Best equipment setup for shooting 360 tour  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
taimooriqbal

Best equipment setup for shooting 360 tour

by taimooriqbal » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Dear All!
I'm planing buy equipment for shooting 360 tour. My target is to capture full 360x180 interior and exterios panoramas for 360 tours. Could you guys please comment if I'm on the right track or please give your suggestions..

Camera: Canon 6D (full frame) or please suggest
Lens: please suggest
Panoramic Head: Nodal Ninja 4 or Please suggest
Tripod: Please suggest?

Regarding budget I don't want to exceed $3000 max.
Do I need anything else to buy any accessory? Really need yours suggestions. Thanks in advance.

no avatar
HansKeesom

Re: Best equipment setup for shooting 360 tour

by HansKeesom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Panohead is great to start with, make sure you add the RD-16 rotator and the nodal ninja nadir adapter.

Camera : 6D is an understandable compromis by Canon, to have a cheap FF camera. But it is a good camera, certainly when you don't specially want to do sport or video.

Tripod : not too heavy and expensive, 150 dollar manfrotto like 055xpro

Lens : start with samyang 8 mm f3.5 to keep initial cost down. When you really make a lot of money you can upgrade.

Do you already have the software you need? Do you want stitching all yourself or outsource that part?

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:31 pm

HansKeesom wrote:Panohead is great to start with, make sure you add the RD-16 rotator and the nodal ninja nadir adapter.

Camera : 6D is an understandable compromis by Canon, to have a cheap FF camera. But it is a good camera, certainly when you don't specially want to do sport or video.

Lens : start with samyang 8 mm f3.5 to keep initial cost down. When you really make a lot of money you can upgrade.

Do you already have the software you need? Do you want stitching all yourself or outsource that part?

If you are recommending a fisheye lens- why would he need the R-D16 rotator?

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:48 pm

mediavets wrote:
HansKeesom wrote:Panohead is great to start with, make sure you add the RD-16 rotator and the nodal ninja nadir adapter.

If you are recommending a fisheye lens- why would he need the R-D16 rotator?

To be future proof. In the future he is likely to want to try different lenses. The RD-16 together with the NN-4 will make a set that can be used for many years to come in many situations.

But he, it is open for discussion. As long as he does not buy himself an auto-panohead like the epic pro. Worst way to get started..... ;-)

no avatar
taimooriqbal

by taimooriqbal » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks a lot @HansKeesom. I just ordered Nodal ninja 4 which comes with RD 16 rotator. (NN4 w/ RD16-II Advanced Rotator (F4503)
Regarding stitching we already bought Kolor panotour pro 2.0 and we also have PTgui for stitching.
Also the reason why I didn't wanted to go for Epic pro is I don't feel much attraction to epic pro as a business man but yea as a hobbyist I would love to have one because I'm more interested in taking full spherical panorama not just Hi-resolution 360 pictures.
I tried google quickly if Epic Pro can give full spherical 360x180 but I couldn't get any positive answers and I really had to order by today as I'm in the middle of a project.
Big thanks for suggestions really appreciated. you gave me confident before I made my orders. :)

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:59 pm

taimooriqbal wrote:Thanks a lot @HansKeesom. I just ordered Nodal ninja 4 which comes with RD 16 rotator. (NN4 w/ RD16-II Advanced Rotator (F4503)
Regarding stitching we already bought Kolor panotour pro 2.0 and we also have PTgui for stitching.
Also the reason why I didn't wanted to go for Epic pro is I don't feel much attraction to epic pro as a business man but yea as a hobbyist I would love to have one because I'm more interested in taking full spherical panorama not just Hi-resolution 360 pictures.
I tried google quickly if Epic Pro can give full spherical 360x180 but I couldn't get any positive answers and I really had to order by today as I'm in the middle of a project.
Big thanks for suggestions really appreciated. you gave me confident before I made my orders. :)

Good luck with your first project. If you need any help, feel free to ask for it here, in a PM or on skype : hanskeesom.

Using a big ballhead one should be able to make full 360*180 using the epic pro but boy is that the long and hard way home.....
Epic pro is not for fishey 360*180 panoramas. It is best to be used for longer lens partial panoramas.

Hope you did order the nadir adapter.

Hope you will be able to stitch everything with PTGUI, if not dropbox them to me on hans@alsofjeerbent.nl Maybe you/we should do a test first to see if your shooting pattern and NN4 settings are correct/optimal.
Regards, Hans Keesom
I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

no avatar
mediavets

by mediavets » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 pm

taimooriqbal wrote:Thanks a lot @HansKeesom. I just ordered Nodal ninja 4 which comes with RD 16 rotator. (NN4 w/ RD16-II Advanced Rotator (F4503)

Do NOT get an Epic Pro for shooting 360x180 panos.

It is not designed for that purpose and will not do it well; as Hans said it is deigned for shooting particular panos (panos with a HFOV of much less than 360 and a VFOV of much less than 180)with longer focal length lenses.

no avatar
HansKeesom

by HansKeesom » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:58 pm

mediavets wrote:...... it is deigned for shooting particular panos (panos with a HFOV of much less than 360 and a VFOV of much less than 180)with longer focal length lenses.

Recently shot a 1000 picture panorama at 200 mm using my NN5, no problem. Was happy not to have an epic pro because I was standing on a boat that was going up and down, left and right, would not have worked with an epic pro ;-)

Return to Hardware