade to 32 GB (likely 16 GB for you) for 200 US$

Memory makes all the difference...........while I write this my 64 GB is running 7600 KM from where I am now on a 16340 * 29196 panorama that needs to be on an 11 m * 2,5 m wall at at least 150 DPI..... exiting! and a bit scary to see the cpu at 100% all the time..

You might also look at dimension data machine in the cloud offer. Should cost 25 dollar a month when not using the machine, but giving you up till 128 GB and many XEON's when needed.... No Mac OS though

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:36 pm 

Yes Hans, we seriously considered it but John decided it was too risky.. We appreciated your suggestion too. Its not my iMac, I just use it mostly.. I have never even owned a computer of my own in my life.. I used my mums PC in Thailand, the university computes at uni, and my sisters mac book in Thailand.. I am saving up to by a new iMac.. oh hum.. Christmas killed that off again.., our little girl comes first always.. I did have a bit saved but I sent that to the Philippines weeks ago.. Its all good now.. Very scary hour and a bit yesterday; we updated to Mavericks, which seems to be working fine at the moment.. We backed up everything first onto TimeMachine and HDs.. Its a real shame Apple made this iMac out a RAM upgrade option. Not to worry... Santa might bring me something nice today... We are off to the mountains for dinner..

Happy Christmas day to everyone...

Destiny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:50 pm 

Destiny wrote:
Yes Hans, we seriously considered it but John decided it was too risky.. We appreciated your suggestion too. Its not my iMac, I just use it mostly.. I have never even owned a computer of my own in my life.. I used my mums PC in Thailand, the university computes at uni, and my sisters mac book in Thailand.. I am saving up to by a new iMac.. oh hum.. Christmas killed that off again.., our little girl comes first always.. I did have a bit saved but I sent that to the Philippines weeks ago.. Its all good now.. Very scary hour and a bit yesterday; we updated to Mavericks, which seems to be working fine at the moment.. We backed up everything first onto TimeMachine and HDs.. Its a real shame Apple made this iMac out a RAM upgrade option. Not to worry... Santa might bring me something nice today... We are off to the mountains for dinner..

Happy Christmas day to everyone...

Destiny

It is a real shame how Apple makes any mac's.....
So you re using this forum to put pressure on your husband he? ..... ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:06 pm 

Actually Hans, he paid my little bank loan off yesterday I took out to buy my wonderful Sigma 50-500mm. So now I do not have to worry about that and can save up for my new iMac.. Even my old Granny has stopped taking money from me to pay for my VR Drive and D800... She has been using cameras long before digital.. We both get excited when we go out together to play with our photography gear.. It just gets a bit frustrating to stubble with processing some of my images on John iMac..

BTW... I decided not to buy this Mac Pro since I could never expand on it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Destiny

Attachments:
MacPro.jpg
MacPro.jpg [ 315.02 KiB | Viewed 805 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:11 pm 

Destiny wrote:

BTW... I decided not to buy this Mac Pro since I could never expand on it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Destiny

yet another mac that was made wrong by design...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:30 pm 

To be honest, I have to agree that its shape is not what I would like to see with all this new technology... I feel the designer was chucking old cans into bin and had a eureka moment... I viewed the movie with the new Mac Pro being machined out of a solid piece of aluminium.. Its all very impress but I think they could have done better with the shape of it.. For me, I love their iMac.. But I can never understands Apples fascination with how thin they can make their products. The new iMac has no inbuilt DVD but they do provide a drive for them.. I still have lots of software on DVD and music. So one of those would be on my Santa's list...

I have tested out some of my apps on this new Mavericks OS X and have not found any issues.. I really feel people should not make stupid comments on the interent about false statements, when its clear that its not a big deal to upgrade... Now I have the latest Safari too, which is a bonus.. The new OS X has much more 3D depth in appearance in the UI.. I was really worried about upgrading but its all good... So far.. Some others have said the Virtual Tours run terribly with Safari.. I really do not see this.. I think perhaps its their machine that has the issues or even their internet speed... But as far as I can tell, its great... A big worry lifted....

No sign of Santa yet.. I stayed up most of the night too.. and got up early.. I didn't hear a thing.. The milk and cookies I left out, which John said was necessary, were gone when I got up.. I am sure a little girl woke up during the night and made those disappear.. Talking about things disappearing.. I dreamt last night that I was eating a 5kg marshmallow, but even stranger, this morning I could not find my pillow anywhere... :p

Destiny..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:28 pm 

The Eureka moment must have been something like "Yeah lets do something different".

A standard case like this http://www.alternate.nl/Corsair/Obsidia ... t/1055487/
would have worked also, just as well verticall cooling.
My Asus sabertooth x79 motherboard could use it. At the moment I am leaning heavily on it's smart cooling technology, fans blowing a bit loud sometimes ;-)

I am typing this on a white Acer Aspire One with an Apple sticker on it's back. People often are surprised to see that Apple make such small notebooks ;-)

Hope you get what you hope for. Keep us posted

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:36 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:
Destiny wrote:

Destiny

Hans - that depends largely on what you need to use it for. For photography and graphics/layout/design works the Mac Pro is quite fine
even in the basic configuration. I sat in frot of one and worked in Photoshop - it´s absolutely great, like a charm.
I didn´t try APG or PTP - but there´s a lot of OpenCL developlment going on . . . which will boost it very much.

Using it with Cinemy4D and Maya as well as with MediaComposer it´s a pure joy working on it.

Of course: we as professional users need to re-think hardware-strategies. I appriciate the strategy of external components: you can use them
on different machines instead of needing to buy a card for each of them . . . . and you can use it on lacation: the Pro is so small that you can
take it to almost every location you´re shooting when you use not too big display.
You can even use the external devices on a coming generation of MacBooks.

So in the end as a producer you save a lot of money.

Doing 3D-design and 3D resp. animation work with 3D-CGI rendering i wouldn´t go for it, if there´s a demand for dedicated cards - which i didn´t
encounter so far. Also for panos over 25GPx i would prefer a PC. But i use MacPro AND PC anyway . . . . :cool:

You see: it´s ALWAYS a question of what you REALLY need . . . i would HATE working ONLY on Windows . . =|

An actual top-model iMac with i7, 1TB SSD, fast external HD and 32/64(?)GB RAM should do good enough for APG and PTP - and you can put it into a flat flight-case
for using it on the road. I rented such a setup some weeks ago for a people-shooting on location - it performed absolutely great with D800- and H4/40-image data in Photoshop.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:58 pm 

klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:
Destiny wrote:

Destiny

Hans - that depends largely on what you need to use it for. For photography and graphics/layout/design works the Mac Pro is quite fine
even in the basic configuration. I sat in frot of one and worked in Photoshop - it´s absolutely great, like a charm.
I didn´t try APG or PTP - but there´s a lot of OpenCL developlment going on . . . which will boost it very much.

Using it with Cinemy4D and Maya as well as with MediaComposer it´s a pure joy working on it.

Of course: we as professional users need to re-think hardware-strategies. I appriciate the strategy of external components: you can use them
on different machines instead of needing to buy a card for each of them . . . . and you can use it on lacation: the Pro is so small that you can
take it to almost every location you´re shooting when you use not too big display.
You can even use the external devices on a coming generation of MacBooks.

So in the end as a producer you save a lot of money.

Doing 3D-design and 3D resp. animation work with 3D-CGI rendering i wouldn´t go for it, if there´s a demand for dedicated cards - which i didn´t
encounter so far. Also for panos over 25GPx i would prefer a PC. But i use MacPro AND PC anyway . . . . :cool:

You see: it´s ALWAYS a question of what you REALLY need . . . i would HATE working ONLY on Windows . . =|

An actual top-model iMac with i7, 1TB SSD, fast external HD and 32/64(?)GB RAM should do good enough for APG and PTP - and you can put it into a flat flight-case
for using it on the road. I rented such a setup some weeks ago for a people-shooting on location - it performed absolutely great with D800- and H4/40-image data in Photoshop.

best, Klaus

Hi Klaus,

If they wanted to make a computer that is portable then a bucket is one of worst shapes to use. A lot of empty space. A better design would have been a double clammshell or triptych (Triptychon) that can be small and compact while traveling and opened up to have maximum ventilation when opened up.

All other things you mention can be had on most non-apple machines/platforms etc. I don't really get the dislike between windows and apple OS, just put some effort in them and both can be used.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:41 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:

Hi Klaus,

If they wanted to make a computer that is portable then a bucket is one of worst shapes to use. A lot of empty space. A better design would have been a double clammshell or triptych (Triptychon) that can be small and compact while traveling and opened up to have maximum ventilation when opened up.

All other things you mention can be had on most non-apple machines/platforms etc. I don't really get the dislike between windows and apple OS, just put some effort in them and both can be used.

Hey Hans!

Of course being mobile surely wasn´t the goal of Jonathan Ives . . . :cool:

My disliking of Windows has a long tradition. Win7 was the first which has a potential to win my liking *a bit* more . . :-)

Surely a question of what you´re used to - i need to do my work fluently and without caring for the system. I need to be fully concentrated on the job.
Here i found - and still find - Windows MUCH more clumsy and less elegant than MacOS. No surprise most designers prefer it over Win.

best, Klaus -

all of you have a beautiful Christmas!! ;) :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:05 pm 

I think it is a matter of getting used too. I have been using mac os regurlary during the last half year and I find it clumsy too, but find myself better and better dealing with this clumsyness. I am sure that if I give it more time I will get more comfortable.
So I believe the OS is really not an important point anymore.

Thanks to my parttime job in IT-support for a large university I have gotten some insight in users of the different platforms. I believe many people wrongfully believe the mac-os requires less knowledge of computertechnology then windows. Just on old rumor from the past people seem to hang on to even though reality has changed totally.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:39 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:
I believe many people wrongfully believe the mac-os requires less knowledge of computertechnology then windows.

Agree - that´s nonsense . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:57 pm 

I read so much about updating my OS X to Mavericks, and after reading so many suggestions and claims that it causes issues I decided not to update.. However, it came a time when I had to update to move forward, and after I backed up my stuff to TimeMachine we did the deed.. It was an hour+ of big worries.. After it was done, everything seems to work fine.. All my app so far work, some did an update but its all good, however it might be a bit slower now.. I do not like the interface much, its a bit grey, I like coloured icons.. It might have been a good thing to wait since the first Mavericks using Safari had security issues allowing access into the Mac from 'Others' with sinister thoughts.. But thats all good now, apparently.. I think Apple have done a great job of this OS X.. I can never see myself using Window since I find the Mac to be so much more user friendly than Windows.. But its all down to user preferences..

To be honest, I do not like the new Mac Pro bin design, it looks terrible.. Silly shape if you ask me.. The technology within however is just awesome.. Even though I do not like the shape of it, if I could afford to buy one I would probably buy for its power... But for me an iMac is the best option..

This one is doable...... in a few years. LOL.. but with a Thunderbolt HD setup.. But the Thunderbolt is far too expensive for me.. A great idea for those that need it for work backup and large panos.. At the moment I find myself deleting images to make space.. You can never have enough HS space...

Destiny....

Attachments:
iMac.jpg
iMac.jpg [ 190.35 KiB | Viewed 753 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:09 pm 

Destiny wrote:

.. I can never see myself using Window since I find the Mac to be so much more user friendly than Windows.. But its all down to user preferences..

To be honest, I do not like the new Mac Pro bin design, it looks terrible.. Silly shape if you ask me.. The technology within however is just awesome.. Even though I do not like the shape of it, if I could afford to buy one I would probably buy for its power... But for me an iMac is the best option..

This one is doable...... in a few years. LOL.. but with a Thunderbolt HD setup.. But the Thunderbolt is far too expensive for me.. A great idea for those that need it for work backup and large panos.. At the moment I find myself deleting images to make space.. You can never have enough HS space...

Destiny....

The best way for me to comment on this is to tell you about my favorite hobby that I have since a few months. What I do is I try to spot any negtive conviction I have and instead of leaving it a conviction I try to test it. Often that means doing something I was sure I would not do and often it means it looses all it's negative energy in my mind which is then replaced by facts and experiences.
So that is why I had my hair painted after being grey for over ten years and lost the strong negative feeling against it, it's not so bad, and learned that within a week time gray hairs shine through again. Feelings replaced by facts and now I can tell why I don't want to paint my hair.

I had some negative sentiments agains OS X so I installed it within VMware and used it for a while. It allowed me to loose the sentiments I had and get over the previous difficult first time experiences I had. One has to put in some elbow grease sometimes to get over a negative sentiment.
Now I know what OS-X is and am seriously able to compare it to windows 7/8, based on facts and not on sentiments.
Now I can conclude that though different they both work well enough to get work done.
The only difference now is that I can get a whole lot more power from a windows computer then I can get from a mac-computer for the same amount of money.
When facts are clear and feelings moved aside one can make an intelligent decision.

Often people are afraid and negative of things and people they do not know (enough). I can only advise them to do like I do with negative feelings : dive into them and find the truth behind them, don't hide behind them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:33 am 

We have just been to Brisbane City and checked out the new iMac.. Shame they did not have the new Mac Pro.. The 27" iMac is just awesome.. Very quick.. After viewing the video of APG 3.5 doing its thing, it makes me very envious when a computer can perform so quickly.. It takes soooo long for my iMac to run the same image.. The Mac monitors are just so vivid.. I can sit in front of one for hours without eye strain or headaches.. I guess each to their own.. For me I just love using a Mac.. I have yet to find a Widows mouse that can perform as well as a Magic mouse.... The new iMac is very thin on the edge, so no DVD player.. You need an external drive for that..

Perhaps next year.... :)

Destiny....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:03 pm 

Destiny wrote:
We have just been to Brisbane City and checked out the new iMac.. Shame they did not have the new Mac Pro.. The 27" iMac is just awesome.. Very quick.. After viewing the video of APG 3.5 doing its thing, it makes me very envious when a computer can perform so quickly.. It takes soooo long for my iMac to run the same image.. The Mac monitors are just so vivid.. I can sit in front of one for hours without eye strain or headaches.. I guess each to their own.. For me I just love using a Mac.. I have yet to find a Widows mouse that can perform as well as a Magic mouse.... The new iMac is very thin on the edge, so no DVD player.. You need an external drive for that..

Perhaps next year.... :)

Destiny....

When your iMac takes Mavericks it´s not as old as my MacPro. So i suggest to put more RAM in it - preferably the max. as it can take. This will give you a remarkable boost.
Also you should look whether it boots in 64bit-Kernel mode.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:36 pm 

Already suggested it, but they don't want to touch the machine.

Rather for the short term and not that expensive is the cloud
http://nacloud.dimensiondata.com/Cloud-Now/Pricing

Unfortunately no OS-X and one needs a bit of techno-knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:56 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:

They don´t need to "touch the machine" at all - they jut need to hit "6" + "4" while booting. That´s all.

They also can set the 64bit boot permanently in the Terminal by editing the setup-script.

No screwdriver, no risk at all.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:49 pm 

klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:

They don´t need to "touch the machine" at all - they jut need to hit "6" + "4" while booting. That´s all.

They also can set the 64bit boot permanently in the Terminal by editing the setup-script.

Klaus

You did write "So i suggest to put more RAM in it - preferably the max. as it can take." didn't you? Hence the touching.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:
klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:

Klaus

You did write "So i suggest to put more RAM in it - preferably the max. as it can take." didn't you? Hence the touching.

Yes - but that´s not related to 64bit-kernel booting.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:56 pm 

klausesser wrote:

Klaus

No indeed, but I was not refering to that, I was refering to your remark about ram expansion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Klaus

No indeed, but I was not refering to that, I was refering to your remark about ram expansion.

And i was referring to 64bit-kernel of course :cool: That you need to "touch" the machine for a RAM upgrade is quite obvious . . =D

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:30 pm 

klausesser wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:
klausesser wrote:

Klaus

And i was referring to 64bit-kernel of course :cool: That you need to "touch" the machine for a RAM upgrade is quite obvious . . =D

Klaus

Either way, I don't think she is gonna follow any of the two advice's ;-)